Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home of Record

Hello,

Well, looks like I'm going from Active Air Force to Guard and I got a position as a full time Tech in a WG11 spot here in Missouri doing the exact same job I do now. Im currently a Florida resident and dont pay property tax or state tax for Florida but in Missouri they do. Once I go Guard in Missouri do I have to swap to Missouri or is there a way to stay a Florida resident? Thanks in advance for any help in this matter. Cant wait to be a civilian. - Rick

Re: Home of Record

Originally posted by Zonly1 View Post
    Hello,

Well, looks like I'm going from Active Air Force to Guard and I got a position as a full time Tech in a WG11 spot here in Missouri doing the exact same job I do now. Im currently a Florida resident and dont pay property tax or state tax for Florida but in Missouri they do. Once I go Guard in Missouri do I have to swap to Missouri or is there a way to stay a Florida resident? Thanks in advance for any help in this matter. Cant wait to be a civilian. - Rick
    Technically speaking, a reservist does not get the exemptions of claiming another state like an active member would.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      Technically speaking, a reservist does not get the exemptions of claiming another state like an active member would.

I've searched the net for this answer and yet to find one stating for fact whats the law. I've come to learn to search the facts/laws on anything Im told I can or cant do. Being able to keep Florida would save a lot of cash. This job is too good to not let go by. Its a $10-15k a yr pay raise depending on what Step I come in as. With my experience it could be step 3-5.

Comment

Originally posted by Zonly1 View Post
        I've searched the net for this answer and yet to find one stating for fact whats the law. I've come to learn to search the facts/laws on anything Im told I can or cant do. Being able to keep Florida would save a lot of cash. This job is too good to not let go by. Its a $10-15k a yr pay raise depending on what Step I come in as. With my experience it could be step 3-5.
        You're not going to find a law that says you cannot keep florida. You are going to find laws that make you claim Missourri. Such as changing your DL and filing a MO tax return after "X" amount of time in that state. You are also going to find laws that grant exemptions to military members serving on active duty. If you got hired AGR from florida, you could pull it off. Being that you are moving as a technician, you will be searching for "that" law for eternity.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoebe
          You do not need to change your home of record for the purposes of the last move at government expense. The entitlemment will be in your retirement orders. You will have up to 1 year to make the move from the date you are placed on the retired list (which is after terminal leave is over). HOR is used as the baseline for the cost of moving. All the military is responsible for is getting you back to the location from which you joined. In my case I joined in Texas, but I am now in Connecticut. The allowance is enough to get me back to Texas (Houston). If I go a shorter distance... great I save Uncle Sam some money. If I go farther, I may be subject to the cost difference. Highly unlikely I would be charged for it... but it is possible. When I retired over three years ago, I was told I could move anywhere in the USA.
          This response is not in any way relevant to the OPs question / posts. He is not retiring. Nor is he doing a PPM (formerly a DITY move).

Comment

Working...
          X