Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I enlist if back child support is owed?

Im trying to enlist into the military for a good job, pay, benefits etc. I do owe back child support in another state for 4,xxxx . I cant pay if i dont have a career , but I cant enlist if this money is owed ???? what are the credit requirements for enlisting into the military?

Re: Can I enlist if back child support is owed?

The problem I would see is who do you owe that child support to (the state or just the other parent). Some states can be pretty draconian for those who owe child support, ie suspended license or it's even a crime.

Comment

its too the state i really wanna join but like i said its a catch 22 if my license gets suspended or other further punishment .... am i barred from enlistment?

Comment

The Army generally doesn't have a credit requirement to enlist unless you apply for a job requiring a security clearance. Then it will be pulled.
        Last edited by SteveLord; January 29th, 2013, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          Military generally doesn't have a credit requirement to enlist unless you apply for a job requiring a security clearance. Then it will be pulled.
          This is incorrect. The Air Force and Coast Guard require a Security Clearance for ALL members and credit is part of the clearance process.

Comment

owing 49 or 40 gran? Wow.

I hope things work out for you.
            Last edited by Mr_Loki; January 30th, 2013, 08:41 AM. Reason: Really? Must include the sex?

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
              This is incorrect. The Air Force and Coast Guard require a Security Clearance for ALL members and credit is part of the clearance process.
              I have a habit of thinking Green whenever I hear/use the word military.

I'll change that out, but I am admittedly skeptical that every single job in those branches requires a security clearance. Wonder if they list that somewhere. Too many secrets out there.
              Last edited by SteveLord; January 29th, 2013, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I'll change that out, but I am admittedly skeptical that every single job in those branches requires a security clearance. Wonder if they list that somewhere. Too many secrets out there.

Well, I enlisted in the Air National Guard in December so I know for a fact that EVERYONE in the AF/AF Reserves/ANG has to get a secret clearance - regardless if your job requires a clearance

Comment

I thought the same thing Chief and that there is a big back story that we have not heard which could prohibit her service anyways.

Comment

Air Force Instruction 31-501
                    3.8. Military Appointment, Enlistment, and Induction. Personnel appointed, enlisted, or inducted to the active or reserve forces of the Air Force must have a favorable personnel security investigation.

I think it is silly but what do I know?

Comment

OP, with as much back child support that you have , do you have a court order out on you? This may affect your eligibility to enlist.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                        OP, with as much back child support that you have , do you have a court order out on you? This may affect your eligibility to enlist.
                        RyCass is correct. I work at the Dept of Corrections in a New Hampshire county. You could very well have a bench warrant out for your arrest in the state you owe money too. I have booked a few people at the jail who owed in another state and came in on a warrent. You are usually held without bail until you can see a judge to work out a payment plan which would also be part of your bail conditions.
                        There is a guy in my unit who owes over $20,000 and was able to enlist. He had even been arrested twice prior for it before enlisting but has bee able to keep up on the payment plan. He was denied a security clearance because of it though and is now a cook with me at my unit.
                        Best advice I can give you is contact the state's child support enforcement division and start working something out with them. Even if you are unemployed most states still require you to pay about $50 a month.

Comment

Working...
                        X