X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amry vs Marine Terminology

Being born and raised in Kaneohe and doing 3 years of MCJROTC, I'm still stuck on naval terminology. I stuck out more than I wanted to a RSP when "Drill Instructor" and "Aye aye sir" slipped out. Needless to say, I need a crash course in Army vs Marine terminology. I'll post a list below of what I've been accustomed too. If there is an equivalent I'd love to know it, if not then let me know. Thanks in advance.

deck
    head call
    bulk head
    hatch
    port holes
    blouse
    swab
    over head
    galley
    aye aye

Also, I'm used to calling Marines gunny, 1st stg, staff stg, and officers lieutenant, colonel, captain etc. But in the Army is everyone just sergant and sir? And at the end of our drill days they would just tell us fall out instead of dismissing us. Is that how the Army dissmisses soldiers or are is our cadre waiting till be learn the proper order?

Re: Amry vs Marine Terminology

Originally posted by CallSign View Post
    Being born and raised in Kaneohe and doing 3 years of MCJROTC, I'm still stuck on naval terminology. I stuck out more than I wanted to a RSP when "Drill Instructor" and "Aye aye sir" slipped out. Needless to say, I need a crash course in Army vs Marine terminology. I'll post a list below of what I've been accustomed too. If there is an equivalent I'd love to know it, if not then let me know. Thanks in advance.

deck
    head call
    bulk head
    hatch
    port holes
    blouse
    swab
    over head
    galley
    aye aye

Also, I'm used to calling Marines gunny, 1st stg, staff stg, and officers lieutenant, colonel, captain etc. But in the Army is everyone just sergant and sir? And at the end of our drill days they would just tell us fall out instead of dismissing us. Is that how the Army dissmisses soldiers or are is our cadre waiting till be learn the proper order?
    First, I have no idea what any of the words you mentioned mean. Except for a "head," which is a "latrine."

Address NCOs as follows:

CPL: "Corporal"
    SGT - MSG: "Sergeant"
    1SG: "First Sergeant" (or "top," if they'll let you)
    SGM/CSM: "Sergeant Major"

Officers may all be addressed as "sir" or "ma'am." They may also be addressed by their ranks, but you omit prefixes. For example, address a LTC as "Colonel" and a 1LT as "Lieutenant."

There is a distinction between "fall out" and "dismissed." Formations are told to "fall out" only when that formation is concluded. The command "dismissed" indicates that the duty day is over and that soldiers are released.

Comment

deck - flooor
      head call - latrine
      bulk head - wall
      hatch - door
      port holes - windows
      blouse - blouse
      swab - mop
      over head - ceiling
      galley - DFAC
      aye aye - roger/hua

In the Army, you can call E-5 through E-8 (Master Sergeant) as Sergeant.

E-8 First Sergeant is called First Sergeant
      E-9 Sergeant Major/Command Sergeant Major is addressed as Sergeant Major.

Dismissed is proper at the end of drill weekend but fall-out is acceptable.

Comment

deck - flooor
        head call - latrine
        bulk head - wall
        hatch - door
        port holes - windows
        blouse - blouse
        swab - mop
        over head - ceiling
        galley - DFAC
        aye aye - roger/hua

In the Army, you can call E-5 through E-8 (Master Sergeant) as Sergeant.

E-8 First Sergeant is called First Sergeant
        E-9 Sergeant Major/Command Sergeant Major is addressed as Sergeant Major.

Dismissed is proper at the end of drill weekend but fall-out is acceptable.

Comment

deck floor
          head call go to the latrine/bathroom
          bulk head wall
          hatch door
          port holes windows
          blouse blouse/top
          swab mop
          over head ceiling
          galley kitchen
          aye aye yes

Come on, man, you are thinking too much into it. You learned the above Marine terminology LONG after you knew them to be floors, windows, doors and such.

With ranks, yes, Sergeants, Staff Sergeants and Sergeants First Class can be called "Sergeant". Master Sergeants are often also called Sergeant, but even as a Sergeant First Class, I give them the respect to call them by their rank. You call the 1SG "First Sergeant". The officers you can call "sir". What's the big deal?

With regards to Fall Out vs. Dismissed, with the wording of your last sentence, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Look into the AR for Drill and Ceremony and learn what determines when it's proper to say either one. Most all the answers to your questions are out there for you to learn, just like you learned in MCJROTC...

Comment

Yes, I usually call Master Sergeant - Master Sergeant; even Staff at times because I was a former Marine and old habits are hard to break. Plus that is the exact rank of the Soldier (again Marine mentality), so I do not see a problem with it. I did stop saying ooh-rah instead of hooah and I no longer embarass myself by saying "attention on deck" when the Commander walked in.

Comment

So not "attention on deck"? Whats the right thing to say?

Comment

So not "attention on deck"? Whats the right thing to say?
                Just attention.

Comment

If I were you, I'd call an E-8 by his rank. That's just being combat arms my whole career. No E6 and above will mind you calling them by their rank, so if you're already used to it then keep doing it. You'll learn in the army there are two types of command, preparatory and execution. So when calling attention, you would say group, platoon or whatever before you call attention. Example. Group (Pause) Attention! In the Army Attention is pronounced Attention, not attenhut.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                    Just attention.
                    So when an officer walks into a room/general area you just yell attention?

Comment

either the room or the group. If you're on detail and an officer is in your area you would call "detail - attention" if youre a bunch of dudes chilling in a room, you would call "room attention"

You'll find it a bit less formal than that though. Just get into the mix and play it by ear. You'll figure it out or you'll find yourself running around looking for a boat during RSP. Basic will teach it all to you.

Also... I love Kaneohe. I was just there a few weeks ago and climbed some of the ridges as well as the haiku stairs. Beautiful place.

Comment

deck
                        head call
                        bulk head
                        hatch
                        port holes
                        blouse
                        swab
                        over head
                        galley
                        aye aye

The army uses regular words, I think the only difference being that we call bathrooms "latrines."

I just want to note that this is way harder the other way around, when you get to FABOLC and your USMC instructor is yelling at you that "you need to clear the P-way when a higher ranking officer comes through the hatch..."

Comment

Working...
                        X