Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these supplements banned?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Are these supplements banned?

    You shouldn't worry about it. There's nothing illegal in these supplements, main ingredients are: Caffeine Anhydrous, Coleus Forskohlii, Green Coffee Extract, Cocoa Extract, L-Theanine. You're safe

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Are these supplements banned?

      Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      Well, considering it is not an illegal drug, I think you are good. When trying to access whether or not a substance will test positive on a drug test, use this single question as a test parameter..."is it an illegal drug"? If no, then....no.
      This is a little misleading; there are some "banned" substances that aren't illegal. Bath Salts and Spice come to mind. I'm not sure of the whole list because I don't mess with putting weird things in my body, but the "if it's not illegal, it's okay" idea is not accurate at all.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Are these supplements banned?

        Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
        This is a little misleading; there are some "banned" substances that aren't illegal. Bath Salts and Spice come to mind. I'm not sure of the whole list because I don't mess with putting weird things in my body, but the "if it's not illegal, it's okay" idea is not accurate at all.
        You won't see the words spice or bath salts on the controlled substabce list, you will see their ingredients. Furthermore, any type of fake cannibus is illegal in the military per secretary of the army policy. That is quite different than a supplement bought at gnc. There isn't any substance tested for that isn't an illegal drug, one way or another.

        http://www.justice.gov/dea/pubs/pressrel/pr030111.html

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Are these supplements banned?

          You know what? No matter what someone says, someone is going to walk up in this thread and have something different to say about whatever. Ultimately, some ding dong is going to show up at MEPS, pop hot and have a million reasons and excuses. Then, they're going to spend the rest of the day sitting in the waiting room crying on anyone's shoulder that's big enough of a sucker to listen. Here's the bottom line: If you think something is illegal or banned, then just leave it alone--period. No ifs, ands, buts or maybees. Leave it alone. If its sold in your neighborhood grocery store, if you have a prescription for it or if it isn't for 'recreational use', then you're safe. If a person is THAT bent up over something they took, then perhaps enlisting is the last thing that should be on their mind.
          Last edited by VICEROY06; February 5th, 2013, 02:07 PM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Are these supplements banned?

            Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
            There isn't any substance tested for that isn't an illegal drug, one way or another.
            "Tested for" and "banned" are different phrases with different meanings. I can tell you right now that Spice and Bath Salts are banned under those names by the Army.

            References:
            http://www.acsap.army.mil/Pdf/Sec_Ar...tions-Memo.pdf
            http://acsap.army.mil/Pdf/ALARACT_29...ARIATIONS).pdf
            http://www.acsap.army.mil/Pdf/Federa...ster_Spice.pdf
            http://www.acsap.army.mil/Pdf/Federa...Bath_Salts.pdf


            But I'm not getting into a hypothetical argument about some of the weird supplements available at GNC that cause gynecomastia, testicular atrophy, etc. and whether they should be considered "fake steroids" the way that Spice is considered "fake pot."


            For the OP, here's the reference for DoD drug testing: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/101016p.pdf

            Here's a direct web link for anybody that is curious about the Army's testing policy and procedures: http://acsap.army.mil/sso/pages/public/laws/army.jsp

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Are these supplements banned?

              Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
              "Tested for" and "banned" are different phrases with different meanings. I can tell you right now that Spice and Bath Salts are banned under those names by the Army.

              References:
              http://www.acsap.army.mil/Pdf/Sec_Ar...tions-Memo.pdf
              http://acsap.army.mil/Pdf/ALARACT_29...ARIATIONS).pdf
              http://www.acsap.army.mil/Pdf/Federa...ster_Spice.pdf
              http://www.acsap.army.mil/Pdf/Federa...Bath_Salts.pdf


              But I'm not getting into a hypothetical argument about some of the weird supplements available at GNC that cause gynecomastia, testicular atrophy, etc. and whether they should be considered "fake steroids" the way that Spice is considered "fake pot."


              For the OP, here's the reference for DoD drug testing: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/101016p.pdf

              Here's a direct web link for anybody that is curious about the Army's testing policy and procedures: http://acsap.army.mil/sso/pages/public/laws/army.jsp
              I agree with you, but the thread was about testing positive. If the chemical makeup of spice is not on the controlled substance list, it will not be tested for, although other variations of the fake drug can still be banned. This is also the reason you will not be charged with article 112a with a drug offense unless the spice contains one of those chemical, instead you are charged with failing to obey a lawful order. In regards to the urinalysis, if its not illegal (on controlled substance list) it isn't tested for.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Are these supplements banned?

                There isn't any substance tested for that isn't an illegal drug, one way or another.
                There are actually several prescription drugs that will cause a false positive and the SM submits medical documentation.

                Back to the OP's questions, there are several weight loss supplements that have been banned by the military or have the ability to cause a false positive as they use ephedrine. This is probably what the OP was referring to or one of the comments about a 1SG.

                Just because a drug is not tested for doesn't mean it's not on the controlled substance list. For "spice" there's not easy or reliable way to test. Or the cost of the test makes it prohibitive (steroids).

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Are these supplements banned?

                  Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                  There are actually several prescription drugs that will cause a false positive and the SM submits medical documentation.
                  This is not a false positive, this is a positive "positive"..You can test positive for prescription drugs, of which are illegal without "medical documentation". A false positive is testing hot for something you didn't take; in this scenario the joe is actually taking the prescription drug, the doctor just made it legal for him to do so.

                  Ephedrine is an illegal substance if used in dietary supplements in the USA, so those supplements need not be banned by the military (although ephedra extract is still allowed).

                  Also, you last sentence reversed my words....if it is not on the controlled substance list it will not be tested, but like you said, that doesn't mean they test for ALL the substances on said list..hopefully op sees the difference.
                  Last edited by Mr.Incognito; February 6th, 2013, 12:55 AM.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X