Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Security Clearence

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Security Clearence

    I enlisted a few weeks ago and i ship out on the 25th. My job is 13 Delta and i need a security clearence. I have bad credit because i owe money on a few credit cards about $3500 worth. I let my recruiter know about it and he said it should be a problem and not to mention it at my clearence interview at meps. Im a little nervous because Ive been serching online and it sounds like I will get denied for a security clearence. What is the possibility of not getting the clearence I need and what will happen if I do get denied?

  • #2
    Re: Security Clearence

    Originally posted by nram2086 View Post
    I enlisted a few weeks ago and i ship out on the 25th. My job is 13 Delta and i need a security clearence. I have bad credit because i owe money on a few credit cards about $3500 worth. I let my recruiter know about it and he said it should be a problem and not to mention it at my clearence interview at meps. Im a little nervous because Ive been serching online and it sounds like I will get denied for a security clearence. What is the possibility of not getting the clearence I need and what will happen if I do get denied?
    Owing debt may not be as much of a problem as being delinquent on debt. At the time I owed about $8000 in credit card debt (just got married) and over $150,000 in student loan debt. They approved me anyway. But, again, I wasn't deliquent. I was current on all my credit card debt and my student loan debt was in forebearance, so there was no issue. I had more red tape to deal with when I bought my first home than I did when I got my security clearance.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Security Clearence

      You'll be a 13B. At least that's what they did with a guy in my platoon when I was in 13D school.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Security Clearence

        Originally posted by nram2086 View Post
        I enlisted a few weeks ago and i ship out on the 25th. My job is 13 Delta and i need a security clearence. I have bad credit because i owe money on a few credit cards about $3500 worth. I let my recruiter know about it and he said it should be a problem and not to mention it at my clearence interview at meps. Im a little nervous because Ive been serching online and it sounds like I will get denied for a security clearence. What is the possibility of not getting the clearence I need and what will happen if I do get denied?
        I am going through this right now - bad credit and needing a clearance. NOT listing your bad debt on your SF-86 will look worse then listing it. It will appear that you are trying to hide it. I suggest you set up payment arrangements with your creditors so on the SF-86 when you list the bad debt you can put in there that you have payments arrangements set up with them.
        They WILL pull your credit so I do not advise you not listing your debts.
        Just my 2 cents

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Security Clearence

          Thanks for replying. I'm going to arrange a payment plan and start paying them off before I ship. I pulled my credit report and it shows only one credit card in collection. The other two just say derogatory. I spoke to my recruiter today and he said as long they are not in collection it should be ok. But im still going to work something out so I dont have any problems later on.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Security Clearence

            Originally posted by nram2086 View Post
            Thanks for replying. I'm going to arrange a payment plan and start paying them off before I ship. I pulled my credit report and it shows only one credit card in collection. The other two just say derogatory. I spoke to my recruiter today and he said as long they are not in collection it should be ok. But im still going to work something out so I dont have any problems later on.
            The SF-86 - which you have to fill out for your security clearance - askes if you hae debt that is 30, 60, 90 days past due, in collections, or charged off.
            Last edited by robinpugs06; February 5th, 2013, 02:37 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Security Clearence

              Ok, so it sounds like your recruiter is setting you up to fail. You do not want to hide anything on the SF86. List it all, honestly. If you can work our arrangements will all your debts, do it. Get names of who you talked to, dates you talked to them, contact numbers for them, everything.

              The economy sucks right now and a lot of people are having issues with credit/bills/etc. Make efforts, that are verifiable by the investigator, to take care of your stuff. They tend to be more understanding than people think. However, if you lie or omit, kiss your chances of a clearence goodbye.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Security Clearence

                Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                The SF-86 - which you have to fill out for your security clearance - askes if you hae debt that is 30, 60, 90 days past due, in collections, or charged off.
                When will I fill out the SF-86?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Security Clearence

                  Originally posted by nram2086 View Post
                  When will I fill out the SF-86?
                  Did you do Path to Honor?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Security Clearence

                    Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                    Did you do Path to Honor?
                    yes

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Security Clearence

                      That is pretty much the SF-86

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Security Clearence

                        Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                        That is pretty much the SF-86
                        Damn, my recruiter told me not to list it. I ship out on the 25th of this month. I made arrangements to get most of the debt paid by the time I leave for basic, and the rest should be paid off well before I get to AIT. Do you think I will get denied if its all paid off by then?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Security Clearence

                          Originally posted by nram2086 View Post
                          Damn, my recruiter told me not to list it. I ship out on the 25th of this month. I made arrangements to get most of the debt paid by the time I leave for basic, and the rest should be paid off well before I get to AIT. Do you think I will get denied if its all paid off by then?
                          The issue will be is it asks something like in the last 7 years have you been so many days past due, anything go to collections, any charge offs? Most likely even if you pay them off before you ship, they will still be on your credit report. If you are paying anything off be sure to ask them to take it off you credit reports (they may or may not agree) and document all payments made and ask them to send you receipts. The issue is going to be when they pull your credit report for your clearance they are going to want to know why they weren't listed on your SF-86. I would talk to your recruiter and tell him you want them added.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Security Clearence

                            Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                            The issue will be is it asks something like in the last 7 years have you been so many days past due, anything go to collections, any charge offs? Most likely even if you pay them off before you ship, they will still be on your credit report. If you are paying anything off be sure to ask them to take it off you credit reports (they may or may not agree) and document all payments made and ask them to send you receipts. The issue is going to be when they pull your credit report for your clearance they are going to want to know why they weren't listed on your SF-86. I would talk to your recruiter and tell him you want them added.
                            99 out of 100 tines asking a company to remove a derogatory credit entry will get you no where. Before you attempt to pay you should try and have them sign a pay for deletion letter, but if they dont you will have to send a dispute to the credit bureau in hopes of removal.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Security Clearence

                              Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
                              99 out of 100 tines asking a company to remove a derogatory credit entry will get you no where. Before you attempt to pay you should try and have them sign a pay for deletion letter, but if they dont you will have to send a dispute to the credit bureau in hopes of removal.
                              So am I most likely going to get denied a clearance? I've been going off what my recruiter tells me and he says its not a problem and if it was I would have been contacted already. Whats the best course of action?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X