X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• awol

what would happen if i go awol from the guard?

Re: awol

You are an adult so I suggest you don't.

Comment

thats not what i asked..i asked what would happen?

Comment

And I gave you an answer to your question. Why would you ask this question if it has not already happened? To ask what are the consequences for a misconduct act is preposterous if the purpose is to know the consequences of your intent. If that is not the case (since you did not response about it); provide more info to your query.

AWOL only applies if you are on active duty not drill status.
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; January 2nd, 2013, 11:25 PM.

Comment

ive had some mental,medical and personal issues and i would like to know what would happen to me if i went awol

Comment

Provide more info. What is your status? You can receive future prejudice if you discharged for it.

Comment

most of the stuff is prior to enlistment.except for my wife leaving me,im not sure what my current status is..i have to call my nco tomorrow to figure that out

Comment

When I asked status is if you are active duty now, RSP, or M-day (drilling) Soldier.

Comment

ive completed ait and basic

Comment

Call your NCO and talk to him ASAP. Tell him about your problems.

Comment

i am tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Clark View Post
                        ive completed ait and basic
                        So, let me see if I can clarify this thread a bit more. You are Enlisted, have completed your initial training, and so the assumption is that you are on drilling status. You missed some sort of training because of personal problems that originated prior to enlistment (I'm confused about this), and now want to know what will happen if you are "AWOL"?

Please clarify whatever is not correct. Also, there have been plenty of threads addressing AWOL's here on the forum, so I would recommend reading up on them before this whole issue becomes a debate on semantics as commonly happens with this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                          Also, there have been plenty of threads addressing AWOL's here on the forum, so I would recommend reading up on them
                          I would also recommend reading the numerous threads from people who have abandoned their obligations, only to regret it a few years later. Almost every day we get new threads about someone who exited the military in an ungraceful manner because of some personal issues, and is now going through tremendous machinations to try to undo their mistake.

In today's economy, do you really want to throw away a second source of income, benefits, insurance, and educational assistance? Do you really want to jeopardize future employment with the government and government contractors? I don't know your personal issues, and I don't mean to imply that they aren't serious or significant, my concern is that you not make a short-term step that worsens those problems over the long-term.

Comment

you would have more mental,medical and personal issues to deal with then.

Comment

Your unit has likely been trained to start an 'awol packet' either after the first or second missed drill weekend. If it is AT, then after the first couple of days. Within this packet has to be where they tried to contact you. Documentation of every pone call, email, personal visit, and snail mail with you. Counseling statements to you. After (with us anyways) nine 'AWOLS' (one day of drill is two marks against you, a two day drill would be four...so nine add up fast, 2.5 drill weekends and you meet that requirement. then some other forms are drafted up (Commanders report and a few others) along with this other documentation, the right people in the unit/BN/BDE sign off on them and it gets sent up to JAG for final review. All 'AWOL' dates have to be within a 12 month period or the dates are invalid and packet starts over. They try to get contact with you to sign off on some things but with or without it they eventually discharge you. Future employers of yours have the right to know you basically walked away from your obligation and can refuse to hire you because of it. It is hard, I do understand, but it is in your best interest to speak to your chain of command. Its not a fun phone call to make but do it. And you can have contact with them and still get out...you dont have to disappear off the map to get out if that is your goal. Other options that your Chain can and will go over with you are really better choices than this route.

If you recently finished your initial training...it really does get better. Once you have been around a unit for a little bit of time, its nothing like that initial training and even alot of people that just couldnt stand the initial stuff eventually end up enjoying the Guard. Give it some time.

Also, if you have already missed a bunch they can decide to get rid of the paper trail and keep you. If you show them you want it, and explain to them how you are going to make these changes....they can decide to keep you. I would also suggest asking to talk to someone to help this feeling of not being able to handle being in the Guard and your personal life. There are ALL sorts of people that can help. It doesnt make you a bad person, you just need a way to handle your stress differently.
                              Last edited by WIBecky74; January 5th, 2013, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X