Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruiter is on vacation...

Hello all,

As my first post on here, I would just like to introduce myself. I am a 27 y/o married man with no children living in the mountains of Colorado. Wow, that sounds like I confused this with some sort of dating site! Moving on...

I have just recently completed my Path to Honor application on line and was contacted by my local recruiter. He was able to walk me through some things as well as answer some basic questions, mostly concerning my MOS choices. However, he told me he would be on vacation until Monday but would still be able to field some of my questions. I would like to respect his vacation time by not bothering him, but my wife and parents are breathing down my neck for more information. So I thought maybe the combined efforts of this forum could help me out.

My wife and I have sat down and started a list of questions we would like to have answered. As for my parents, well they are typical parents. I have read a large number of other posts on here concerning parents, and I just want to make sure I can give them as much accurate information as possible. I apologize in advance if this is long winded; I haven't been able to think of much else this past week and my brain is on overdrive right now.

My questions are:

What pay is to be expected?
    What about any bonuses?

Is enlistment requirement 8 years regardless of MOS?

What outlook is there for civilian employment, should I choose to not re-enlist?

What promotion opportunities are available?

What sort of health/dental benefits are provided?
    If not provided, what is available for me and my family?

Is AIT directly after BCT? Or does that depend mainly on MOS?

What percentage of the National Guard actually gets deployed?
    Within the U.S. vs. overseas

This is a major life decision and I have no intention of quitting or pulling out after I start. What happens if my wife or family member is injured or sick while I am at RSP, BCT, AIT or any other training?

What happens if I am injured or become ill at RSP, BCT, AIT or any other training?
    Serious injury/illness vs. minor injury/illness

When do paychecks come in and do I receive them or is there direct deposit?

During BCT, do purchases at the PX come from out of pocket, or withdrawn from pay?

As a civilian firefighter, I get deployed to wildfires for up to two weeks. What would happen if I was deployed for my civilian job and then got orders to deploy with the National Guard?

Can leaving the AFROTC under sketchy circumstances hurt my application?
    (Explanation: As a stupid college freshman, I decided to walk out of PT one day and never came back)

I was told to not include medical history such as meningitis (no lasting effects) and a stomach ulcer (almost healed) off of my application simply because it was grounds for automatic DQ. What are your thoughts?

With the whole AFROTC thing, I am ashamed to even mention it. It truly was a stupid decision, but more-so handled in a poor manner. I would be extremely disappointed if that could somehow come back and bite me. I am so excited about this possibility, and my wife is backing me with 100% support whether I choose to enlist or not. I never did manage to get my lazy butt a college degree (which is something else from that time period I regret), but I do have some credits. I will have to check with the schools for the exact amount.

I believe that is all for now, and please forgive the essay I have written. I just want to have all my ducks in a row before I make a major life decision. I have included as much information that I can think of being pertinent but please let me know if there is anything further you need. I appreciate any assistance you all can offer at your convenience!

Re: Recruiter is on vacation...

What promotion opportunities are available?
    Automatic to E-4 and depends on you afterwards in regards to your MOS and state availability for positions of higher rank.

What sort of health/dental benefits are provided?
    there is a tricare plan for reserve members that you will pay into

Is AIT directly after BCT? Or does that depend mainly on MOS?
    yes, most of the time unless a person enlists split-op

What percentage of the National Guard actually gets deployed?
    I dont have those statistics. Just expect to deploy

This is a major life decision and I have no intention of quitting or pulling out after I start. What happens if my wife or family member is injured or sick while I am at RSP, BCT, AIT or any other training?
    through a red cross message, you will be afforded emergency leave

What happens if I am injured or become ill at RSP, BCT, AIT or any other training?
    you see a doc

When do paychecks come in and do I receive them or is there direct deposit?
    direct deposit

During BCT, do purchases at the PX come from out of pocket, or withdrawn from pay?
    through your cash/debit/credit card

As a civilian firefighter, I get deployed to wildfires for up to two weeks. What would happen if I was deployed for my civilian job and then got orders to deploy with the National Guard?
    your command may work with you on making up the training. military obligation is paramount

Can leaving the AFROTC under sketchy circumstances hurt my application?
    (Explanation: As a stupid college freshman, I decided to walk out of PT one day and never came back)

I was told to not include medical history such as meningitis (no lasting effects) and a stomach ulcer (almost healed) off of my application simply because it was grounds for automatic DQ. What are your thoughts?

With the whole AFROTC thing, I am ashamed to even mention it. It truly was a stupid decision, but more-so handled in a poor manner. I would be extremely disappointed if that could somehow come back and bite me. I am so excited about this possibility, and my wife is backing me with 100% support whether I choose to enlist or not. I never did manage to get my lazy butt a college degree (which is something else from that time period I regret), but I do have some credits. I will have to check with the schools for the exact amount.

I believe that is all for now, and please forgive the essay I have written. I just want to have all my ducks in a row before I make a major life decision. I have included as much information that I can think of being pertinent but please let me know if there is anything further you need. I appreciate any assistance you all can offer at your convenience![/QUOTE]

I am stationed at Fort Carson, Colorado and an active duty Soldier that served in the Guard for over 7 years. (back and forth between the Army Reserves and Marine Corps active duty).

My responses are in bold. Hope this helped somewhat.

Comment

Great responses! Be sure to check out the National Guard website, OP. There's a lot of information on the what you can expect going into the enlistment process.

Comment

I answered to this thread and my answers disappeared.

Comment

What pay is to be expected?
          starting out at about a little over 3000.00 a year.
          What about any bonuses?
          depends on the MOS and initial enlistment term.

• Is enlistment requirement 8 years regardless of MOS?
          total obligation equals 8 so yes.

• What outlook is there for civilian employment, should I choose to not re-enlist?
          Guard is part-time service. You should have a full-time job.

• What promotion opportunities are available?
          automatic to e-4 and then competitive after that and based on availability.

• What sort of health/dental benefits are provided?
          tricare select for reserve members

• Is AIT directly after BCT? Or does that depend mainly on MOS?
          yes, most of the time

• What percentage of the National Guard actually gets deployed?
          unknown

• This is a major life decision and I have no intention of quitting or pulling out after I start. What happens if my wife or family member is injured or sick while I am at RSP, BCT, AIT or any other training?
          through a red cross message, emergency leave.

• What happens if I am injured or become ill at RSP, BCT, AIT or any other training?
          you see the doc.

• When do paychecks come in and do I receive them or is there direct deposit?
          direct deposit

• During BCT, do purchases at the PX come from out of pocket, or withdrawn from pay?
          cash/debit/credit card

• As a civilian firefighter, I get deployed to wildfires for up to two weeks. What would happen if I was deployed for my civilian job and then got orders to deploy with the National Guard?
          you deal with your command if that happens

Comment

Perfect! Thank you kindly

Comment

I don't advocate lying about your medical history. The "good" news is, neither of those are absolute disqualifiers. Menigitis for example, simply has to have been longer than 1 year prior to enlistment without ongoing issues.

Comment

And I don't like lying-about anything! Would either simply require a waiver?

Comment

I'm not even certain they require a waiver. If the Menigitis for example has been over a year, it isn't a disqualifier.

Comment

Copy that. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
                    X