Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I switch to active duty after my 3 years is up with the national guard?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I switch to active duty after my 3 years is up with the national guard?

I'm enlisted in the national guard for 3 years. Do I have to spend the last 5 in the IRR or can I switch over to active after my 3 years of service is up? I don't exactly know how it works. I joined the national guard with the intent of going active. They where the only branch that would take me with my GED. If I can't switch to active after 3 years, what are my options?

Re: Can I switch to active duty after my 3 years is up with the national guard?

Possible but no guarantee. I suggest at the 2.5 year mark, you get a DD368 signed by the BN Commander that will afford you to work with an AD recruiter.

Comment

From my understanding it's currently fairly difficult for prior service to switch over to the active army. If you haven't gotten 15 semester hours from an accredited college you should get that out of the way beforehand. You should be able to get on ARTTS (or whatever it's called) through AKO and roll military ed over into college credits for a fee. That alone may be enough to get you the 15 hours you need.

Comment

Once you have completed your three year contract, the Guard will transfer you to the IRR. From there, you can apply for service in the active component, although they are under no obligation to take you. Still, having a military status in the IRR will ease the transition.

Comment

Working...
        X