X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlisting as a mom questions.

I have a 14 month old, whom I am waiting to turn 2 before enlisting as a medic. I was curious if I would be able to have my family near me when I am in AIT?

Also any stories of moms who joined with a young child, I would love to hear! I am fearful she will forget me during basic (silly I know).

Re: Enlisting as a mom questions.

Enlisting can take FOREVER! If you started enlisting now, and you usually can put your training date up to a year after enlisting. Though there could be a possibility of you enlisting and having to go to BCT relatively soon, this would be something you'd work out with your recruiter.

I would not wait to start enlisting.......that itself could take forever if you need any waivers. Go chat with a recruiter and build a good relationship with that person.

Usually during AIT you may get some free weekends where you get to see your family. Then there is always electronics such as video calling. HOOAH

Comment

Chaplain is Right. The enlistment process is nothing like what you see in the movies. It takes a month or two at the very least just to initiate everything and set up a date to visit meps with your recruiter. If you require extensive waivers, it can take even longer.

Plenty of men and women join the military with families and children So you're not alone. In my basic training platoon alone we had two recruits become fathers during the first 10 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackal View Post
        Chaplain is Right. The enlistment process is nothing like what you see in the movies. It takes a month or two at the very least just to initiate everything and set up a date to visit meps with your recruiter. If you require extensive waivers, it can take even longer.

Plenty of men and women join the military with families and children So you're not alone. In my basic training platoon alone we had two recruits become fathers during the first 10 weeks.
        I know all about that lol. I was waiting for my MEPS to come around when I found out I was pregnant (huge shocker. Never wanted kids!). I originally was enlisting active duty as a 68WM6. im hoping to be able to do the same but in the NG (as now I am a mom and wife) and possibly go AD when she is older. I'm meeting with a NG recruiter soon, was just hoping to get some answers before then! So much I going through my mind. It was totally different when it was just me, but now that I have a family to think about it changed everything!

I should edit my first post. Could I have my family (SO and child) with me during AIT for 68WM6. Also if you could answer, is 68WM6 available in the NG? I keep reading different things on here!

Comment

It's really difficult right now to go from National Guard to Active Duty as a prior service recruit. It would be far easier to go active duty first.....don't get stuck in the National Guard if you really want to be Active Duty.

Comment

Working...
          X