X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A viable option for HS Senior?

I am 17yrs old and a Senior in high school interested in the National Guard. I am in the process of enrolling in the ROTC basic course at the college i will be attending in the Fall 2013 semester, and I was wondering if enlisting in the National Guard while attending college and being a part of the ROTC program is an option available for me. Will the BCT get in the way of my academics or can I complete BCT in a way that won't conflict? Is this considered the SMP? Should I wait to enlist with the NG/ Join the SMP?

What I want:
    1. Enlistment into the National Guard
    2. Ability to pursue my degree at the college i chose
    3. Ability to pursue commissioning as an officer through the ROTC at my college

Re: A viable option for HS Senior?

The Split Training Option is the best route for what you're looking to accomplish. You'll be able to attend BCT this summer, then enroll in college and enroll in ROTC.

A few things to consider, make sure the college you choose offers ROTC, not all do. Ensure that you'll be back in time from BCT to enroll in college, you're not going to be able to do any of this while in BCT. This may require you shipping the day after High School graduation.

Contact a Recruiter to ensure that you're qualified before getting to far ahead of yourself.

Best of luck!

Comment

Thank you for the Information. Do you know what scholarships through the National Guard would be available for someone doing the Split Training Option?

Comment

Through the National Guard you can receive Federal Tuition Assistance or your State may offer better tuition assistance. You will also be eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill after you complete BCT and AIT. Through ROTC you can apply for a Guard/Reserve or Active Duty scholarship once you're enlisted. You will better your chances of receiving the ROTC scholarship after completing BCT.

Again, before you get to far ahead of yourself, you should find out if you're qualified.

Comment

Your recruiter would abe able to tell you what additional benefits are available in your state. My state, for example, offers Tuition Waiver at all public state colleges.

Comment

I wouldn't bother with going split op. especially if you are attending college. Split-Op is more for high school kids who enlist their junior year. There is asbolutely nothing wrong with taking a semester off to attend both Basic and AIT. Plenty of people do SMP cadets to it. It won't really affect you much either considering that you haven't even gotten into any advanced college course.

Comment

I too have a 17 year old high school senior. He is preparing this week for the ASVAB/medical/and swearing it. He is joining the Indiana National Guard with a 6/2 contract, going to BCT this summer, and starting college in the fall/Army ROTC. We have been assured:

He is not deployable (he will go to AIT the following summer and than contract with his ROTC unit/SMP)
              He will drill until he goes to BCT but once enrolled in military science at his college, attending leadership labs, and his frequent PT counts as his drilll.
              His college than is almost all but paid for. He will than go active Army upon graduation as a 2nd Lt.

I hope our information helps, if you feel that any of what we were told is inaccurate please respond. As a concerned father and a victim of a not so honest navy recruiter back in the day, I would appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotorhead47 View Post
                I too have a 17 year old high school senior. He is preparing this week for the ASVAB/medical/and swearing it. He is joining the Indiana National Guard with a 6/2 contract, going to BCT this summer, and starting college in the fall/Army ROTC. We have been assured:

He is not deployable (he will go to AIT the following summer and than contract with his ROTC unit/SMP)
                He will drill until he goes to BCT but once enrolled in military science at his college, attending leadership labs, and his frequent PT counts as his drilll.
                His college than is almost all but paid for. He will than go active Army upon graduation as a 2nd Lt.

I hope our information helps, if you feel that any of what we were told is inaccurate please respond. As a concerned father and a victim of a not so honest navy recruiter back in the day, I would appreciate it.
                rotor head where is your 17 year old going for college?

Comment

Active Duty is not a guarantee out of ROTC, it is competitive. The cadets compete on an Order of Merit List (OML) for it. As long as your son doesn't sign a Guranteed Reserve Force Duty (GRFD) Agreement he can be an SMP cadet and still compete for an active slot.

Comment

OP, there are a few red flags here that need to be given attention.

1. After your son gets back from AIT, he is deployable until he signs his ROTC contract (which leads to the SMP option). Simply being enrolled in ROTC and college does not negate his status. For example, let's say he gets back from AIT in August and doesn't sign his ROTC contract until Dec. If something comes up between then, he is obligated to go.

2. This is half-way, sort of correct, but not really. The only way to get out of Drills is to be contracted ROTC and be an SMP cadet. SMP is the key. If he is not SMP, he still has to attend Drills, regardless of his ROTC duties. Now, a vast majority of Unit Commanders will allow ROTC events to count in lieu of Drill (if they are contracted SMP), but it is at their discretion. I personally never ran into that problem, but I did know fellow cadets who did.

Now, PT and Leadership LABS are part of his ROTC curriculum during the week. These events will not get him out of his weekend duties. Those are part of his college academics and have nothing to do with Drill weekends. What he will be able to get out of drills for is stuff like FTXs, LTC and LDAC plus any other weekend specific events that come up. Which means, when Drill Weekend comes around, if he does not have a specific ROTC event, he is required to attend Drill.

3. Active is not guaranteed in any contract or Scholarship options (unless it's Green to Gold, but that is another beast of its own). He will have to compete for it with the rest of the cadets in the nation on the OML.

The most confused part that a lot of parents and potential soldiers have is the whole SMP/ROTC thing. They are not the same contract. The ROTC contract is for advanced cadets who are swearing in, in order to get a commission. SMP is specific to USAR and NG soldiers/participants. This contract allows them to be paid as an E-5, wear cadet rank to Drill weekends and shadow officers at their unit with the plan of learning how to be an officer from those individuals. SMP cadets are supposed to be put into a limited leadership role, sit in on meetings, learn from the CO and/or BN Staff and the like.

One can not be an SMP without first contracting with ROTC but a ROTC cadet doesn't have to go SMP.

Comment

Working...
                    X