Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions about joining the Guard.

I'm a junior in high school and about to finish JROTC I. I had been considering the Army National Guard before I started taking the class, but the class really opened my eyes up to the opportunities the Guard offers and has made me a MUCH better student and person all in just one class. I participated in Drill Team and P.T. And loved it. Well, I loved Drill Team. PT; I hate doing it, but the feeling afterwards is great. That having been said, I'm almost certain at this point I'm joining the Guard. I live in the tiny state of Delaware, so the job selection for the ANG isn't huge. It's: Transportation, Communications, Electronic Repair, Army Band Musicians, Vehicle Maintenance, Diesel Mechanics, Construction Trades, Military Police, Journalists, Food service, Avionics, Supply and Service Support. I was looking the most at Military Police, because I can't really picture myself doing any of the either things. That might change however as I meet more with my recruiter. I'm planning on doing Split Op (Basic Junior Summer, AIT Senior Summer), and then joining ROTC in the University of Delaware, I'm hoping to get accepted into. I know if you do SMP you are considered undeployable for the time you are in ROTC. I plan on doing that, as I would like to get my college degree on time. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to graduate a year or half a year late though. (Major in Business/Healthcare Management hopefully).
    So my questions are these:
    When I complete ROTC, and I make the choice as to what I want to be an officer in. What would the different choices (reserve, national guard, active duty) entail as for being an MP officer?
    What are the main differences between those choices ?
    What would college while doing the national guard and ROTC be like?
    I know the benefits for the NG in general, but are there any specific benefits for MP?
    Say I were to stay in the military twenty years, get my retirement points for my pension, and retire. What would the pension look like?
    What exactly are retirement points?
    As an MP, I know that you deploy alot. One of my friends said the national guard deploys more than the actual army. Maybe less now with the war winding down, but still. And I'm fine with that, going over seas and serving my country. But an MP typically just patrols the bases, right? And I guess I'm wondering if my life would be in immediate danger. I want to maybe hold down a civilian job.

And in general for a person in my position what advice do you have?

Re: Some questions about joining the Guard.

When I complete ROTC, and I make the choice as to what I want to be an officer in. What would the different choices (reserve, national guard, active duty) entail as for being an MP officer?
    - Depends. If you accept a GRFD scholarship, you are bound to serve in the NG or USAR, period. In addition, you are *normally* able to choose your own branch because it is on you to find the unit that you want to go to. If not, then you are left up to the whims of the NG OSM or USAR Control (Rare, but happens for those cadets who are lazy and don't do the legwork).

- If you accept a Regular scholarship, then you compete with the rest of the cadets in the nation for slots/branching. Top cadets get the component and branch of their choice. Bottom cadets get whatever is left over, regardless of "desire". Pretty simple really.

Basically, if you absolutely, positively have to have a certain branch and to heck with everything else, NG/USAR is the way to go.

What are the main differences between those choices ?
    - See above.

What would college while doing the national guard and ROTC be like?
    - I assume you are asking what college life will be like while doing ROTC and SMP. Each experience is different. You'll be a full time student for your academics. In addition, you'll be taking an MS course and MS LAB plus daily (or so) PT plus other activities (FTX, extracurricular stuff, etc) for ROTC. You'll be fairly busy, especially if you do a frat or anything else like that.

You'll also drill one weekend a month and have AT during the summer (if you don't have an ROTC activity, like LTC or LDAC). Some units will count that as AT, some won't. It all depends.

Say I were to stay in the military twenty years, get my retirement points for my pension, and retire. What would the pension look like?
    - Google.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_E29 View Post
      I know if you do SMP you are considered undeployable for the time you are in ROTC.
      You are non-deployable after you contract with ROTC (usually your Junior year). If you're drilling with a unit, but have not contracted with ROTC, you'll still drill as a PFC/SPC whatever, and you'll deploy when your unit does. This is a very important distinction. If you don't want to deploy, and you're definitely doing ROTC, just join ROTC. You can SMP your Jr and Sr year without going to BCT or AIT.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
        You are non-deployable after you contract with ROTC (usually your Junior year). If you're drilling with a unit, but have not contracted with ROTC, you'll still drill as a PFC/SPC whatever, and you'll deploy when your unit does. This is a very important distinction. If you don't want to deploy, and you're definitely doing ROTC, just join ROTC. You can SMP your Jr and Sr year without going to BCT or AIT.
        To caveat off what the Gun Bunny said, scholarships recipients have to contract with ROTC. If you able to secure one your freshman year, you contract at that point (ie - wear a dot to SMP drills, no deploy, etc).

4 year deals are fairly rare *except* for GRFD. And it helps already being in since you will be dealing with the school NG/USAR Liaison at that point (there is a whole slew of other benefits that come into play, but that's for another thread). Other than that, a lot of school programs want to see how you perform your MS I year (GPA, attendance, etc) before they offer scholarships. Not all, but a lot.

Just food for thought.... and nothing but love for the King of Battle.

Comment

Working...
        X