X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some help

can a single parent join the guard? i was told no by the army. i share custody of my kids with my ex.

Re: need some help

I believe it is possible but you would need a dependent waiver and for this you are going to have to prove your children will be supported from both a financial and a support perspective when you are away on training and when/if you get called up for deployments.

By the way, there is another thread on here that might shed some more light on this for you;

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...national-guard
    Last edited by SierraBravo; January 23rd, 2013, 07:37 PM. Reason: add link to other thread

Comment

i have went though all that with the army but i would have to give my ex full custody. thats something im not wanting to do. they would be taking care of in every way wether im here or away

Comment

Originally posted by magg1 View Post
        i have went though all that with the army but i would have to give my ex full custody. thats something im not wanting to do. they would be taking care of in every way wether im here or away
        I don't think you have to give full custody to your ex, I believe you can create a family care plan and then designate someone to have power of attorney. Please contact a local NG recruiter, they may be able to help.

Comment

thanks! i'll take a look at it.

Comment

that i am willing to, i will be getting re-married within the year and she is not inlisted in any branch.

Comment

Originally posted by SierraBravo View Post
              I don't think you have to give full custody to your ex, I believe you can create a family care plan and then designate someone to have power of attorney. Please contact a local NG recruiter, they may be able to help.
              That is correct. You do not have to give full custody, but have a Family Care Plan in place. This basically states who will take care of your children while you are training or away for deployments.

Comment

Working...
              X