Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What MOSs do not have to work with the Afghanis.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What MOSs do not have to work with the Afghanis.

Hi everyone I am in the process of enlisting. I had a couple of concerns that I obviously could not voice to my recruiter. I was wondering if anyone, from their experiences in Afghanistan, could advise me on what MOSs do not have to interact daily with the Afghanis as "friends", basically having to train them. I was leaning towards 31B but I've heard that many 31Bs are assigned to train Afghan police. I do not trust Afghans and see them as ungrateful cowards. I'm looking for an MOS that when deployed to Afghanistan, doesn't have to do anything with Afghans except shoot insurgents. Thank you for your time soldiers.

Re: What MOSs do not have to work with the Afghanis.

As someone who has deployed to Afghanistan twice, I have worked with many Afghans who are decent human beings. If you are referring to the green on blue attacks; I assure you that has happened in every war our country has been involved in.

In my last deployment, many Soldiers were moved to different positions and worked with the locals so you can choose an MOS that will have you far-removed from training Afghans and then when you deploy, you could engage them on a daily basis.

I appreciate your honest post but it was unwarranted; especially if you never experienced serving in Afghanistan first-hand.

Comment

Originally posted by ZJohnson View Post
      . I do not trust Afghans and see them as ungrateful cowards.
      Please explain to us how you came to this conclusion, and don't forget to include ALL of your experiences with the Afghans.

Comment

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression, I didn't mean to lump them all into one group. I just have very strong feelings on the matter as my brother served in Afghanistan with 2/24 and he is the one who advised me to never have to rely on ANA or Afghan police. His fireteam corporal, whom I know pretty well, was pinned down when the ANA squad attached to their fireteam ran away (the corporal ended up having to be medevac'ed)...although I know this is just one case and doesn't reflect on all of them its firsthand stories like these that leave me with a bit of a prejudice. All I'm saying is that I don't think I could perform well in a situation that involved cooperation with the Afghanis and I was just looking for some input on MOS choices, not to start some controversy or offend anyone (which I apologize if I did).

Comment

To answer your question in a dispassionately accurate manner, there is no MOS that will preclude a Soldier from working with Afghanis. While the preponderance of our engagement with that nation consists of combat arms teams, we also work with them on all aspects of the military, to include sustainment (i.e., logistics, admin, medical, etc.).

Soldiers must be able and willing to take on dangerous responsibilities. It's not for everyone.

Comment

The war is in, and will continue to be, in transition. Jobs that typically don't work first hand with fn will and do now. We went through 4 interpreters in 10 months. I don't blame your hesitance from my experience. But as has been said already you'll have to work with them just about in any position. Different people have different experiences. For instance, a soldier looking for ieds for 10 months will have a different perspective from someone who never left the FOB. A soldier seeing locals driving around certain areas of road because they know what lies beneath the skipped path. An IED. 10 months of being blown up constantly. 0 times seeing a local blown up. Trusting a few of them to wear a uniform. Then seeing them pack themselves full of hidden explosives and walking into a market on our fob. You're hesitancies are NOT misplaced. At least, not from my experience. I'd suggest you you look into intel. The security clearances required for the job should work as a filter from undesirable situations.

Comment

My former SGL (was a SSG at the time) did patrols in Afghanistan and never received contact once nor experienced an IED attack. He was there in 2004, when it was a different time. On my last tour in Afghanistan, I knew a female that was on another FOB by the Pakistan border. She was always on the FOB working in an FSC and was in a wooden B-hut sleeping when a rocket attack hit by her hooch at 0530. Very close to her, two of her fellow Soldiers were killed sleeping on their beds. That person that never left the FOB will have a different perspective from the SSG. She received a CAB and the SSG did not. The FOBBIT/off the FOB comparison is not always valid. I use to be critical of the same when I was an MP patrolling in Iraq but experienced a lot of bad too while on the FOB. Also, the green on blue attacks is a testament to that as well. Nowhere is safe. Also, I knew many in Intel that had to interview Afghanis (insurgents) that were detainees. So that is probably up there in possibly engaging the bad guys.
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 9th, 2013, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Well yes i understand. I only meant in general terms. Generally the situation where someone with a combat mission sees less action than someone bound to a fob...very unlikely. There's always the chance to be hurt by mortars on a fob, and that is shared by everyone. To the topic, you won't be able to completely be absent of afghanis. I suggested combat engineer. But they're so many variables affecting the situation.

Comment

I'm looking for an MOS that when deployed to Afghanistan, doesn't have to do anything with Afghans except shoot insurgents.
                  Keep playing Call of Duty and stay away from recruiters.

Comment

Hi everyone I am in the process of enlisting. I had a couple of concerns that I obviously could not voice to my recruiter. I was wondering if anyone, from their experiences in Afghanistan, could advise me on what MOSs do not have to interact daily with the Afghanis as "friends", basically having to train them. I was leaning towards 31B but I've heard that many 31Bs are assigned to train Afghan police. I do not trust Afghans and see them as ungrateful cowards. I'm looking for an MOS that when deployed to Afghanistan, doesn't have to do anything with Afghans except shoot insurgents. Thank you for your time soldiers.
                    It's not so much what MOS would allow you to stay away from Afghanis as much as possible. It's a matter of what the mission is. For example, if you want to stay away from Afghanis as much as possible, you need to look into volunteering for those embedded training team missions.

Comment

If you're not willing to do what it takes to serve your country, then don't join.

Comment

Working...
                      X