X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question!

New here! So please excuse me if this is posted in the wrong forum. 2 questions!

1) What if I'm in the Army NG in state A, but I get into medical school in state B, Can I transfer states so that I don't have to drive so far to drill? Also, would I still get the benefit of having my education paid for if I transfer states?

2) Say I do a 3 year enlistment plus the 5 years in IRR and I serve those 2 years no problem, but because of the nature of medical school, if you miss even 2 weeks because you're deployed, you would have to repeat the full year over because you miss too much material. In addition, drilling once a month is very difficult in medical school. Can I transfer early to IRR and then serve that 1 year I have left after I finish medical school? I'm simply trying to find a way that I won't be deployed while I'm in medical school.

Thanks!

Re: Question!

I can help with a little bit of this.

You can certainly drill in one state and live/work/go to school in another. And you can "transfer" from one guard unit to another. However, you don't just wake up one day, want to be in the IRR, Active Army or drill in another state and it just happens. These are requests that must be approved by your chain of command.

It sounds like you want to know how to get school paid for, serve the least amount of time possible (since drilling once a month alone seems it would difficult) according to you and avoid deployment as much as possible. A lot can happen in the next 8 years. All 3 of the Army branches can pull people from the IRR if they need to.

Balancing life, school and the military is difficult, but it has been done by many others before you. While the military has made great progress in accomodating soldiers, you are still under a contractual obligation to them. It's part of the deal . You give them 8 years of your life. They give you valuable skills, a paycheck, educational benefits, etc etc.
    Last edited by SteveLord; March 15th, 2013, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NGwannabe View Post
      New here! So please excuse me if this is posted in the wrong forum. 2 questions!

1) What if I'm in the Army NG in state A, but I get into medical school in state B, Can I transfer states so that I don't have to drive so far to drill? Also, would I still get the benefit of having my education paid for if I transfer states?

2) Say I do a 3 year enlistment plus the 5 years in IRR and I serve those 2 years no problem, but because of the nature of medical school, if you miss even 2 weeks because you're deployed, you would have to repeat the full year over because you miss too much material. In addition, drilling once a month is very difficult in medical school. Can I transfer early to IRR and then serve that 1 year I have left after I finish medical school? I'm simply trying to find a way that I won't be deployed while I'm in medical school.

Thanks!
      SteveLord had very good answers for most of your questions.

I would recommend is that you speak with the AMEDD recruiter about getting you a line and para (slot) in the medical unit of the state of your choosing. That medical unit will be far more accommodating of your medical school endeavors than any other unit simply because they understand the workload required to be successful in medical school. I've seen LTs going to med school in the medical unit spend the entire drill in the backroom studying. It happens. But you know what? You're no good to them if you fail out of med school so that's why they cut you a lot of slack.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
        I can help with a little bit of this.

You can certainly drill in one state and live/work/go to school in another. And you can "transfer" from one guard unit to another. However, you don't just wake up one day, want to be in the IRR, Active Army or drill in another state and it just happens. These are requests that must be approved by your chain of command.

It sounds like you want to know how to get school paid for, serve the least amount of time possible (since drilling once a month alone seems it would difficult) according to you and avoid deployment as much as possible. A lot can happen in the next 8 years. All 3 of the Army branches can pull people from the IRR if they need to.

Balancing life, school and the military is difficult, but it has been done by many others before you. While the military has made great progress in accomodating soldiers, you are still under a contractual obligation to them. It's part of the deal . You give them 8 years of your life. They give you valuable skills, a paycheck, educational benefits, etc etc.
        Oh no I'm not trying to get all the benefits and serve the least amount if time possibly. That is absolutely not my intention as I'm interested in being a doctor in the military but I can't do HPSP, USUHS or FAP for reasons I just don't feel like explaining because its a long story. I don't see how I'm trying to take and take from the military and not give. I want to serve those 2 years and then when I'm done with medical school (4 years) pick up where I left off and continue the rest of my 6 year obligation for a total of 8 years served which is the contract because after medical school ill be in a place that I can drill without any issues. That's the whole point. I'm not joining because I want them to pay for school because if I get into a top 10 research medical school that isn't state owned (and therefore not paid for by the NG) I'm going no matter what and I'm not doing the 6 yr so I won't even get a GI bill to pay for all of the schooling I've completed because I graduated already. I'm clearly getting very little out of this in the long run. I am doing it because I want to serve my county

Comment

Gotcha. Then I would side with the LT and get some guidance from some medical officers in the Guard.

Comment

Working...
          X