X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honest Advice

I've decided to join the army guard because i can't afford college, i can't find a job and i cannot live at my parents throughout my 20's"im 22 now" being an unemployed musician. i attempted to join when i was 18 but i was very immature and had a lot to learn about life before attempting such a serious venture. i have since grown up and am not going to back out again. joining has given me this awful nervous feeling like leaning over the edge of a cliff. i know that there's things that aren't so great about the military(cleaning floors, getting screamed at by superiors ect.) but i know i will benefit and be a stronger more independent person if i work hard and stay smart. i just want to be confident that this is a good decision for someone who has no job no independence no money and no real future on the horizon other than homelessness. so please, if you have any stories, positive reinforcement, words of wisdom that might boost my confidence and cool my nerves it would be greatly appreciated.

please no negative comments
    "leave your ego at the door"

also thanks in advance for anyone who can relate and offer advice.

Re: Honest Advice

If you are looking for something that would support you full time, I would honestly suggest you look into Active Duty. Otherwise, I would start with the National Guard website to learn about the basics.

Comment

i know that with guard credentials i could find work and support myself, that's not the problem i'm just a bit nervous about such a serious step in life, i just want help getting over my nerves.

Comment

Originally posted by catchphrasehere View Post
        i just want help getting over my nerves.
        Remember when you're at Basic Training to keep reminding yourself to not feel sorry for yourself. I had to break out of a self-pity rut a few times. Just keep telling yourself that it's only 9 weeks, and you're not the first person to go through it. You are the newest in a long, long line of soldiers going through the same feelings.

Being in the NG is a good move, it has its frustrating times, but anything does.

Comment

thank lance13a, thats good advice i wont forget it.

Comment

I think joining the military requires two things. Firstly, is total commitment. You must be absolutely committed to your course of action. If this is what you are going to do, then you must move and live with this one purpose. Second, I think joining the military requires a humble disposition. As an enlisted soldier you would be told what to do, 24 hrs a day. As of now you are a civilian, and getting screamed at is unappealing. We call it soldierization, later on you will grow accustom to how the military operates; perhaps down the road you will be the one doing the yelling.

Think about enlisting in the active duty Navy. If you get put on a ship you will be able to see the world. You will go to many different countries and see all types of stuff. If you join the Army you could see a different country or two, but it will be a drastic contrast to how the Navy operates. I don't take you as the type that would enjoy low crawling up on the enemy and stabbing him through the chest with the bayonet. You should give serious reflection about the different services (except the Marines, join the Army not the Marines) Which ever you join in about four years you'd be making about 40K/year. If you are looking to find yourself, my opinion is that active duty Navy is the way to go. By the time you would have graduated college, you will have made and probably wasted over $80,000. The average college graduate is making $27,000 fresh out of college, you'd be far ahead of your peers, if you have the can do and humble attitude.

Three hots and a cot, Sam will take care of you.
            Last edited by Chaplain4me; February 20th, 2013, 06:50 PM.

Comment

I've decided to join the army guard because i can't afford college, i can't find a job and i cannot live at my parents throughout my 20's"im 22 now" being an unemployed musician. i attempted to join when i was 18 but i was very immature and had a lot to learn about life before attempting such a serious venture. i have since grown up and am not going to back out again. joining has given me this awful nervous feeling like leaning over the edge of a cliff. i know that there's things that aren't so great about the military(cleaning floors, getting screamed at by superiors ect.) but i know i will benefit and be a stronger more independent person if i work hard and stay smart. i just want to be confident that this is a good decision for someone who has no job no independence no money and no real future on the horizon other than homelessness. so please, if you have any stories, positive reinforcement, words of wisdom that might boost my confidence and cool my nerves it would be greatly appreciated.

please no negative comments
              "leave your ego at the door"

also thanks in advance for anyone who can relate and offer advice.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post

seemed like he wanted to be screamed at

Comment

seemed like he wanted to be screamed at
                  That's what a lot of guys that have never experienced "shark attack" think. That's the beautiful thing about shark attack--Doesn't matter whether you do the right thing or not--at some point you're going to get yelled at for ANY reason. Drill Sergeants will be there to watch your every move. Either you'll make a simple mistake or a Drill Sergeant will just pick you out of the bunch to mess with. If you're 'that guy' in the YouTube video that mentally shuts down upon confrontation with a Drill Sergeant it just makes the confrontation that much harder to endure. And if you're 'that guy' a Drill Sergeant will have a tendency to focus on you that much more. It's all a part of the game to shake a guy out of brain farting on the spot, so he doesn't choke in combat and either get himself or his battle buddies killed.

I can sense that one of the main reasons why you would be a good target for a Drill Sergeant is because of this mentality:

I've decided to join the army guard because i can't afford college, i can't find a job and i cannot live at my parents throughout my 20's"im 22 now" being an unemployed musician. i attempted to join when i was 18 but i was very immature and had a lot to learn about life before attempting such a serious venture.
                  You're only in this not because you want to serve your country but because you have nowhere else to go and nothing else to do. A mindset like the aforementioned has a way of surfacing and shooting you in the foot when you're taken completely out of your element and forced to sink or swim. And if you think facing an Army Drill Sergeant is tough, then you need to see how charming a Marine Drill Instructor can be:

Chaplain4me gave you the best advice--Go Navy. You'll still get yelled at a little but the training is not as rigorous as the Army or the Marines.

Comment

I'd also suggest going the active duty route. I spent several years active, not gonna lie the first year or so I hated it, but it gets better as you move up. If I had a degree I never would've left (knew I wanted to go the warrant route, and with the drawdown, no college degree, and a chance that I wouldn't be able to complete one I was afraid of getting passed over going for W3 and kicked out after 15+ years in).

The job security as active enlisted now is not as bad as it sounds. Most of the reductions are going to be through attrition and less recruiting, as opposed to just kicking people out. The credentials from just being a new private in the guard may not help you get a civilian job as much as you'd think. Many employers are wary of hiring guard/reservist solely based on the fact that they may come down on orders to deploy, then they're forced to find a temp replacement for you. Some also have an unrealistic idea that everyone in the military has PTSD, and it's going to snap and go on a rampage.

Not trying to dissuade you from joining the guard, but based on your post I would seriously consider active if I were you.

Comment

Originally posted by ack202 View Post
                      I'd also suggest going the active duty route. I spent several years active, not gonna lie the first year or so I hated it, but it gets better as you move up. If I had a degree I never would've left (knew I wanted to go the warrant route, and with the drawdown, no college degree, and a chance that I wouldn't be able to complete one I was afraid of getting passed over going for W3 and kicked out after 15+ years in).

The job security as active enlisted now is not as bad as it sounds. Most of the reductions are going to be through attrition and less recruiting, as opposed to just kicking people out. The credentials from just being a new private in the guard may not help you get a civilian job as much as you'd think. Many employers are wary of hiring guard/reservist solely based on the fact that they may come down on orders to deploy, then they're forced to find a temp replacement for you. Some also have an unrealistic idea that everyone in the military has PTSD, and it's going to snap and go on a rampage.

Not trying to dissuade you from joining the guard, but based on your post I would seriously consider active if I were you.
                      I do think you would have made it to CW3. Granted, flight Warrants takes longer to CW3 than technical Warrants but all the senior Warrants I worked with never had a degree but I have met a couple of CW2's that were passed over on their second look (but they messed up big time). When did you leave AD? Well I am not going to throw 15 years of active time away, so I might as well finish it up. Meaning, I will be able to retire with 20 active as a CW3.
                      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 22nd, 2013, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                        I do think you would have made it to CW3. Granted, flight Warrants takes longer to CW3 than technical Warrants but all the senior Warrants I worked with never had a degree but I have met a couple of CW2's that were passed over on their second look (but they messed up big time). When did you leave AD? Well I am not going to throw 15 years of active time away, so I might as well finish it up. Meaning, I will be able to retire with 20 active as a CW3.
                        I left AD a little under 2 years ago. I know passover rates for AV WO's going for 3 and 4 are huge right now. I've talked to alot of the guys coming down here for WOAC, WOSC, WOSSC and it seems it's all doom and gloom coming from them. I know the WOCC has said for a long time that WO's should plan on having at least an associate's degree prior to W3, and a bachelor's prior to W4. That on top of the fact that in FY 11 71% of newly appointed WO's already had bachelors degrees.

Could I have made it to W3? Possibly. Switching to the guard and going to school full time to get a degree seemed like a safe option though. There will be opportunities for full time employment later on in my career. Assessing into the 160th is still a guaranteed way to get back on active duty (assuming you pass, and the selection rates are fairly high for WO's), another conflict, AGR, or a tech position.

Comment

Originally posted by ack202 View Post
                          I left AD a little under 2 years ago. I know passover rates for AV WO's going for 3 and 4 are huge right now. I've talked to alot of the guys coming down here for WOAC, WOSC, WOSSC and it seems it's all doom and gloom coming from them. I know the WOCC has said for a long time that WO's should plan on having at least an associate's degree prior to W3, and a bachelor's prior to W4. That on top of the fact that in FY 11 71% of newly appointed WO's already had bachelors degrees.

Could I have made it to W3? Possibly. Switching to the guard and going to school full time to get a degree seemed like a safe option though. There will be opportunities for full time employment later on in my career. Assessing into the 160th is still a guaranteed way to get back on active duty (assuming you pass, and the selection rates are fairly high for WO's), another conflict, AGR, or a tech position.
                          Nevertheless, very impressive, that you went from AD to NG and got a WO slot as an aviator. You are again active duty right now for 18 months, so you are earning more retirement points and getting the Post 9/11 GI Bill to go to school. You got win/win written all over you. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X