Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how did other people feel when they were about to do their MEPS

i'm nervous but i'm pumped and can't sleep

Re: how did other people feel when they were about to do their MEPS

I was nervous the first time I went to MEPS. In fact I think my nerves peaked as soon as I got off the bus and was waiting in line to get into the facility. Once you get in though you will be rushed from one exam to another fairly quickly. My nervousness dropped significantly once I started the entire medical screening process. As long as you listen to the MEPS staff and do exactly what they say then you have nothing to worry about. After all the medical checks were done I had to wait quite some time to see the NG counsleor, this is where you solidify your MOS and get your contract. While waiting I found myself a bit anxious knowing I was about to get to the point of absolute no return so a million thoughts were going through my mind. I just reminded myself the reasons I have for embarking on this adventure and that calmed me down.

I wish you the best, relax you will be fine! Please let us know how it went.

Comment

Originally posted by falco View Post
      i'm nervous but i'm pumped and can't sleep
      MEPS has become fun over time. Back in 83, my recruiter just picked me up in my run-down apartment in The Bronx (at 0510) and drove me to Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn (1 hour drive) and it was a fun day. Getting the ticket to have free lunch and looking in awe, the members of the military who got off talking to you like trash.

As years went on, you got to stay at a nice Howard Johnson hotel and make some friends the night before an enjoy a nice continental breakfast. Do they still do that? Last month, I saw a MEPS at a NASA base in California and that place looks so nice and quiet.
      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; January 25th, 2013, 09:31 AM.

Comment

When do you head down there? I was both nervous I would make it and nervous I wouldn't make it. It's a big commitment, but something I had always wanted to do. Just take it all one step at a time. If you look at the whole process all at once it can be daunting (300M mark), but if you look at just what you have to get through today and tomorrow (20M mark) it is a lot more manageable.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
          As years went on, you got to stay at a nice Howard Johnson hotel and make some friends the night before an enjoy a nice continental breakfast. Do they still do that?
          They sure do, when I went they put us up in a Holiday Inn Express. They had a game meeting room equipped with large flat screen TV's for sports and other TV's with both an XBOX and a Playstation setup. They encouraged us to hang out together in this room to get to know each other. It really did make the entire experience more enjoyable, especially getting to know the group of guys you will be spending the next day with. We heard each others stories and at the end of the day were all rooting for each other to get through MEPS successfully.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
            MEPS has become fun over time. Back in 83, my recruiter just picked me up in my run-down apartment in The Bronx (at 0510) and drove me to Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn (1 hour drive) and it was a fun day. Getting the ticket to have free lunch and looking in awe, the members of the military who got off talking to you like trash.

As years went on, you got to stay at a nice Howard Johnson hotel and make some friends the night before an enjoy a nice continental breakfast. Do they still do that? Last month, I saw a MEPS at a NASA base in California and that place looks so nice and quiet.
            Man, you guys all got VIP treatment. There's a MEPS in my town (20 minutes from home, 5 from my job). Therefore, I got no hotel, not even a ride from my house. I had to get my own self up and there at the right time!

Comment

You'll be fine, just do as your told. Don't wear anything with holes and look sloppy and unkempt and for goodness sake do NOT lean on any walls while waiting in line; I don't care how tired you think you are.

Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
              X