X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single mother wanting to join texas national guard

I'm 19, and I have a beautiful son. He's a little over 15 months old he is my world. We currently live on our own and I have a good job to support him. I am a single mother and his father is not in the picture at all. I've known I want to go to school to be a paramedic but now I'm considering being a medic in the NG. I think this would be an awesome opportunity for us and our life. I do have questions before I see a recruiter that I hope you all can help me with. I know during basic I would not be able to bring him with. But when I am done with that, do I live on base or have that option to do just that with my son? I strongly believe this would give us a great life and I WANT to do this. But where my son would reside while I'm full active duty NG just scares me because I want him with me. Can you give me more information on this please. Thank you for all the help before hand!

Re: Single mother wanting to join texas national guard

Originally posted by M_williams View Post
    I'm 19, and I have a beautiful son. He's a little over 15 months old he is my world. We currently live on our own and I have a good job to support him. I am a single mother and his father is not in the picture at all. I've known I want to go to school to be a paramedic but now I'm considering being a medic in the NG. I think this would be an awesome opportunity for us and our life. I do have questions before I see a recruiter that I hope you all can help me with. I know during basic I would not be able to bring him with. But when I am done with that, do I live on base or have that option to do just that with my son? I strongly believe this would give us a great life and I WANT to do this. But where my son would reside while I'm full active duty NG just scares me because I want him with me. Can you give me more information on this please. Thank you for all the help before hand!

I just want to add, I'm in physical condition. I do have a lot of family and godparents for My son to take care of him while I am absent. So that's not a problem and I'm willing to commit beyond what is asked to do this. I believe it would be a great life. For me AND my son.

Comment

Your full-time duty initially will be BCT & then AIT. The duration will depend on your specific MOS. After that it's typically one weekend drill per month & a two week stint during the summer.

By no means is ARNG a full-time gig.

Others will chime in to provide additional information & correct me if I am inaccurate.

Comment

I'm surprised this was not addressed quicker Miss Willams, but being a single parent disqualifies you from enlistment.

Comment

More specifically, if you are without a spouse and you have a dependent under the age of 18 you are ineligible and waivers are not considered. There have been past threads on this forum that have had parents in this situation consider giving up parental rights and responsibilities to a family member in order to enlist....I highly discourage this type of thinking or action. As much of a good opportunity the Guard or military in general can be, it is not even close to worth such extreme measures.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
            More specifically, if you are without a spouse and you have a dependent under the age of 18 you are ineligible and waivers are not considered. There have been past threads on this forum that have had parents in this situation consider giving up parental rights and responsibilities to a family member in order to enlist....I highly discourage this type of thinking or action. As much of a good opportunity the Guard or military in general can be, it is not even close to worth such extreme measures.
            This is only an automatic DQ for regular army. Reserve components can waiver this type of dependacy requirement.

b. An applicant does not meet dependency requirements if—
            (5) The applicant is without a spouse and has custody of at least one dependent under the age of 18. (Waiver will
            not be considered for RA.) See paragraph 2–10b(8), below, for RC.
            (8) The applicant is without a spouse and has three or more dependents under the age of 18 and is accessing into
            one of the RCs of the Army. (Recruiting Battalion Commander or equivalent member of the ARNG may consider a
            battalion level waiver to enlist.)

Comment

I'm surprised this was not addressed quicker Miss Willams, but being a single parent disqualifies you from enlistment.
              This is not true; (unless the Reg has changed) when I enlisted I was single parent. I had to complete a dependency waiver, to be appproved by my TAG and write a long, written statement regarding why I wanted to enlist and my 'plan' for my kids being cared for while I was gone, financial plan, etc.

I also had to delegate a non-military caregiver who would not only care for them when I was gone but would be willing to care for them if anything happened to me. (They would not allow me to delegate my now husband as he is also in the Army....ex: he could get deployed while I was gone, etc..) This was assigning temporary guardianship (to care for them while I was gone and "in the event of"...there was NO loss of custody or rights, nor did I stransfer my custody to anyone while I was gone. HOWEVER, that being said....

O.P: I had an extremely STRONG support system in place, I was 37, so my kids were in their teens and ample savings and 'a plan'...plus contigency plans. I would not recommend this for a 19 year old single mom, but that is my opinion; this would not be a 'good job' per se. At 19, I'm assuming you do not have a college degree so your income would be around $200 a month and unless you can honestly balanace that against the time you will be away from your children, I would look into another opportunity.

Just my opinion though.

Comment

Respectfully, The quote I've highlighted is NOT correct. Contact a recruiter in your zip code ASAP so you can start the paperwork to assign a caregiver to your child while you are away for training. You need to fill out a Family Care Plan, assign a power of attorny to someone that you TRUST with your child's life while you are away for training. You will need everything noterized. I do these type of single parent contracts all the time. No worries. Best to you and your child.

Comment

SSG_Conley, what if i share custody with my ex would that be the same as a single parent even though my kids live with my ex?

Comment

Originally posted by magg1 View Post
                    SSG_Conley, what if i share custody with my ex would that be the same as a single parent even though my kids live with my ex?
                    Please post responses in the new thread that was made: http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...need-some-help

Comment

My apologies.

Comment

M_williams,

Go talk to a recruiter. You can join as a single mother. You will not be able to take your son to basic training or to AIT (school to learn your job), but if you have someone you trust to watch him while you are gone it will be a wise decision for both of you! I have enlisted many single parents into the guard.

Comment

Working...
                        X