X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning to complete Path to Honor this weekend

Hi, Im planning to complete path to honor this weekend and wanted to know what I should expect. I am 24yr old, working on a MA in Political Science with just 2 more semesters to go after this spring semester so I wanted to know if I could sign up under the Split Option Training (complete BCT this summer and finish my AIT the next semester after my final semester of grad school)? I am also interested in the SLRP, but from my understanding that is not something I could receive under the Split Option training since I have never served in the military in any capacity before. If I were to sign for a 8 yr contract however, would I be able to get both Split Option Training and SLRP written into my contract, or is that something I would have to apply for after I complete either BCT or AIT with the understanding that its something that I may or may not get down the road (as in its not a guaranteed thing)? I have also studied abroad in the Middle East 8 months studying at universities in Jordan in Israel within the last few years, and by the time I complete graduate school will have completed 4-5 yrs of Arabic, is that something I can take advantage of in the ARNG, since I am interested in a MOS of either 35F or 35M? Any helpful responses are appreciated.

Re: Planning to complete Path to Honor this weekend

Why are you not seeking internships or a career in an alphabet agency?

Comment

That is definitely down the line, however I believe the army would open even more opportunities for me and I want more first hand/real world and on the ground experience than what an alphabet agency would allow me (at least for the first few years), I live just outside of the Capitol so it wouldnt be hard to do one, and I already have former professors that made a career out of working for some of those alphabet agencies who would write a great letter of recommendation for me when I apply, but again I just want more experience and another goal to work towards.

Comment

Some of the more experienced may have advice more prudent than what I offer, but none the less I will state the obvious. The National guard has limited positions for what you are seeking. What I mean is its function is specifically focused. Now, national guard focus on international developments is dependent on others to determine areas of focus. The military will provide, but that does not mean it will provide anything that say a job announcement seeks. I am not trying to say 'do not do it' I am only advising to do the deep dirty look at what you want. Also, mandarin, pacific island dialects and north african dialects are the next dlab fav's. You have a plan, but I think you are selling yourself short.

Comment

I understand, as I wouldnt know where my area of operation would be until I really got further down the road, and for all I know all my int'l deployments could be going to S. Korea or anywhere else that my language skills and education at this point hasnt really covered, or I could never get deployed overseas for anything besides training in other countries. I am not doing the Nat'l guard in lieu of a career in one of the alphabet agencies, thankfully since 9/11 many of the alphabet agencies (including my top 2 picks Id like to work for), are open to having their people serve in both the Nat'l Guard and work for them as either field/special agents or support so by joining I wouldnt be harming my potential for starting my career.

Comment

Working...
          X