X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining The National Guard

Hello everyone, my name is Lindy, I'm new to this site. I'm interested in joining the National Guard but I'm kinda in a pickle. I'm on my way to getting my GED. I live in Mississippi but plan on moving to the Lone Star State, preferably in DFW are, or Houston, TX. I will be going to trade school to become a welder to have a steady job and also to save a little cash then go to college. My question here is do I need to get 15 college credits to join and how hard is it to transfer states in the Guard?

Re: Joining The National Guard

Currently, anyone with a GED is qualified to enlist but, we would have a better chance to enlist you with having earned 15 college credits because anyone with LESS THAN an ASVAB score of 50% or a HS Diploma or a GED w/15 college credits has to take three tests to enlist (ASVAB, AIMS TAPAS). If you score over a 50% on your ASVAB and possess either a HS Diploma or GED w/15 college credits, you will only be given the ASVAB test.

This is how it's setup in Rhode Island. I can't speak for MS or TX

Comment

Originally posted by SSG_CONLEY View Post
      Currently, anyone with a GED is qualified to enlist but, we would have a better chance to enlist you with having earned 15 college credits because anyone with LESS THAN an ASVAB score of 50% or a HS Diploma or a GED w/15 college credits has to take three tests to enlist (ASVAB, AIMS TAPAS). If you score over a 50% on your ASVAB and possess either a HS Diploma or GED w/15 college credits, you will only be given the ASVAB test.

This is how it's setup in Rhode Island. I can't speak for MS or TX
      The magical question is whether NGB sets the enlistment criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        The magical question is whether NGB sets the enlistment criteria.
        I know here in NC I enlisted in 2010, with an Associates, and a 99 on the ASVAB, and I still had to take the TAPAS

Comment

I Also Hold a GED i Have No college Credits i Scored a AFQT of 39 ( bear in mind i have been out of school for over 14 years ) I also took and got favorable Scores on the TAPAS and AIMS
          What Matters too to help weather or not you can get in are your line scores for the ASVAB For instance Here are my Line Scores
          GT-100 CL-093 CO-102 EL-105 FA-101 GM-106 MM-116 OF-107 SC-101 ST-101
          My Recruiter Tells me i have a Good Chance of Enlistment , ill be going to MEPS in March to compleate my physical , pick my MOS and Swear in IM joining the West Virginia National Guard
          I hope this helps

Comment

Working...
          X