X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Medical" smoking

I am curious about enlisting but am concerned that something from my past might disqualify me.

I had prescription (in CA) for medical cannabis for one year. I have never been charged with any crime more serious than a speeding ticket, no possession charges or dui's, but this prescription might show up in my background check. I haven't smoked in over a year (and don't plan on starting up again) so I can definitely pass a drug test.

Is this something that I can squash by disclosing to my recruiter?

Re: "Medical" smoking

Originally posted by 8675309 View Post
    I am curious about enlisting but am concerned that something from my past might disqualify me.

I had prescription (in CA) for medical cannabis for one year. I have never been charged with any crime more serious than a speeding ticket, no possession charges or dui's, but this prescription might show up in my background check. I haven't smoked in over a year (and don't plan on starting up again) so I can definitely pass a drug test.

Is this something that I can squash by disclosing to my recruiter?
    Nothing involved in someones medical background shows up in any background check. There is no way for someone to access you entire medical history. They only know what you tell them, and what is found during a physical.

With that said, while this is a unique topic, I would say the underlying medical issue that would result in such a prescription is going to be a bigger issue that the drugs you were actually prescribed.

Comment

Re: "Medical" smoking

Aside from the OP's question, I am in a state that passed the legalized use of marijuana but as we get told time and time at those Friday safety briefs; "That law does not pertain to you" (aka military members in the state). I do not know if that includes reserve/Guard members. Similar to when I was stationed in Germany in which it was legal for civilians to enter an establishment that catered to prostitution but was off-limits to servicemembers.

So, if you join, the days of medical marijuana will be over until you exit the service.

Comment

Working...
      X