X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 coming up on 17...

Hello all! My name is Courtney Collins (obviously, haha.) and I am a 16 year old Junior high school student that is taking serious, serious thought about joining the National Guard when I become of age in March.

I was wondering what everyone thinks of it? I really want to do this but there is some things that frighten me, honestly. I do want to do this and I understand the whole physically fit thing (which i'm not, atleast not yet.) and the hardcore yelling in your face making you feel like your not good enough... Well, I want to show those that I am good enough.

What are y'alls opinions on the National Guard? How do you like it? How was your first experience there? How did you cope... & also, are the sgts/officers/capts, etc as bad as people make them sound?
    Last edited by Courtney Collins; February 8th, 2013, 05:24 PM.

Re: 16 coming up on 17...

Originally posted by Courtney Collins View Post
    are the sgts/officers/capts, etc as bad as people make them sound?
    Actually, we're even worse than that.

In all seriousness, you should try to ask a more targeted/specific question. My experience is going to very different from the next soldier's experience. Try to identify which career field you're interested in and what you'll be doing for civilian employment/education (as well as which state you'll be enlisting into) and there's a good chance someone here has gone down a similar path.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney Collins View Post
      I understand the whole physically fit thing (which i'm not, atleast not yet.) and the hardcore yelling in your face making you feel like your not good enough... Well, I want to show those that I am good enough.
      We will NEVER tell you that you're not good enough. Quite the opposite actually. We will motivate you to do better every day. You will find yourself doing things that you ,your family & so called friends may have been telling you that you could never do. YOU CAN DO ANYTHING ! The training in the National Guard will get you to think positively about everything. Before you know it, you will be one of us. You will be a 17 year old "hero in training" readyu to help your home town or state in any emergancy. That is what you can do. That is what you should do. The future is yours. Choose wisely citizen. The National Guard is waiting.

Comment

It's a good experience! I joined during High School and never regret it. Basic training and AIT were awesome experiences that helped me grow up and now I'm using my educational benefits to go to college. Basic is tough but definitely not impossible. Just don't give up and you'll make it and come out a better person for it.

Comment

Working...
        X