X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Suggestions?

Not really sure if this is the right board to post this on, but it didn't seem to fit the other
    boards, so I figured I'd give it a shot here.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for books related to the military, or more specifically the National Guard?
    I'm a big fan of military biographies! I've read quite a few about Special Forces, Navy SEALs, etc. but I haven't ran across any related to the NG, so I wanted to see if any of you could suggest any.

By the way, if you're looking for a good read, I suggest Fearless by Eric Blehm, American Sniper by Chris Kyle, and Hope Unseen by Cpt. Scotty Smiley.

Re: Book Suggestions?

"Greetings From Afghanistan, Send More Ammo: Dispatches from Taliban Country " by Benjamin Tupper

Comment

I met Salvatore A. Guinta, Medal Of Honor Recipient at Fort Carson and he is a very humble and a great person. I purchased his book Living With Honor and on page 101 now.

It is an account of his life told from his time to school to the Korengal Valley. I felt the book is a very good and easy read. Written like he is talking to you. At times holds no punches but at moments shows a lot of tact for the Army and our government.

Some things he writes about is when he quit the Rangers and how he met an SF guy on one of his missions in Afghanistan and felt those guys were the cream of the crop and then how he was crushed when he learned the SF guy was killed on mission and how it left him shock because he always thought of those guys as unkillable like Rambo.

Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; January 16th, 2013, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely check those out! I bet it was a great experience meeting him! I'm excited to read his book!

Comment

"Tell my sons" by Lieutenant Colonel Mark Weber. It is him writing to his sons about his life in the active duty and guard portion of military and how he has to deal with having terminal cancer and other life experiences. It has a lot of good outlooks on life and makes petty things in your life like, blizzards in April, seem not so important. I know this thread is kind of old, but I just came across it and I just read this book and I thought I would share it.
          Last edited by jwald; April 23rd, 2013, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Black Hearts by Jim Frederick is required reading for Officers in my Battalion, and I highly recommend it. It will make you angry, but that's how "lessons learned" go.

Comment

Great thread, I am going to have to look into some of the books that have been suggested. If I may add one myself, I found 'Kill or Capture' by Matthew Alexander a very good read. It is an interesting perspective on interrogation and intelligence collection. My next read will be 'The Outpost' by Jack Trapper. It is about former SSG. Clinton Romesha and the battle for COB Keating where he was awarded the MOH.

Comment

Working...
              X