Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How agood year in the guard breaks down to hours

Good evening

Sorry to interrupt your day I am sure you are busy. I saw several forum answers to other questions and felt you may have an answer to my question. I am a SGT E-5 M-day soldier. the application I am filling out ask for hours per week. I am unsure how a good year in the NG annotates to hours worked per week. Can you by chance help me with this? I really want this position so I am trying to dot all my I's and cross all my T's on this one.

Re: How agood year in the guard breaks down to hours

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I'm assuming you're trying to list your Guard work on a resume...? In that case, it's simple arithmetic.
    Assuming you spend 2 days a month drilling plus the couple of weeks annually; just combine it all and divide by 52 for a rough weekly average. Of course, in the case of a deployment, you'll get a very different number, so maybe you want to write out two numbers? I'm pretty sure if you write down "Reserve Military" or something along those lines, you'll get a better response than putting down a series of ranges and ambiguous time allocations: Any military commitment isn't a standard job: it's difficult to classify it in the same manner as a civilian career.

Comment

Questions like that on applications are usually just to assess if the job is full time or part time. When the actual screening of the background is done, it usually isn’t looked into. The things that are verified for most jobs are dates of employment, title, and salary if it is available. If there is a comments section on the application, like Vlad.Borisov said, just put "Reserve Military".

I work for a bank doing background screening FT and look at applications all the time. Most reserve applicants don’t list the hours and my HR or screener who is reviewing the application will know it is most likely part time if you have another job that overlaps the time period.

The most important information you can put on the application for that employment is dates, rank, and contact information for your unit because military employment is VERY hard to verify, especially for reserves, without contact information for a specific person. If you can, provide a direct phone number for someone who outranks out at your unit who will verify it for you, and have an email address ready for that person in the event you are contacted for further information.
      Last edited by jaydez; February 1st, 2013, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Ultimately it can be better quantified by duty days per year rather than a weekly hourly breakdown. It could be equivalent of 450- 500 hours per year, but I have to make a strong indication that individual experience may vary!

Comment

M-day equals to 16 hours per week.

Comment

Working...
          X