Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lots of questions. still unsure about this

Hi.

i am at the point where i need to get my life on the right path. finding a job is difficult because i either need more experience or some form of degree. i have few choices and National Guard is one of them. I would like to go to school, but just the thought of the expenses has me put that on hold.

I have talked to a recruiter just to get some info on the Guard. understand that this is a huge step for me to take. so i'd like to know how is the training life? i know its like 8-10 weeks, but thats it.

other questions will arise in time. but this is one thing i'd like to know.

Re: lots of questions. still unsure about this

You have a lot of research to do. Just BCT is about 10 weeks. After BCT, you will go to AIT, which varies in length. Once you are out of AIT, you will report to your unit for a drill once a month and do annual training once a year for two weeks. The National Guard is part time unless you go out of your way to look for AGR, or other full time slots. If you want a steady full time job, you need to look into active duty.

Take a look around the forum. Search for different things you're curious about. If you can't find answers to specific questions, then ask.

Comment

Again, if employment is a concern, why not go full-time? You can not gain a suitable yearly income from part-time service.

Comment

Fmcityslicker is right. As a lower enlisted, I only take home about $200 for a MUTA 4(which is two days). The extra income is nice but it's not very much if it's money you're worried about. Active duty is where the money is at.

Comment

well how long is this training and after? the recruiter told me once training is done, i report back to my home town. you said i will report to my unit for a drill once a month and do annual training once a year for two weeks. is that training in the specific skill i scored in?

employment is something that would help me not only financially, but also with experience. yes it would be nice to find a job, but i wont go far without a degree and little experience.

i do wish to get a degree. the sooner the better.

also is there a list of the acronyms used? i don't want to get confused.

Comment

Basic Combat Training (BCT) is ten weeks, then your Advanced Individual Training (AIT) can be anywhere from six weeks to over a year, depending on your MOS.

Once you return to your Unit, you will typically do your job one weekend per month and two weeks per year, usually in the summer.

If you want to get your degree, do it! Use the National Guard and it's education benefits to pay for it, you really cannot beat what they offer. Depending on how long your training is, you can put away some money too.

Concerning military acronyms, there's a great site out there called Google. Try typing in Army acronyms and you just might come up with "About 5,650,000 results (0.18 seconds) "

Good luck!

Comment

Ghost Rider,

What job is it that you want to do in the military. The job, or MOS (Military Occupation Specialty) dictates how long you will be gone after Basic Training. Depending on what MOS you qualify for, depends on what is available. The better your ASVAB score, the more options you have.

You also have to look at what jobs are available in your state. Your recruiter is the person who can tell you that. No reason to go to a UH-60 mechanic school if your state doesn't have UH-60's. Working with your recruiter you can find out what jobs are available, how long you will have to be gone, and what score you need on the ASVAB in order to get your dream job.

If you have specific questions let us know.

Comment

i am not sure what jobs there are in the military.

i did take the ASVAB, but that was back in my senior year or junior year in high school. i know i would have to take it again. was there a specific number i had to score above to get placed in something?

is it best if i talk to the recruiter again if i have further questions?

Comment

You can look through all of the MOS's online. Just Google "Army MOS description". I usually go with about.com. The description will tell you what the requirements are for ASVAB scores, how long it is, where it is, etc. Don't just choose an MOS because it's shorter, or because it's in a more convenient location. Choose something you will enjoy doing, or something that is similar to what you're going to college for. Also, when you're looking through them, make a list of quite a few that you would like. I went through about 5 different MOSs at MEPS because they were having trouble finding a unit near me with a slot for the MOS that I wanted. So just because they can give you that MOS, doesn't mean that the unit that you would like to be assigned to has a slot for that MOS. You could get the MOS you want and end up having to drill 4 or 5 hours away from where you live, which a couple people in my unit have to do. I only drive two hours though, haha.

Comment

so the college degree i wish to get is a Bachelor of Science in Communication with a Concentration in Communication and Technology.

and from the looks of the list, the locations are pretty much out of state for me. so would i be sent to the x location to do the training and return back home? and if training is once a month, would it be in my home town with a unit?

also what happens if i don't score high enough for the jobs i was looking forward to doing?

Comment

Yes, your AIT would most likely be out of state. Once you graduate from AIT, you will go back home. Now, ideally your unit would be close to where you live and they would have a slot for your MOS. That's why you have to make sure that when you choose an MOS, that a unit near you HAS that MOS.

If you don't score high enough, I believe you'll have to take it again. With the ASVAB, i'm not sure if there's a limit to how many times you can take it, or what the regulations are on that, so you may have to look into it.

Comment

Working...
                      X