X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 year old female joining the national guard

I never really thought about joining the military, but my father always said that I was going to join and follow in his foot steps. Turns out he was right. For about a year now i've had an interest in the military and decided I wanted to join. I've talked with my dad and decided I was going to join the National Guard and go to basic training this summer(the summer before my senior year) and then do AIT after my senior year. I am pretty excited about this summer and am running, doing pushups, and crunches. Any other work out tips? Also any mental tips? That's the main part i'm a little nervous about. Do a lot of people, especially females, join this young? I feel like i'm still a baby, but I want to do this and I know I can! Any funny/whatnottodo stories from your time in basic?

Re: 17 year old female joining the national guard

I had a lot of young females in my BCT and they made it just fine. In fact quite a few were really squared away soldiers. I would advise you to start running at least every other day, and working on push ups and sit-ups. Have your father and NCO's at RSP teach you proper form. If you don't run now start out easy, like doing a mile a day, then slowly build up. At least twice during the week do 30/60's which is 30 seconds of sprinting then a minute of walking or jogging; those are best for 2 mile times. After awhile work up to 60/120's or my custom 60/60's . Do a distance run as well at least once a week to get your legs and knee's ready. Make sure you stretch real good before and after each run to minimize injury. Some will say don't buy good running shoes before BCT but that's dumb; buy some good running shoes because you will need them before, and my DS's let us use our civi running shoes because it make's no sense to use running shoes that hurt you. Your feet will be assessed at reception and they will tell you which shoe to buy but that doesn't always mean they will fit perfectly. Basically with the Push up start in the front leaning rest position with your knees straight, and looking foward, then lower yourself till your arms form a rough 90 degree angle, then rise while still looking foward. Looking forward is the best tip because it usually keeps you in good and acceptable form throughout the pushup. With sit ups, have somebody hold your feet and interlock your fingers behind your head, and using only your stomach muscles i.e. no arm's, pull yourself up and let yourself fall back onto the mat. You will have a diagnostic PT test at RSP more than likely, and if you pass which is easy if you stay on a PT schedule you will be promoted to E2. BCT affects different people in different ways, for some like me it was no sweat, and to other's it was 9 weeks of mental hell. Some people just can't cope with the fact that they CAN'T see their family or contact them and think hey mad a bad decision. In fact I bet that when you get to reception you will be wondering what the hell did I get myself into, and that is normal. BCT will fly by if you let it! BCT is all mental and if you stay mentally strong you will do fine. Recognize that their goal is to break you down and build you back up as a soldier. Drink lot's of water before RSP and during IET because proper hydration can make or break you. Have your family send you lot's of letter's because mail call will be like Christmas; just no candy or junk food lol. Just remember that your unit will be nothing like TRADOC and that this is necessary to becoming a soldier, and every soldier before you has done it!

Comment

Re: 17 year old female joining the national guard

Originally posted by cara View Post
      I never really thought about joining the military, but my father always said that I was going to join and follow in his foot steps. Turns out he was right. For about a year now i've had an interest in the military and decided I wanted to join. I've talked with my dad and decided I was going to join the National Guard and go to basic training this summer(the summer before my senior year) and then do AIT after my senior year. I am pretty excited about this summer and am running, doing pushups, and crunches. Any other work out tips? Also any mental tips? That's the main part i'm a little nervous about. Do a lot of people, especially females, join this young? I feel like i'm still a baby, but I want to do this and I know I can! Any funny/whatnottodo stories from your time in basic?
      Have either your father or your recruiter administer the APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test) to see where you stand. If you're able to pass it you're in pretty good shape for BCT. I remember almost everyone failing the initial APFT when I went through. I personally scored a 64 (yes, a two-digit score on a test that's out of 300 points) but by the end I was in the 220-230 range.

As for the mental aspect, just try to wrap your head around the significance of the commitment you are making. I see a lot of soldiers who take themselves more seriously than they take the Army. It seems like your head is in the right place so I'll say no more about that.

I was 18 when I went through, and there were a lot of other 18-year-olds in my class. 17-year-olds are less common because they require parental consent and by the time most people have graduated from high school, enlisted, and shipped they've reached 18 years of age (split option training is chosen by a small subset of NG soldiers, who constitute a subset of trainees). You will be fine.

Look at it this way. When your peers ask you what you did last summer you won't have to relate a bunch of boring stories about your summer job and trips to the beach. You'll have accomplished something which most of them probably could do, but will not do. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
      X