Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two broad questions and an introduction.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Two broad questions and an introduction.

Surprised with the amount of spoon feeding needed here:

Parole Texas Major course work in Criminal Justice, Counseling,
    Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, or related field preferred.

US Marshals Service One full year of graduate level study related to a field in law enforcement or other related fields such as Criminal Justice, Sociology

US Probation Officer Completion of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in criminal justice, criminology, psychology, sociology, human relations, business or public administration

Police Officer - US Treasury Successfully completed a 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree in Police Science or a comparable degree program related to the work of this position. Examples include: Administration of Justice, Criminal Justice or Correctional Administration.

Corrections Officer - US Bureau of Prisons FOR GL-06: Nine (9) semester hours or fourteen (14) quarter hours of graduate study, from an accredited school, in Criminal Justice, Criminology, Social Science, or another field of study related to the position such as law.

US Army CID Agent Qualification requirements for the entry level procurement fraud investigator include either a minimum of 3 years felony investigative experience or a master’s degree in a related field such as law, business, accounting, contracting or criminal justice.

Just after a few minutes of searching. I will agree some of the federal jobs, a graduate degree would be more appealing but this is the minimum.
    Last edited by RedLeg; January 23rd, 2013, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post

US Marshals Service One full year of graduate level study related to a field in law enforcement or other related fields such as Criminal Justice, Sociology

US Probation Officer Completion of a bachelorís degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in criminal justice, criminology, psychology, sociology, human relations, business or public administration

Police Officer - US Treasury Successfully completed a 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree in Police Science or a comparable degree program related to the work of this position. Examples include: Administration of Justice, Criminal Justice or Correctional Administration.

Corrections Officer - US Bureau of Prisons FOR GL-06: Nine (9) semester hours or fourteen (14) quarter hours of graduate study, from an accredited school, in Criminal Justice, Criminology, Social Science, or another field of study related to the position such as law.

US Army CID Agent Qualification requirements for the entry level procurement fraud investigator include either a minimum of 3 years felony investigative experience or a masterís degree in a related field such as law, business, accounting, contracting or criminal justice.

Just after a few minutes of searching. I will agree some of the federal jobs, a graduate degree would be more appealing but this is the minimum.
      1) This link is dead.
      2) You can qualify by demonstrating either "Specialized Experience," "Education," or "Superior Academic Achievement." A degree in CJ is not required for this position.
      3) Okay, I'll give you this one.
      4) You win.
      5) Looks like that requirement is only for the higher pay grade position. Also, I'm pretty sure that ANY bachelor's degree is going to involve at least nine credit hours (that's three classes) of social sciences. So this is not a good example.
      6) Okay, so they recognize a master's in criminal justice. Great. They also recognize a JD, MBA, and a master's in accounting -- all of which are much more versatile than a master's in criminal justice.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post

US Probation Officer Completion of a bachelorís degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in criminal justice, criminology, psychology, sociology, human relations, business or public administration

US Army CID Agent Qualification requirements for the entry level procurement fraud investigator include either a minimum of 3 years felony investigative experience or a masterís degree in a related field such as law, business, accounting, contracting or criminal justice.

...except none of those positions are better paying or any more prestigious than municipal/state law enforcement with the exception of the USMS (but they are not hiring so that's a moot point).

RedLeg, the burden of proof isn't simply that certain law enforcement vacancies prefer Criminal Justice. The burden of proof is IF a BA Criminal Justice degree allows one to be competitive for BETTER law enforcement positions. That burden of proof has not been met by any of the links you provided.

Personally, the only law enforcement I would consider is federal law enforcement in an investigative capacity. The only agency that I will ever apply to is the Federal Bureau of Investigation as an 1811 but that depends on how that matches with my own timeline. But that window of opportunity is closing really fast (1-2 years) because beyond that timeline, the pay cut to a GS-10 (with AVP/LEAP and Locality) would be too substantial to bear.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren
          I give up. I tried to reply, but it said it needs approval. I am sure that one of the censors will be along shortly to dump it into the abyss of deleted posts.
          It doesn't get dumped or deleted. It falls into a queue that is accessed via a separate control panel. Then it must get validated by a mod and applied. Certain factors cause this like if the OP is a new member or some posts containing URLs.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
            It doesn't get dumped or deleted. It falls into a queue that is accessed via a separate control panel. Then it must get validated by a mod and applied. Certain factors cause this like if the OP is a new member or some posts containing URLs.
            Well, one of my earlier posts was marked for review and then someone (I think it was RyCass) said it wasn't in the queue. Regardless, thanks for posting this one.

Comment

OK guys, amidst all the technical issues and arguments about education, we've gotten off topic. Last chance...does anyone else have thing else to add to the OP's original post?

Comment

Working...
              X