Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little situation..

Hello,

My name is Marcus. I'm 23 and currently pursing a career in the Guard. My dilemma is simple although it may have been discussed several times I'd like to share it here. (Please remember, I'm not a surgeon or doctor).

When I was about 13 I had open heart surgery. My father tells me that the procedure had to be done because I had too many veins on one side of my heart. They simply moved a vein to the other side of my heart (as I said I'm not a surgeon) from what I was told. I've never had any type of complications since then. I've been able to run, play sports, shoot, box and go biking. Thing is, once I've mentioned this to my recruiter, he said I basically had no chance and would not give me the time of day. According to my father it was not a heart condition, but something did need to be fixed. Has anyone heard of this type of procedure before? I'm currently waiting for my medical documents but in the mean time I'm looking for answers. A few other questions I have are:

How long would it take for a waiver to get approved?
    Should I go to MEPS anyway to take the ASVAB and get an assessment with my documents?
    Does a certain type of waiver limit my duties to only specific MOS' if approved?

I'm determined to enlist as 35 Fox Intelligence Analyst in the Nevada NG. I've been studying hard for the ASVAB and tightening up my PT for basic. It sucks to get denied after all of this. If something else popped off tomorrow I would gladly serve beside my soldiers of this great Army. Any answers/advice is appreciated. Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by mjhogan; January 6th, 2013, 06:48 AM.

Re: A little situation..

Only a recruiter or someone who has gone through this can give you answers, unfortunately I am neither. I would say just keep trying everything you can to enlist. If your recruiter won't push your paperwork through, find another recruiter.

35F is a GREAT MOS, if you do join and get 35F have fun. I love being a 35F, best job in the military if you ask me..

Comment

Originally posted by Lee, S. View Post
      Only a recruiter or someone who has gone through this can give you answers, unfortunately I am neither. I would say just keep trying everything you can to enlist. If your recruiter won't push your paperwork through, find another recruiter.

35F is a GREAT MOS, if you do join and get 35F have fun. I love being a 35F, best job in the military if you ask me..
      Thank you for the reply and yes I will continue to enlist. I'm going to talk to another recruiter on Monday to see if he will atleast work with me. If not, there are plenty of other recruiters to go.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhogan View Post
        Thank you for the reply and yes I will continue to enlist. I'm going to talk to another recruiter on Monday to see if he will atleast work with me. If not, there are plenty of other recruiters to go.
        Well, no one's surprised. Heart Surgery is a huge one, and they really want to know every single little thing about you. I'm pretty sure on site sign up they ask you did you wet the bed past age 12. I hope you find someone willing to work with you though.

I hope I get 35F too, it's the only open intel in my state.
        Last edited by Xalyx; January 6th, 2013, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Hello,

My name is Marcus. I'm 23 and currently pursing a career in the Guard. My dilemma is simple although it may have been discussed several times I'd like to share it here. (Please remember, I'm not a surgeon or doctor).

When I was about 13 I had open heart surgery. My father tells me that the procedure had to be done because I had too many veins on one side of my heart. They simply moved a vein to the other side of my heart (as I said I'm not a surgeon) from what I was told. I've never had any type of complications since then. I've been able to run, play sports, shoot, box and go biking. Thing is, once I've mentioned this to my recruiter, he said I basically had no chance and would not give me the time of day. According to my father it was not a heart condition, but something did need to be fixed. Has anyone heard of this type of procedure before? I'm currently waiting for my medical documents but in the mean time I'm looking for answers. A few other questions I have are:

How long would it take for a waiver to get approved?
          Should I go to MEPS anyway to take the ASVAB and get an assessment with my documents?
          Does a certain type of waiver limit my duties to only specific MOS' if approved?

I'm determined to enlist as 35 Fox Intelligence Analyst in the Nevada NG. I've been studying hard for the ASVAB and tightening up my PT for basic. It sucks to get denied after all of this. If something else popped off tomorrow I would gladly serve beside my soldiers of this great Army. Any answers/advice is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Hmmm...it would be easier to see where your condition falls under the Medical Regulation if I knew the medical terminology for your procedure. I'm not familiar with what moving a "vein" (versus an artery) procedure is. Based on your post, it sounds like you have a good chance to get a waiver (if you even need one) since you currently have no problems with physical activities or symptoms. There's no time frame on waivers, unfortunately, so there's not much I can tell you other than be prepared for a possible wait. Your recruiter will be your best resource on this.

If you'd like to do some research on your own, I would recommend checking out DoDi 6130.03 and AR 40-501; both cover the Medical Standards for Enlistment. I believe you can Google them and download them yourself.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
            Hmmm...it would be easier to see where your condition falls under the Medical Regulation if I knew the medical terminology for your procedure. I'm not familiar with what moving a "vein" (versus an artery) procedure is. Based on your post, it sounds like you have a good chance to get a waiver (if you even need one) since you currently have no problems with physical activities or symptoms. There's no time frame on waivers, unfortunately, so there's not much I can tell you other than be prepared for a possible wait. Your recruiter will be your best resource on this.

If you'd like to do some research on your own, I would recommend checking out DoDi 6130.03 and AR 40-501; both cover the Medical Standards for Enlistment. I believe you can Google them and download them yourself.

Good luck!
            Turns out I found out what the surgery was. 'Partial anomalous venous return repair'. Hopefully I can attempt at a waiver for this.

Comment

Turns out I found out what the surgery was. 'Partial anomalous venous return repair'. Hopefully I can attempt at a waiver for this.
              Good luck! Keep us posted on how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                Good luck! Keep us posted on how it goes.

Well I've taken my documents to my recruiter. He looked at the documents and opened up AR 40-501. Even though he could not find the surgery listed as even disqualifying (which I'm sure open heart surgery is), he still refused to help me. I've questioned him about sending the surgery documents to MEPS, he's returned my questions by saying 'The military wont waiver you, you're too much of a liability'.

He also refused to let me fill out a medical form to submit my case to a MEPS facility. I thought it was not the responsibility of the recruiter to determine if a condition or surgery is waiver-able or not? I feel as if I'm being cheated here by recruiters.

Comment

Well I've taken my documents to my recruiter. He looked at the documents and opened up AR 40-501. Even though he could not find the surgery listed as even disqualifying (which I'm sure open heart surgery is), he still refused to help me. I've questioned him about sending the surgery documents to MEPS, he's returned my questions by saying 'The military wont waiver you, you're too much of a liability'.

He also refused to let me fill out a medical form to submit my case to a MEPS facility. I thought it was not the responsibility of the recruiter to determine if a condition or surgery is waiver-able or not? I feel as if I'm being cheated here by recruiters.
                  I didn't find anything in AR 40-501 either. I think you are wise to question your recruiter on his assessment because he certainty is not a doctor and, by the sounds of it, is not familiar with the medical procedure. What I would suggest is to get a letter from your civilian doctor giving a detailed description of your diagnosis and prognosis. Make sure they are specific about what you can do physically and if there will be any complications/limitations in the future. This will help you inform your recruiter of your situation. Ultimately, it is MEPS that will decide if you are too much of a liability. You just need to convince a recruiter to give you a chance to get medically evaluated. Don't hesitate to talk to several recruiters!

Comment

Anomalous pulmonary venous return, even when repaired, falls under 2.18.h ("Current or history of congenital anomalies of heart and great vessels (746), except for corrected patent ductus
                    arteriosus, do not meet the standard." Your condition, even when corrected by surgery in youth, is disqualifying. PAPVR or TAPVR (referring to partial or total) are most definitely considered congenital anomalies of the heart (and great vessels).

Sorry it isn't better news.

Comment

Originally posted by notyetdead View Post
                      Anomalous pulmonary venous return, even when repaired, falls under 2.18.h ("Current or history of congenital anomalies of heart and great vessels (746), except for corrected patent ductus
                      arteriosus, do not meet the standard." Your condition, even when corrected by surgery in youth, is disqualifying. PAPVR or TAPVR (referring to partial or total) are most definitely considered congenital anomalies of the heart (and great vessels).

Sorry it isn't better news.
                      Yes. I know it is disqualifying, but I would still like the chance to submit for a waiver for the disqualifying condition.

Comment

I want to be clear that Recruiters are not car salesmen. There seems to be this urban myth that "if one recruiter won't help me, I may be able to find one who will". In many states your ZIP CODE identifies who your recruiter of record is, which is relatively "non-negotiable" unless the RRNCOIC feels there is a conflict or issue. I empathize with your situation, but you are permenantly disqualified for military service. I promise you this is not waiverable. If I had seen this post earlier, I would have made this clearer to you sooner. Notyetdead provided you with the specific guidance from AR 40-501, but again, I can promise you...if you had your heart exposed at one point to room air...you are disqualified. A savvy Recruiter knows this, and is just making good time managment decisions. Again, I am sorry.

Comment

You had heart surgery as a youth. This is a no go. Even at the height of the war when the recruiting mission was absolutely desperate to get folks to join, this would almost certainly not have been waivered. At this point, with the Guard overstrength and likely to be for some time, you will definitely not get this waivered.

I'm sorry. There are many forms of service and you can be of great benefit to your country and community by becoming a teacher, firefighter, police officer, social worker, etc. If you really long for uniformed service, many states have State Defense Forces whose standards for joining are more lax. You will not get the financial benefits, but you will get the satisfaction of serving.

Comment

Originally posted by notyetdead View Post
                            You had heart surgery as a youth. This is a no go. Even at the height of the war when the recruiting mission was absolutely desperate to get folks to join, this would almost certainly not have been waivered. At this point, with the Guard overstrength and likely to be for some time, you will definitely not get this waivered.

I'm sorry. There are many forms of service and you can be of great benefit to your country and community by becoming a teacher, firefighter, police officer, social worker, etc. If you really long for uniformed service, many states have State Defense Forces whose standards for joining are more lax. You will not get the financial benefits, but you will get the satisfaction of serving.
                            Not to knock the SDF, but if you want that type of satisfaction, you might as well serve as a big brother or boy scout leader. SDF is so low-tiered, personally, I find it a waste of time. I know many people who could not get in the Army Guard who went that route and flaunt ID cards as Lieutenants which to me; does not carry any clout whatsoever. It is like a person who gets a job as a security guard because the police department would never hire them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                              I want to be clear that Recruiters are not car salesmen. There seems to be this urban myth that "if one recruiter won't help me, I may be able to find one who will". In many states your ZIP CODE identifies who your recruiter of record is, which is relatively "non-negotiable" unless the RRNCOIC feels there is a conflict or issue. I empathize with your situation, but you are permenantly disqualified for military service. I promise you this is not waiverable. If I had seen this post earlier, I would have made this clearer to you sooner. Notyetdead provided you with the specific guidance from AR 40-501, but again, I can promise you...if you had your heart exposed at one point to room air...you are disqualified. A savvy Recruiter knows this, and is just making good time managment decisions. Again, I am sorry.
                              I wish I had the FB like button for this post.

Comment

Working...
                              X