X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does Voluntary Deployment work?

As some of you know, I just recently enlisted as a 12M, and will be attending BCT in September. I was told very early on in the process that this specific MOS position that I filled was a non-deployable position due to the fact that it is at a training facility. That made my family breath a sigh of relief
    However, I was also told that I could volunteer for deployments that do come available. How does this work?

Can I only volunteer for deployments that have a need for my specific MOS? Or can I volunteer for one that has a need for a totally different MOS (13B, 15F, 19D etc.)?

Re: How does Voluntary Deployment work?

Originally posted by Fireman4X4 View Post
    As some of you know, I just recently enlisted as a 12M, and will be attending BCT in September. I was told very early on in the process that this specific MOS position that I filled was a non-deployable position due to the fact that it is at a training facility. That made my family breath a sigh of relief
    However, I was also told that I could volunteer for deployments that do come available. How does this work?

Can I only volunteer for deployments that have a need for my specific MOS? Or can I volunteer for one that has a need for a totally different MOS (13B, 15F, 19D etc.)?
    You can join a unit that has an upcoming deployment and vacant slots and they would send you to MOS-Q school to be re-classed. You would just have to find out what units are deploying and if they have vacant slots, then contact their Readiness NCO.

Comment

First, no position in the Army is non-deployable, although in a de facto sense that may be your current situation based on the fact that you are in a TDA unit and there are no other MTOE units in your state with the 12M MOS.

When a unit preps for deployment with vacancies there will typically be a call for volunteers. The first look is for soldiers who are MOS qualified in the vacancy. The second step is to involuntarily cross level soldiers who hold the MOS. If vacancies still exist, they will look to volunteers who are not MOS-Q. If there is time prior to the deployment, and they can find school seats, they will reclass you as the LT mentioned.

However, with the retrograde operations in Afghanistan already underway with a potential end date of only a year and a half away, and you not even off to IADT yet...until North Korea nukes South Korea or Iran attacks Israel or something, I think you're out of luck.

Comment

Thank you, to both of you! I really appreciate your help.

Comment

As the force continues to do short rotations in other theatres (Africa, Kuwait, etc.), there will still be opportunities out there. Google "Tour of Duty" where you can search postings of positions that units need to fill for these rotations/deployments/etc. You'll also commonly find CONUS assignments at training centers and the like on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
            You can join a unit that has an upcoming deployment and vacant slots and they would send you to MOS-Q school to be re-classed. You would just have to find out what units are deploying and if they have vacant slots, then contact their Readiness NCO.
            That's not always true, just fyi - if it's a non standard mission and the unit is deploying under a DMD, you generally have a little wiggle room.

Comment

Working...
            X