Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOS Reclass vs Voluntary Mobilization

Good Day everyone:

I am about to lose my civilian contract position because it's being rewritten for a different job function. I will be unemployed in 2 weeks.

Plan A: I am a 68W looking to reclass to 68K (lab tech). 68K school will take 1 year. The problem is that my unit is concerned that I might IST to another state if I even complete 68K school. I have no reasons to be able to convince them that I would remain in the unit if I did complete 68K school and my credibility is in question here. I have a bad hunch that they are reluctant to send me to 68K MOSQ school. My strong instincts suggest to me that my unit may not have money to send me anyways. I fear that I will be burning through unemployment just waiting for my unit to start writing me the 68K orders, and that my family would starve in the meantime.
    I understand the situation very well that I should remain with a unit if they are willing to pay me to re-class into an MOS in their unit. The problem is that I have nothing to substantiate or prove to them that I might even stay with the unit.

Plan B: I have been accepted to mobilize with Guam ARNG in a written email this morning. I told them I needed 24-48 hours to confirm.

Given the most difficult times in our government today with looming sequestration, and the ARNG units with lack of funding. Do you gentlemen believe that ARNG units are so strapped on cash, that they are unable to reclass their Soldiers?

Is my Plan B to mobilize to Afghanistan appear to be the most viable option at this time? I have 24-48 hours.
    Your input would be strongly appreciated. Thank You All.

ARNG 68W
    Last edited by phayamoa; February 11th, 2013, 02:18 PM. Reason: grammar

Re: MOS Reclass vs Voluntary Mobilization

Originally posted by phayamoa View Post
    Good Day everyone:

I am about to lose my civilian contract position because it's being rewritten for a different job function. I will be unemployed in 2 weeks.

Plan A: I am a 68W looking to reclass to 68K (lab tech). 68K school will take 1 year. The problem is that my unit is concerned that I might IST to another state if I even complete 68K school. I have no reasons to be able to convince them that I would remain in the unit if I did complete 68K school and my credibility is in question here. I have a bad hunch that they are reluctant to even send me to the 68K school. My strong insticts suggest to me that my unit might not have money to send me anyways. I fear that I will be burning through unemployment just waiting for my unit to even start writing me 68K orders, and that my family would starve in the meantime.
    I understand the situation very well that I should remain with a unit if they are willing to pay me to re-class into an MOS in their unit. The problem is that I have nothing to substantiate or prove to them that I might even stay with the unit.

Plan B: I have been accepted to mobilize with Guam ARNG in a written email this morning. I told them I needed 24-48 hours to confirm.

Given the most difficult times in our government today with looming sequestration, and the ARNG units with lack of funding. Do you gentlemen believe that ARNG units are so strapped on cash, that they are unable to reclass their Soldiers?

Is my Plan B to mobilize to Afghanistan appear to be the most viable option at this time? I have 24-48 hours.
    Your input would be strongly appreciated. Thank You All.

ARNG 68W
    Yes.

Comment

Even without budget cuts, orders like those are hard to get as there is more to it then just funding. Take the mob.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
        Even without budget cuts, orders like those are hard to get as there is more to it then just funding. Take the mob.
        I concur. Mobilize with Guam. They'll be replacing my old unit, which is slated to come home soon.

Comment

To sustain income, mobilization seems like the best bet. Out of curiousity, what is your job position and current location? Have you looked for work in your area?

Comment

I am currently an 88M with the Army Reserve out in Ft. Meade, MD. I want to change my MOS asap and I also want to deploy asap. I was just wondering how I can go from the reserve to the NG component in either VA or MD and find either a MP unit deploying soon or a Infantry unit.

Comment

Originally posted by cespedes250 View Post
              I am currently an 88M with the Army Reserve out in Ft. Meade, MD. I want to change my MOS asap and I also want to deploy asap. I was just wondering how I can go from the reserve to the NG component in either VA or MD and find either a MP unit deploying soon or a Infantry unit.
              You'll want to start with your Readiness NCO and Chain of Command. They will need to approve your release. Then find a National Guard unit that will take you and is willing to allow you to re-class your MOS.

Comment

I'm currently a 12r and am thinking about reclassing to 15t. I am 2 years and 8 months out from my ETS. Would I be required to extend my contract in order to reclass? I'm not familiar with regulations regarding reclassing. Any help would be appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                X