Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dealing with College and National Guard (Depolyments)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with College and National Guard (Depolyments)

Now, first things first, I'd like to just say that I understand the commitment I am signing up for, and I am not searching for a way to "not get deployed" while in college. For some reason, many people on these forums want an escape from deployment, and from the oath that they provided. I know what I'm signing up for, apparently unlike some selfish people here.

My actual question is how to deal with missing classes in the event of being deployed. I am finishing all of my training before my first semester of an intensive 7 year medical program that is quite strenuous. I know that most colleges are generally cooperative with helping to resume studies in these cases, but I'd like to hear any personal experiences/advice that you have to offer. I'm simply concerned with being kicked out of school because I was deployed.

Thanks in advance,
    Vlad.

Re: Dealing with College and National Guard (Depolyments)

I have a college buddy who is about to head to Afghanistan. he's sitting in texas right now getting some pre mobe training in while enjoying a comfortably warm winter while the rest of us are dealing with ice and snow!. From my very limited experience I can tell you that deployments shouldn't be an issue if you are attending a yellow ribbon schools and public like mine. They are usually very accommodating for veterans, guard and reservists.

off the record. in a worst case scenario, if your school were to refuse you re-enrollment into the program after a deployment, you could always threaten legal action. refusing a veteran from finishing med school wouldn't look too good in the mainstream media.

just my 2 cents

i'm sure one of the admins on here could answer your question with more detail.

scrounged this up after surfing the web

"Currently, federal law does not guarantee equal rights and
    protections across the country to members of the National Guard
    and Reserve who are enrolled in schools, colleges and
    universities. Student members of the National Guard and Reserve
    are not guaranteed refunds of tuition and fees paid for the term
    they cannot complete. There are no provisions for partial course
    credit, or the right to return to the college or university upon
    completion of active service. However, help is on the way. The
    Service Members Opportunity Colleges (SOC) organization is
    prepared to intercede for members experiencing problems, such
    as loss of credit in school courses due to call-up. If a student
    called to active duty is experiencing problems related to course
    credit, tuition, fees or re-enrollment in a program of study, he/she
    can call, toll free, 1-800-368-5622, or write to: Service Members
    Opportunity Colleges, 1 DuPont Circle, NW, Suite 680,
    Washington, DC 20036. A representative from SOC will work
    with the student soldier and the institution involved to resolve the
    issue. Unit commanders with members experiencing such
    problems are urged to make every effort to ensure these members
    know this help is available."

source: http://www.justice.gov/usao/nce/documents/EmploymentRights.pdf - page 32

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad.Borisov View Post
      Now, first things first, I'd like to just say that I understand the commitment I am signing up for, and I am not searching for a way to "not get deployed" while in college. For some reason, many people on these forums want an escape from deployment, and from the oath that they provided. I know what I'm signing up for, apparently unlike some selfish people here.

My actual question is how to deal with missing classes in the event of being deployed. I am finishing all of my training before my first semester of an intensive 7 year medical program that is quite strenuous. I know that most colleges are generally cooperative with helping to resume studies in these cases, but I'd like to hear any personal experiences/advice that you have to offer. I'm simply concerned with being kicked out of school because I was deployed.

Thanks in advance,
      Vlad.
      In my experience, I had a pretty seamless return to school, and that is with being called to duty in the middle of a semester. With so many Soldiers and Veterans going to school now-a-days, colleges are well versed on how to handle this type of transition. My advice is to locate the Veteran's Affairs office at your college. They will have all the information on the school's policies while also being familiar with how deployments work. I found them an invaluable resource.

In general, what you can expect is that you will be withdrawn from all of your classes (if you are currently enrolled in any). Your school will have some kind of policy on how long you will be able to be "gone" before having to re-apply for admittance. My college (a Big Ten school) gave me two years to return to classes, which I found was more than enough time. I'm sure they would have given me more if the deployment was longer, so this was not a concern for me. Any financial aid you will have will be placed on hold without penalty; although depending on the loans you may have, you might continue to accrue interest. Also, once you return everything will be activated as it was before. If you were a "dependent" student, getting deployed will now make you an "independent" student. This means more financial aid opportunities for you. Just be sure to be on top of your FAFSA and the like.

Hope this helps!
      Last edited by RyCass; January 29th, 2013, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad.Borisov View Post

Thanks in advance,
        Vlad.
        It varies from school to school. I deployed twice in college; the first time while I was studying at a huge public university, and the second time after I had transferred to a small private school. In both cases, I was somewhat lucky because the deployment was timed so that it began right after the end of a semester. If you know in advance that your orders will begin during a semester, speak to your professors about the situation and see if there's anything they can do for you. They may be able to mark your courses "incomplete" so that you can complete them upon your return. If not, you'll know that you shouldn't register for the semester at all. Obviously, if you just hit the road in the middle of the semester, you're probably going to fail whatever courses you've registered for and pulling the "I had to go to war" card later on isn't going to work very well. They should try to accommodate you but you still need to recognize that it's their institution and you need to make things as easy for them as possible as well.

Unless they have legal grounds to do so, you're not going to get "kicked out" of school. Taking a leave of absence in order to deploy is not grounds for dismissal. If they try, you'll sue them and they'll be obliterated in court. They will not go down that road -- and if they admitted you in the first place, it's not to their advantage to do so, anyway.

I don't know the details of the education program you're undertaking, but the whole Guard/college routine isn't very common at "elite" institutions (I was the only soldier studying at the school I graduated from -- they didn't even know how to submit my requests for VA benefits). For that reason, they may be unfamiliar with some of the terminology and procedural details of deployments. Try to get a feel for the place and be patient if they don't "get it." Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
          It varies from school to school. I deployed twice in college; the first time while I was studying at a huge public university, and the second time after I had transferred to a small private school. In both cases, I was somewhat lucky because the deployment was timed so that it began right after the end of a semester. If you know in advance that your orders will begin during a semester, speak to your professors about the situation and see if there's anything they can do for you. They may be able to mark your courses "incomplete" so that you can complete them upon your return. If not, you'll know that you shouldn't register for the semester at all. Obviously, if you just hit the road in the middle of the semester, you're probably going to fail whatever courses you've registered for and pulling the "I had to go to war" card later on isn't going to work very well. They should try to accommodate you but you still need to recognize that it's their institution and you need to make things as easy for them as possible as well.

Unless they have legal grounds to do so, you're not going to get "kicked out" of school. Taking a leave of absence in order to deploy is not grounds for dismissal. If they try, you'll sue them and they'll be obliterated in court. They will not go down that road -- and if they admitted you in the first place, it's not to their advantage to do so, anyway.

I don't know the details of the education program you're undertaking, but the whole Guard/college routine isn't very common at "elite" institutions (I was the only soldier studying at the school I graduated from -- they didn't even know how to submit my requests for VA benefits). For that reason, they may be unfamiliar with some of the terminology and procedural details of deployments. Try to get a feel for the place and be patient if they don't "get it." Good luck.
          That's an excellent distinction to make. Private colleges may not have the same support system as public universities. Definitely something to look into before you even deploy.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
            That's an excellent distinction to make. Private colleges may not have the same support system as public universities. Definitely something to look into before you even deploy.
            Yeah, when I came back from my second deployment they (Cooper Union) had lost all my records and didn't realize I had even been admitted there. They initially told me I would have to reapply. I immediately went to speak to the registrar and got it squared away, but it's a good thing I had a copy of my old transcript because they couldn't figure out which classes I had taken (or had received transfer credit for). On the other hand, getting back to my studies at the public school (Rutgers) was a piece of cake.

On that note, if you're going to be withdrawing, you should probably get a few official copies of your transcript as of your withdrawal just in case something goes awry with your reinstatement.

Comment

Thank you so much for all of your replies.

From what I can understand, then, this is a subjective issue that I'll have to resolve individually with my professors and the school itself. I'm likely just going to try and figure the situation out if and when it comes along. Hopefully, I'll be able to get ahead with my work in the beginning of each semester, possibly smoothing the road later on in the case of a short deployment.

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              Private colleges may not have the same support system as public universities.
              I'm looking into an exclusively private education, unfortunately, so both financial stresses and cooperation from the system might be more irking.

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
              you should probably get a few official copies of your transcript as of your withdrawal just in case something goes awry with your reinstatement.
              Thankfully, I was raised to have backups of my backups and copies of my copies haha, but yes, this is great advice.

In any case, thanks a ton, everyone.

Comment

You're welcome, OP. Hopefully, there will be no issues for you. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X