X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hit a snag in my enlistment process

So I was all set to go to MEPS this Friday. My recruiter calls me and tells me the MOS I am wanting is no longer available and wanted to know if I would consider a different MOS. The one he suggested is 14G which is entirely different than the 68W I was wanting. I have civilian training and I have just a few weeks until I complete my LPN. He told me it would be very easy to change my MOS after enlistment, But I have heard that it is not easy and very unlikely. So my question is, Is this normal and if you were in my situation and wanting to further your career in the medical field, what would you do? I really want to have tuition assistance to get my BSN, but I also want to get the skills that a 68W will provide me. Im not sure how a air defense battle management system operator is a logical second choice. Should I just hold off on going to MEPS until my MOS opens again? I was open yesterday and now its not, so do I play this game of one day at a time forever? I know I seem to be rambling on and on, But I want to Love my career in the NG and not mess it up. Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: hit a snag in my enlistment process

If your goal is to further your medical career, then I recommend that you enlist in any available MOS that interests you, and use tuition assistance for a nursing degree. Once you have a BSN/RN, being a combat medic doesn't really add anything to your career in a formal sense. You may also find that having an entirely different career in the Guard makes it more interesting, rather than just doing your regular job another two days in different clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
      If your goal is to further your medical career, then I recommend that you enlist in any available MOS that interests you, and use tuition assistance for a nursing degree. Once you have a BSN/RN, being a combat medic doesn't really add anything to your career in a formal sense. You may also find that having an entirely different career in the Guard makes it more interesting, rather than just doing your regular job another two days in different clothes.
      +1. If you're going to pursue a BSN, then you can talk to an AMEDD recruiter about your chances of direct commissioning.

Comment

It is almost impossible to change your MOS after enlistment!! Don't let them lie to you... Take whatever MOS YOU want to take, don't get pressured into taking some POS MOS.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone! I did think about the fact that I may want to do something other than my civilian job so that I don't get burned out. But on the other hand, if I get deployed I want to be doing something that I love. I dont think I would be happy if I got deployed and had to sit behind a desk. I like to get in there and get my hands dirty. I believe My calling is to be an Army nurse so maybe that is what I should just stick with. I may have to wait a while to enlist but from what I read in general, I should start learning patience now! thanks again. Oh and btw. I live in Ohio and the 68W is always scarce, but my neigboring state of Ky seems to have loads. why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Lee, S. View Post
            It is almost impossible to change your MOS after enlistment!! Don't let them lie to you... Take whatever MOS YOU want to take, don't get pressured into taking some POS MOS.
            A bit dramatic. People change MOS all the time. It's very hard to do within a short timeframe, although over a twenty year career it's common to see Guardsmen with three or more MOS.

Additionally, there is no such thing as a bad MOS, just people who are poorly suited for that MOS. For years I thought that Fuel Handler must be just the worst job in the entire Army, until one day I happened to mention that in front of two Soldiers who had originally enlisted as Fuel Handlers (and were now in a different MOS, so this anecdote works on two levels). They both proceeded to list several intelligent, logical reasons why it is a good MOS (e.g., Hazmat certifications that are valuable in the civilian world; high level of work predictability; satisfaction of doing something directly and critically important to the warfight). Personally, I still don't want to be a Fuel Handler, and that's OK, because plenty of people do. Most people have no desire to be whatever it is that I am, and that's OK too, because the Army doesn't really need that many of me.

It's your career, so who cares if someone else thinks that Infantry is stupid, or Vehicle Operator is lame, or Radar Technician is for dorks. You're the one who will do it, so you're the only one that needs to be happy with it. No matter what MOS you pick, someone will mock you for it, so don't worry about it.

Comment

Thank you! I just want to make sure they MOS I will be in suits me. if you don't have aome type of interest then it would alsomst be impossible to do the job to your fullest potential. I am definetly one who learns my job and always gives 110%. I am just nervous I guess. I suppose it doesn't matter too much right now. When I finish my BSN I will go for a different MOS or officer. can you tell me anything about 35f intel analyst or anything about 14g?

Comment

Originally posted by Lee, S. View Post
                I wouldn't go that far. There are numerous opportunities to change your MOS. Many members of the National Guard have multiple MOS's and have aquired those solely in the Guard.

The most common I've seen is unit members changing to a different MOS opened with thier unit.

Comment

okay, update. I went to MEPS today and took my ASVAB. I scored high enough to practically pick any MOS. My question is about the 68W. I am confused. I qualify now and I read that the AIT is 16 weeks, but my recruiter tells me now that his "boss" says it is actually 42 weeks and that I shouldn't do it because the high probability of being deployed. ( I have 3 children ages 11, 12 and 16). He says i should do something else and that I really won't learn anything more that could help me along in my civilian career. I am just about to graduate LPN school. Also, what are the requirements if say I just decide to go to OCS or warrant O? I may sound dumb, but I really don't know a lot about the technical stuff. Please give me any and all info you have. especially about 68W training and deployement history so I know If my recruiter is just trying to get me in a spot he needs filled. Thanks!

Comment

Select the MOS that YOU want to do! Unless, you have a second choice that is a viable option. Any MOS is deployable. The unit deploys not the MOS.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                      Select the MOS that YOU want to do! Unless, you have a second choice that is a viable option. Any MOS is deployable. The unit deploys not the MOS.
                      I didnt realize that unit not MOS deploys. That helps my decision a lot. Do you know any more about the actual length of AIT? thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by momof3 View Post
                        I didnt realize that unit not MOS deploys. That helps my decision a lot. Do you know any more about the actual length of AIT? thanks!
                        Video is kind of old but it says nearly 4 months. Sounds like 16/17 weeks. Additional skill training will increase the length of AIT as stated on this page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/68W

After completion of Basic Combat Training, soldiers training for 68W10 ship to Fort Sam Houston, Texas for Advanced Individual Training (AIT). The AIT or job training may last for 16 to 68 weeks, depending what additional skill training is completed. Training includes a combination of lecture, hands-on, and practical field exercises with many skills—including starting intravenous lines—practiced on each other. The first part of the course focuses on CPR and EMT-Basic training and concludes with certification tests for both skills. Further training is on Army specific tasks.
                        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; January 10th, 2013, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Agreed. It is 17 weeks long, and deployments have nothing to do with your MOS individually. Strange bit of advice from your recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                            Agreed. It is 17 weeks long, and deployments have nothing to do with your MOS individually. Strange bit of advice from your recruiter.
                            I live in Ohio. He told me that if I take a job in columbus then I am likely to ship out as soon as I finish my training. He told me other MOS with other units may not have the same liklehood of deploying. I am actually not worried about deployment. I would not have even thought about joining if I was. I believe that yes, I may be away from my family and my children for an amount of time but the honor and duty that I show my children will pay off in the long run. My recruiter also is telling me that my post secondary education will not promote me at all. even though the school IS accredited and I have over 65 credit hours. I am graduating with my LPN in 7 weeks and he still says I will enlist as an E-1. not sure why. when I graduate I will have well over 100 credits. He seems like he is rushing me to enlist and I am not sure about this either. Thanks for the advice everyone. It has helped TREMENDOUSLY!!

Comment

I would seek to enlist with the highest rank you are eligible for. And then seek promotion opportunities before shipping. It's extra money.

Comment

Working...
                              X