X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about joining the National Guard

Okay, this may be a fairly ridiculous question, however I have done extensive research on the National Guard and I am 99.98% positive that I want to join, however I have one issue...

I am generally a shy person, and I'm very quiet. I guess it's a result of my lack of confidence. I was wondering if the Guard would help with this, or just intensify it?

It isn't as if I have any psychological condition, I just have a quiet demeanor. I want to become more confidence and assured, and this is one of the many reasons I want to join.

Thoughts? Have you encountered any shy people in the Guard?

Re: Question about joining the National Guard

You just have written that shyest post I ever read.

Comment

Your confidence should be through the roof by the time you finish training. You are taught to be sure of your self no matter what! You need to speak up when spoken to; Even if you are wrong as hell! When you reach a certain point int training, every platoon gets a trainee put in charge of their platoon. This person is sometimes required to make really important decisions on the spot.... Better yet, I'll explain it this way...
      Everything during your training, is put into this perspective; It is life or death. Its either yes or no. There's no "I'm not sure" "Maybe". The decision you make could have great consequences, or terrible ones. And in order to deal with that, you need to have confidence no matter what you do!

Take a look at the soldiers creed. My favorite part is "I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough..." I could feel the shyness coming from your post. Start working on that now, always be sure of yourself, no more I guess. From the time you raise your right hand, and pledge to defend this country, you should feel like one of the best people walking around because you will be!
      Get in contact with me if you have any questions what so ever!
      email: ann.m.gabriel@us.army.mil

Comment

Originally posted by rabbithole View Post
        I am generally a shy person, and I'm very quiet. I guess it's a result of my lack of confidence. I was wondering if the Guard would help with this, or just intensify it?
        It could go either way. The intensity of your training experience could build your confidence, or it could drive you nuts.

The good news about the National Guard is that you'll have some preparation time prior to Basic Training. You will drill monthly with your local RSP detachment, and the cadre there will work with you on basic Soldier skills. Thus, when you arrive at Basic you will already have some familiarity and experience, and it will hit you as less of a shock.

It may help if you can internalize that all the stress, yelling, pushups, etc. is part of the training process. Some people call it a "game," and that's not the best metaphor, although I understand why they say that. If you can intellectually internalize those facts, it will be easier for you to take.

Other people have faced your situation and succeeded. You can succeed also.

Comment

Thank you for the responses! I am very good at compartmentalizing, and so I believe I'll be able to internalize all the stress that comes with BCT. I suppose in an environment like Basic Training everyone is a bit nervous and shy, so I wouldn't be alone.

My parents think I'm not social enough to join the military, but I think it's the right decision for me, so that's what counts.

Comment

We'll be glad to have you.

Comment

You do not have to be social or have confidence. When you go through basic training you are taught to have neither. But upon graduating you will have a sense of pride and accomplishment. The Army is not for socialites. That being said, your issues with confidence should be addressed. Go through basic training and become a soldier. That should give you all the confidence that you need. Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
              X