X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when did you enter?

I have been really thinking about joining the Guard, and i know the age limits is up to 35. However was wanting some insight from other that joined a little later rather than a few years after high school. I am now 29 but have always wanted to serve in some form. Thanks

Re: when did you enter?

I joined at 29. I'm 32 now and still loving it. The only problem I had with being one of the older people in BCT and AIT is I got very irritated by the younger people who still didn’t know right from wrong and couldn’t control their actions. There is no problem with joining when you are older if it is something you really want to do.

Comment

I joined at 35 a few years ago. The only tough part was as Jaydez mentioned, putting up with a much younger group for 11wks. Some did PT better than me, some didn't and I was in moderate shape when I started. The tough part was that I didn't bounce back quite as fast as they did. Other than that, it wasn't any different.

At 29 they will barely even notice the age difference (except you may act a little more mature). If you have specific questions let me know, but as far as age goes I'm not sure that will be much of a consideration at all.

Comment

Thank you both. This was not a deciding factor for me and what you both said about the way others act at a younger age, was really what i was trying to see how others dealt with it.

Comment

Originally posted by lsayle View Post
          I have been really thinking about joining the Guard, and i know the age limits is up to 35. However was wanting some insight from other that joined a little later rather than a few years after high school. I am now 29 but have always wanted to serve in some form. Thanks
          I was 18 when I joined. I'm 28 now.

Personally, I appreciated having some of the older guys who had already matured somewhat. Then again, some of them seemed like they needed more hand-holding than I did.

I don't think you should let your age discourage you from joining. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by lsayle View Post
            Thank you both. This was not a deciding factor for me and what you both said about the way others act at a younger age, was really what i was trying to see how others dealt with it.
            When you are 29 you will definitely not be the oldest person at BCT, unless you are, for some reason, in a Split-Op cycle. How I dealt with it was I mostly associated myself with the older people in both BCT and AIT. I found people I could depend on and stuck with them. I didn't hang out with the kids when we had personal time in BCT or when we had passes during AIT. Some times you will get really annoyed, some times you will laugh, some times you will just want to sleep.
            When I was in BCT and I got annoyed I would go to the corner of by myself for a bit, take out my pad, and write a letter to my girlfriend (no wife) to vent a bit. I usually wrote a letter every day. It helps and in the end, it is only 11 weeks of BCT and how ever long your AIT may be.

Comment

I had similar feelings as the OP. I'm 27 and was curious what effect being a bit older might have for a person. I figured I wouldn't recover quite as quickly. Nice to hear some other people wondering the same.

Comment

I came back on active duty the day after I turned 38 years old and now 47. It is all in your mind. I do this on a daily basis.

Comment

Working...
                X