X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few questions about The Guard MP

hey all, i am new here with a few questions about the guard MP. Im 21 years old, Iv been working full time since i was 17. Never went to college. I live in New York, iv always wanted to become involved with the law enforcement as a police officer. NYD requires at least 60 credits from a college.

One friend I know joined the Guard about a year ago and is actually going into the NYPD academy very soon. I have a few questions.

If i am looking to be a part of the NYPD is going into the Guard MP a good idea? or am i joining for the wrong reasons. I have been looking for info on this topic for a while now but could not find any.

also, How long is the service time for a Guard MP? 2 years?

Do they get deployed overseas? I know my friend who is in the Guard MP works at the base located in queens.

thanks in advanced!

Re: Few questions about The Guard MP

Originally posted by Kenny1910 View Post
    If i am looking to be a part of the NYPD is going into the Guard MP a good idea? or am i joining for the wrong reasons. I have been looking for info on this topic for a while now but could not find any.

College would probably look better. Being an MP has little to do with law enforcement. Most of that function has been given to DA/DOD Police.

Probably 6 years, especially for any education benefits, but ask a recruiter.

Do they get deployed overseas? I know my friend who is in the Guard MP works at the base located in queens.

Yes they get deployed overseas and they can be mobilized to backfill active duty units or augment a post's security force.

thanks in advanced!
    Join because you want to, not because you think it will give you a leg up in getting a job.

Comment

MP slots in NY are few and far between. Many Police Departments will give hiring preference to veterans, some frown on hiring MP's because our training is so different and would require them to "retrain" the individual.

You can enlist for either three or six years. Six year enlistments offer better college benefits and possibly student loan repayments.

Comment

Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
        MP slots in NY are few and far between. Many Police Departments will give hiring preference to veterans, some frown on hiring MP's because our training is so different and would require them to "retrain" the individual.

You can enlist for either three or six years. Six year enlistments offer better college benefits and possibly student loan repayments.
        Seeing that your name is NYguard do you recommend the guard MP for people like myself looking to seek roles in law enforcement beyond the guard?

Comment

Seeing that your name is NYguard do you recommend the guard MP for people like myself looking to seek roles in law enforcement beyond the guard?
          LE agencies look highly upon all honorable military service. Very few, if any agencies are going to place you as a higher candidate as a MP than they would as an Army Cook, who both served honorably. The best thing to do is make yourself a very well rounded candidate, with a solid plan B so you can get a job if LE doesn't work out. The competion for those jobs right now, especially in the North East is very fierce.

Comment

hey all, i am new here with a few questions about the guard MP. Im 21 years old, Iv been working full time since i was 17. Never went to college. I live in New York, iv always wanted to become involved with the law enforcement as a police officer. NYD requires at least 60 credits from a college.

One friend I know joined the Guard about a year ago and is actually going into the NYPD academy very soon. I have a few questions.

thanks in advanced!
            I applied to the NYPD a few years ago. It was during the transition period when I left the PharmD program and majored in Computer Science instead. Those who applied and tested with me are still waiting. It seems to be a 4+ year wait - a lot happens during that time.

If you're heart is set on it then that's fine, but you need to prepare yourself in case you change your mind.

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
            LE agencies look highly upon all honorable military service. Very few, if any agencies are going to place you as a higher candidate as a MP than they would as an Army Cook, who both served honorably. The best thing to do is make yourself a very well rounded candidate, with a solid plan B so you can get a job if LE doesn't work out. The competion for those jobs right now, especially in the North East is very fierce.
            +1. Pick something that you think you would enjoy in the military and do your best at that job. Learn all that you can learn and stay out of trouble.

Comment

If you're in the city, I would contact a local Recruiter and find out what MOS's are available and how far you're willing to travel. Last I checked, there wasn't much available in NYC.

Comment

NYPD doesn't care about what MOS you had, as long as you have a honorable discharge.
                You won't get in any faster, it's a civil service based employment.

Only MOSs that might give you a leg up once you're in would be something along the lines of a farsi translator, 18 series, possibly EOD...other then that cook/mp/supply/fueler/57e/inf = all the same.

Comment

My recruiter told me MP and normal police officers are different. She said it is like training a dog to fetch a bone one way and then trying to teach it another way. The two train differently and the NYPD may struggle training you to a civilian police officer when you have MP exp.

Comment

Working...
                  X