X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research for book...

I am writing a book for teens where a young man joins the NG in Oklahoma and is deployed to Afghanistan. I made this choice after speaking with several local recruiters. I have him enlisted as a MOS 11B which I understand is an infantryman. I was told this is the most likely placement for most beginning soldiers. I need information on the day to day events of a MOS 11B in Afghanistan. Are they stationed at Bagram Air Base? What types of patrols do they go on? How many would typically be in a unit? What types of weapons and vehicles do they use? What are the rank and titles of the people in a unit?

I would greatly appreciate any help you could provide with this. I want the book to be realistic. I am a middle school librarian and have a lot of young men who are interested in the military. There are not a lot of realistic fiction books that are written from the soldier's perspective and I am hoping to change that. Thank you again in advance for any help or resources you can provide.

With gratitude,

Kelli

Re: Research for book...

Originally posted by chefseuss View Post
    I am writing a book for teens where a young man joins the NG in Oklahoma and is deployed to Afghanistan. I made this choice after speaking with several local recruiters. I have him enlisted as a MOS 11B which I understand is an infantryman. I was told this is the most likely placement for most beginning soldiers. I need information on the day to day events of a MOS 11B in Afghanistan. Are they stationed at Bagram Air Base? What types of patrols do they go on? How many would typically be in a unit? What types of weapons and vehicles do they use? What are the rank and titles of the people in a unit?

I would greatly appreciate any help you could provide with this. I want the book to be realistic. I am a middle school librarian and have a lot of young men who are interested in the military. There are not a lot of realistic fiction books that are written from the soldier's perspective and I am hoping to change that. Thank you again in advance for any help or resources you can provide.

With gratitude,

Kelli
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmePzcsegk4

Comment

Based on the trailer I saw and the reviews I read Stop-Loss seems to be a movie about a disgruntled soldier. Do you feel this movie is a realistic representation of deployment in Afghanistan and the daily life of the majority of soldiers? Thanks for your help and input.

Comment

Many of these contemporary movies revolve around extreme versions of a common issue. I would recommend looking at that movie for background, not necessarily for specifics. It also captures a good deal of the mood of ambivalence of our Soldiers, inasmuch as they largely didn't want to deploy, but once ordered it was very hard to stop them.

I also recommend the otherwise silly movie "Renaissance Man," with Danny Devito. Again, just look at the interactions in the background, not the specific plot line.

Comment

+1 LTC. That was my point. As the purpose of this forum is not to discuss of what the OP desires; there is an abundance of information in the web and in cinema that could be extracted to form a fictional tale of military service.

Comment

I have ordered both movies that were suggested. Thank you for your help and suggestions. I am still interested in information about the daily life of an infantryman in Afghanistan.

Comment

Originally posted by chefseuss View Post
              I have ordered both movies that were suggested. Thank you for your help and suggestions. I am still interested in information about the daily life of an infantryman in Afghanistan.
              I recommend "Restrepo". My cousin (Ex-Medic, Iraq Vet.) recommended to me when I wanted to see what real, raw combat was like. It's an actual documentary about the 101st Airborne which are mostly 11B's. And my Uncle who is an 11B with the 101st is in Afghanistan now and says it's even worse than it is in the film.

Comment

Found it on YouTube. Thanks for your suggestion. I appreciate that this is a documentary. I know that it will be the real world that I am looking for. I wish your Uncle a safe return home and I thank all of you for your service.

Comment

I think it is about the 173rd actually.

Comment

Working...
                  X