X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEP? Delayed Enlistment Program?

I was wondering if there is a DEP for the National Guard.

I was wondering if there is a DEP, then do they have it for anyone or is this just something special for kids who are in highschool?

Here is my situation. I'm 34 and about to turn 35 this month. I was thinking about the National Guard but I know my current weight does not meet the guard standards. I know right now I can not also pass the PT to get in. I wanted to do a DEP and sign in at 34 to meet the age requirement and then be locked in and have a year to get in full shape. I already started off by doing one mile but still can't reach two miles in the time requirement.

If anybody knows for sure if there is DEP, please let me know.

Thank you all for your help,

Kit

Re: DEP? Delayed Enlistment Program?

Originally posted by kit_smith View Post
    I was wondering if there is a DEP for the National Guard.

I was wondering if there is a DEP, then do they have it for anyone or is this just something special for kids who are in highschool?

Here is my situation. I'm 34 and about to turn 35 this month. I was thinking about the National Guard but I know my current weight does not meet the guard standards. I know right now I can not also pass the PT to get in. I wanted to do a DEP and sign in at 34 to meet the age requirement and then be locked in and have a year to get in full shape. I already started off by doing one mile but still can't reach two miles in the time requirement.

If anybody knows for sure if there is DEP, please let me know.

Thank you all for your help,

Kit
    Technically the Reserves and the National Guard do not have a Delayed Enlistment Program. The very second you take the oath, and sign the enlistment contract, you are in the Reserves or Guard, you are assigned to a specific manpower slot in a specific unit, and you are entitled to receive pay for weekend drills (in the active duty DEP, there is no entitlement to pay), even if you have not been to basic training, and/or job-training school. Once enlisted you start the recruit sustainment program - "Before you ship to Basic Combat Training (BCT), you'll attend the Recruit Sustainment Program (RSP). These weekends will be your introduction to BCT and will get you started and keep you on track, mentally, physically and emotionally while you prepare for your career in the Guard. RSP drills give you an opportunity to start getting comfortable with the terminology and protocols that are part of Guard service—and you'll be getting paid for the time you spend at RSP." http://www.nationalguard.com/careers...nt-program-rsp but you can't enlist until you can pass height/weight or body fat % during your physical at MEPS.
    Last edited by robinpugs06; January 4th, 2013, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
      Technically the Reserves and the National Guard do not have a Delayed Enlistment Program. The very second you take the oath, and sign the enlistment contract, you are in the Reserves or Guard, you are assigned to a specific manpower slot in a specific unit, and you are entitled to receive pay for weekend drills (in the active duty DEP, there is no entitlement to pay), even if you have not been to basic training, and/or job-training school. Once enlisted you start the recruit sustainment program - "Before you ship to Basic Combat Training (BCT), you'll attend the Recruit Sustainment Program (RSP). These weekends will be your introduction to BCT and will get you started and keep you on track, mentally, physically and emotionally while you prepare for your career in the Guard. RSP drills give you an opportunity to start getting comfortable with the terminology and protocols that are part of Guard service—and you'll be getting paid for the time you spend at RSP." http://www.nationalguard.com/careers...nt-program-rsp but you can't enlist until you can pass height/weight or body fat % during your physical at MEPS.
      Okay, So if I do go sign up before I turn 35 they will stick me in the RSP till I can make all those Height/weight /bodyfat%, and 2 min PT stuff? I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly.

Comment

No, you CAN NOT enlist and start RSP until you can pass MEPS which is where you have your physical and you can't pass until you are within height/weight or body fat % standards.

Comment

Ah, okay.

Thank you for your time and help robinpugs.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
            No, you CAN NOT enlist and start RSP until you can pass MEPS which is where you have your physical and you can't pass until you are within height/weight or body fat % standards.

Would you also happen to know if this rule is also true with a regular enlistment to the army?.

Comment

Originally posted by kit_smith View Post
              Would you also happen to know if this rule is also true with a regular enlistment to the army?.
              Yes, it is a requirement that must be met before you can enlist for all branches of service. You must meet their height and weight standards.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                Yes, it is a requirement that must be met before you can enlist for all branches of service. You must meet their height and weight standards.
                Navy and Navy Reserves used to allow you to enlist if you were a certain % over your body fat but they were starting to phase that and it may be completely gone now.
                Air National Guard age requirement is 40.

Comment

Working...
                X