Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: awol

Originally posted by WIBecky74 View Post
    Your unit has likely been trained to start an 'awol packet' either after the first or second missed drill weekend. If it is AT, then after the first couple of days. Within this packet has to be where they tried to contact you. Documentation of every pone call, email, personal visit, and snail mail with you. Counseling statements to you. After (with us anyways) nine 'AWOLS' (one day of drill is two marks against you, a two day drill would be four...so nine add up fast, 2.5 drill weekends and you meet that requirement. then some other forms are drafted up (Commanders report and a few others) along with this other documentation, the right people in the unit/BN/BDE sign off on them and it gets sent up to JAG for final review. All 'AWOL' dates have to be within a 12 month period or the dates are invalid and packet starts over. They try to get contact with you to sign off on some things but with or without it they eventually discharge you. Future employers of yours have the right to know you basically walked away from your obligation and can refuse to hire you because of it. It is hard, I do understand, but it is in your best interest to speak to your chain of command. Its not a fun phone call to make but do it. And you can have contact with them and still get out...you dont have to disappear off the map to get out if that is your goal. Other options that your Chain can and will go over with you are really better choices than this route.

If you recently finished your initial training...it really does get better. Once you have been around a unit for a little bit of time, its nothing like that initial training and even alot of people that just couldnt stand the initial stuff eventually end up enjoying the Guard. Give it some time.
    It would be awesome if seasoned members would stop calling this AWOL. It has been covered numerous times, that this is not considered AWOL.

Comment

SSG, OP called it as such...I used " " keeping you in mind. No you cant be tossed in jail although they can put you on orders for a certain number of days once skipping out and then try it.... I dont think the OP was thinking of it in the AD sense because you can easily google that and get an answer. He was asking about it in a Guard status, I dont spend my time on the boards correcting terminology of others, I just try to give some relavant answers and using the words in parathesis was doing just that I felt. Thank you.

Comment

Did you call you're NCO? There are a lot of resources at your disposal and a lot of people who are willing to help you. The Guard/Army isn't some monster that wants to dominate you. We are a family, and Guard members will do all they can to help you. You need to call your unit asap and explain, and they may want you to come in and/or do extra duty. Usually making up a drill is working in the office lol. If you keep missing drill's they will just start a packet to chapter you out because they don't want a person who doesn't hold their end of the bargain. The Army has so many benefits it's unbelieble and all they ask is for a few years of you're time. If you get chaptered out you will lose most if not all of those benefits and employer's will see that you got kicked out. It will follow you the rest of your life and you will regret it.

Comment

I left the guard after 2 tours in afghan and Iraq . I just stopped going to drill. Thanks to the title 32 status I got 9 unexscused absences and was discharged general under honorable and kept my rank. It was the best decision I ever made other than when I joined and served my country. Advice to people thinking of doing the same, be sure to turn in all your gear first and have the right reasons in mind. After I stopped waisting my time with drill and military schools I found a job and my whole life took a turn for the better. I would never have done it while on active title 10 status because the war needs people that will serve not go AWOL but being a vet I was happy to leave the guard the way I did.

Comment

There is no AWOL in the guard its unexcused absence, after all there is no leave in the guard either. Think about it when do guard soldiers get leave? Answer while on active duty, so what is an AWOL packet in the title 32 guard?

Comment

If you think that ceasing to continue a contractual military obligation is a good course of action because the consequences aren't so severe is foolish. And ironically, many that did the same, want to return the service but now face prejudice that is warranted. Nobody should follow your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Warpig View Post
                I left the guard after 2 tours in afghan and Iraq . I just stopped going to drill. Thanks to the title 32 status I got 9 unexscused absences and was discharged general under honorable and kept my rank. It was the best decision I ever made other than when I joined and served my country. Advice to people thinking of doing the same, be sure to turn in all your gear first and have the right reasons in mind. After I stopped waisting my time with drill and military schools I found a job and my whole life took a turn for the better. I would never have done it while on active title 10 status because the war needs people that will serve not go AWOL but being a vet I was happy to leave the guard the way I did.
                This is not a very good approach. You can be separated with an other than honorable, and some states will do it...and than you lose everything before you are out the dorr.

Comment

Please approve my post. I wrote what he posted was bad advice.

Comment

Working...
                  X