Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are Guardsmen given so much hate by Active Soldiers?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are Guardsmen given so much hate by Active Soldiers?

This is more of a rant than a question, but why is it Active Soldiers talk so badly about Guardsmen? I wanted Active, but didn't get it. My alternative was National Guard. I took it. But all I've got since from my "Brothers-in-Arms" is being told I'm not real military and me and the Guard are a joke. No matter how hard I work, I'll never work as hard as a Active Soldier. It's so frustrating. I guess if I wanted brotherhood, I should have joined the Marines.

I think the best person to answer/discuss this would be Chief sense he's switched from NG to AD (and only NG to AD guys are welcome)

Re: Why are Guardsmen given so much hate by Active Soldiers?

Well Chief definitely has done the switch, but that doesn't mean others on here aren't equally qualified to give you advice or try and answer your question.

I live and work among Active Duty soldiers daily, outside of my Guard commitment. These are primarily AD officers O-5 and above mind you. Never once have I gotten any disdain from any of them about being in the Guard and being any less of a soldier than them.

If you're getting crap from someone about it, they likely have never really had the opportunity to work combined arms style with their Reserve brethren. They're probably just echoing some sentiments from resentful soldier(s) from years past when the Guard still had that stigma about it, the whole one weekend a month mantra. That really just isn't true anymore. The Guard has transformed a ton in the last 12-13 years since the wars started and this just isn't the case any longer. Don't let some punks with chips on their shoulders make you feel like any less of a soldier.

Be proud of your Guard heritage and embrace it. We are the oldest component anyway and existed well before the traditional Army.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
      Well Chief definitely has done the switch, but that doesn't mean others on here aren't equally qualified to give you advice or try and answer your question.
      Agreed.

You are playing part of the role of "hate" by totally disowning our experience based on that we have only been National Guard.

For instance. I am AGR and work on an active duty post in the MDW area. I literally worked in a small building in between a Marine training detachment and a recovery engineer company. Not to mention, I work about 25 meters from the post barracks, so I see all the geo-bachelors.

None the less, I work, hang out, work out, and smack talk with these men and women daily. They have no qualms that I am in the guard because I keep my physique, show my respect, don't tell "Guard" stories, and respect them. Sure, I get the "nasty girls" comments once in awhile, but a quick, "Oh, how was your Iraq deployment?" "I didn't deploy" "Thought so" usually shuts them up.

It's the same treatment as they give civilians. Since you don't live the life all day every day, you're not a Soldier. You don't go to formations every morning, afternoon, and evening. You don't dress in your ASUs for Friday morning inspection (something I see outside my building every Friday morning). You don't fire your weapon every week/month/quarter. You don't understand the strain and stress of PCSing every 2-3 years. They have more things to worry about than "chasing tornados" such as preparing for invasions of Korea, the Pacific, Africa, Europe, Americas, etc. They go to boards to earn their rank instead of being put on a list. I have more ARCOMS and AAMs than an active duty SFC.

It's easier in the Guard but I get their respect because I admit it.

Being a supply sergeant, however, is undeniably harder in the Guard. Not only am I the comsec custodian, but I am the armorer, NBC 'guy', sams-e operator, food service person, tamms clerk, transportation clerk, and key custodian. I just had to input that

Comment

Being in the NG can be more difficult then RA, especially when we are talking about balancing civilian careers with military careers and families. The active duty atmosphere is harder in general when comparing what happens during a drill weekend in the field vs a field exercise in the RA. Also the NG as a whole is more relaxed then RA because we only see each other once a month, so with some units they really let customs and courtesies slip. That added along with height/weight and PT problems in the NG compared to RA gives off the stigma that the NG is undisciplined, lazy and fat. Is it true? With some units absolutely but not all, and I would argue not the majority either. When it comes to doing our jobs effectively in a combat environment the NG has more then proven its ability over the last decade. The NG has always been picked on by RA, that's just the way it is. The only thing you can really do is prove the stereotype wrong at every opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
          I was going to say the same thing. You also have AD Soldiers who have made the switch to the Reserve components and are apt enough to shed their personal opinions.

This topic has been beaten to death over the years and I have been harsh at times about the NG when making comparisons to the Marine Corps and AD but I know I would not be where I am at today if it was not for the Guard. Also, I have stated before that one of my best units in the military was when I was in a line company as a 12B in the Connecticut Army National Guard. Some of the troops that I knew in my platoon, never served a day on active duty but could give any AD Soldier a run for their money in MOS competence, PT and weapons qual.

But yes, since I been on AD for the last nine years, and I have come across some Reserve component units that have given AD leaders a bad taste in the mouth so I could understand how someone can form a negative opinion and label a whole group. But without the Reserve components deploying and serving their country as well; I would be in constant deployment and burnt out. I have nothing but appreciation for our NG and AR brothers and sisters.

But I still hear and get personally gig for providing kudos and having NG paraphernalia. I have an ACU pattern binder that says NG on it. Last year, I had an E7 (19 years straight active) make fun of me because of it. He asked how many years I have and when he heard that I have 22 years of service "for pay purposes"; then his rant begun. He stated that he had a cousin in the NG (that never deployed) and that he would always wear Army geardo and other items. After he found out how drilled worked in regards to retirement, he said that a Guard member in an average year, would only work 38 days in the military. He counted 12X2+14 (he didn't know that Guard does 15 days annual training and also does MUTA5/6s) and mocked that is super less than part-time. That yet the part-time people want retirement and other bennies as full-time Soldiers. I replied on how the Guard drill days worked and even though the bennies are super good; in a lot of cases they are not equal but its relative to their system.

The Continental Army and other Services came forth during our War on Independence. Based on the militias before that (& Minutemen), Guard history goes back further than the US Army. The Army Reserves started in the early 20th Century but I said that we all wear the same uniform and serve different purposes.

So just enjoy your service and do not care what other people think. I am making more money now than I did as an IT tech in New York City so I don't care what people may say or think about me. I just have me and my family to worry about and I try to help Soldiers period.

BTW Loki, I have to be in my ASUs for payday activities this Friday.
          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 26th, 2013, 11:37 AM.

Comment

It's very threatening to find that someone can do your job just as well for one quarter of the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Blackman View Post
              This is more of a rant than a question, but why is it Active Soldiers talk so badly about Guardsmen?
              You have servicemen and women across all branches and components of the armed forces that are high speed and some that are Gomer Pyles. Don't let anyone else of any rank or branch tell you otherwise. Personally, if you want to count professionalism and what not, then you really can't tell the difference between guard and AD. I've lost track the number of times NCO's and junior enlisted asked me if I was active duty. It's not like guard soldiers get trained in the sporting goods section of Wal-mart while AD goes to Mount Olympus and wrestle Zeus or Achilles. We all got our training at the same bases ane were held to the same standard. It's up to the individual to maintain military bearing once they become MOS'qd. If a soldier has the ability to pass BCT and AIT, then that soldier has the ability to serve National Guard or Active.

Comment

This is more of a rant than a question, but why is it Active Soldiers talk so badly about Guardsmen? I wanted Active, but didn't get it. My alternative was National Guard. I took it. But all I've got since from my "Brothers-in-Arms" is being told I'm not real military and me and the Guard are a joke. No matter how hard I work, I'll never work as hard as a Active Soldier. It's so frustrating. I guess if I wanted brotherhood, I should have joined the Marines.

I think the best person to answer/discuss this would be Chief sense he's switched from NG to AD (and only NG to AD guys are welcome)
                Being a prior service active Marine I have to say that Guardsmen work harder than their active counterparts,
                going to the range?
                Active - 5 days. Guard - 2 days

Completing mandatory classes?
                Active - 5 days, Guard - 2 days

Maintaining physical fitness?
                Active - part of your normal work day, Guard - must make personal time outside of work and family

Comment

In the end, I just don't care.

Comment

Sorry, guys. I meant "Other NG to AD guys are welcome" and anyone else is welcome too! And I picked Chief because he's always replying to my posts and know he's been both.

To clarify my situation: I was told by my Uncle and a Split-Op guy at RSP that we aren't real military. And then, I have befriended a lot of Soldiers because this is what I've always wanted to do and I thought it was cool to talk to other Soldiers. Well, I was talking to one and mentioned I was NG and he said I was going to get a lot of flak at Benning for it and said I'll never work as hard. He reinforced his statement by saying he was NG for 2 years and knew I wouldn't.

It's frustrating because this is all I have ever wanted to do and worked my butt off for this and it seems like no matter how hard I work, it won't matter because I'm National Guard. I do want to switch to AD one day, but I'm National Guard right now and that's what I'll work at.

Comment

Sorry, guys. I meant "Other NG to AD guys are welcome" and anyone else is welcome too! And I picked Chief because he's always replying to my posts and know he's been both.

To clarify my situation: I was told by my Uncle and a Split-Op guy at RSP that we aren't real military. And then, I have befriended a lot of Soldiers because this is what I've always wanted to do and I thought it was cool to talk to other Soldiers. Well, I was talking to one and mentioned I was NG and he said I was going to get a lot of flak at Benning for it and said I'll never work as hard. He reinforced his statement by saying he was NG for 2 years and knew I wouldn't.

It's frustrating because this is all I have ever wanted to do and worked my butt off for this and it seems like no matter how hard I work, it won't matter because I'm National Guard. I do want to switch to AD one day, but I'm National Guard right now and that's what I'll work at.
                      There are always going to be people, especially in the military, who think that their component/branch/unit/MOS is better than everyone else's. Ever see a squad of 88M's talk crap because their LMTVs are better than everyone else's? It happens.

Simple advice for you really: Do your best, be proud of what you are about to do and let the s*it slide. Like Mr_Loki said, a majority of those naysayers are just repeating something they have heard or just assume. You'll see both the good and the bad. Once you are downrange though, you'll see what really goes on....

Comment

The only people at Benning who gave us flak about being Guardsmen were the other platoons' drill sergeants. But even then, it was rare and you knew it wasn't serious. Just pulled from their bag of insults that they use against everyone.

As for the Chief....well, every branch just keeps pawning him off onto another. "He's your problem now!"
                        Last edited by SteveLord; February 26th, 2013, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                          The only people at Benning who gave us flak about being Guardsmen were the other platoons' drill sergeants. But even then, it was rare and you knew it wasn't serious. Just pulled from their bag of insults that they use against everyone.

As for the Chief....well, every branch just keeps pawning him off onto another. "He's your problem now!"
                          LOL. The teasing and stuff I'm okay with. My buddy who is leaving for Boot Camp and I mess with each other all the time. It's the serious stuff that gets me.

Comment

True story: at BOLC-B, the first month is called "Common Core," where you learn basic Combat PL stuff. Most of the instructors are E5-E7 Infantry, and we had a SGT stand on a stage in front of 100 LTs and tell us that if we were in the National Guard we especially need to pay attention because the NG are "soft targets" and we get killed at a higher rate because we're untrained and undisciplined. He was not razzing us or talking smack. He was dead serious. Luckily, a former Platoon Sergeant (now 2LT) from GA ARNG spoke up and discussed his 2 tours in Iraq and his 1 tour in Afghanistan, and corrected the SGT on his misinformation.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                              True story: at BOLC-B, the first month is called "Common Core," where you learn basic Combat PL stuff. Most of the instructors are E5-E7 Infantry, and we had a SGT stand on a stage in front of 100 LTs and tell us that if we were in the National Guard we especially need to pay attention because the NG are "soft targets" and we get killed at a higher rate because we're untrained and undisciplined. He was not razzing us or talking smack. He was dead serious. Luckily, a former Platoon Sergeant (now 2LT) from GA ARNG spoke up and discussed his 2 tours in Iraq and his 1 tour in Afghanistan, and corrected the SGT on his misinformation.
                              Wow. That's pretty funny. Sad too...

Comment

Working...
                              X