X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Involving MOS and Commissioning

A little background to help this question. I am joining the guard, and contracting with Mississippi State's ROTC by SMP option.

I am wondering if my mos in the guard (which will be either 35M or 11B) will matter whenever I commission active duty?

I understand I have to list 5 branches to comission into and I know my top 3 which are 1) Military Intel 2) Combat Infantry 3) Aviation.

Re: Question Involving MOS and Commissioning

Have you actually received that MOS yet or is that what you hope to get? Each state has X amount of slots and if there are no slots available you won't get that MOS in your state. For example my state has a lot of construction, truck drivers, and MP's with a little bit of infantry; there were no 11B slots when I joined which is what I wanted. You can pretty much pick anything you want to if you're doing SMP because once you contract with SMP, you will be doing ROTC work. You will be drilling with your unit as well but you are highly unlikely to deploy, and at the end of your 4 years you will commission into something new. I still advise you to pick an MOS that you like because you may change your mind about SMP; I did and I picked 88M because that was what was available at the time but luckily I love this MOS and the enlisted side.

Comment

My recruiter said he could get me either bc of my smp option. I was just wondering if my mos will matter whenever I commission.

Comment

Originally posted by SPeter View Post
        I was just wondering if my mos will matter whenever I commission.
        Short answer is no.

Comment

Not to step on anyone's toes but your recruiter will say a lot lol. That's just the way it is. Recognize that he has to make a quota and most will say a lot too get you to join. Not saying the guard Army or Guard isn't a wonderful thing, just saying you should know what you are doing before signing the dotted line. Also I recommend trying to get Airborne in your contract since coming out of IET you stand no reason to fail, and it's the best time to do it. ROTC also offers a lot of schools; that's the best perk IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by That_Guy View Post
            Not to step on anyone's toes but your recruiter will say a lot lol. That's just the way it is. Recognize that he has to make a quota and most will say a lot too get you to join. Not saying the guard Army or Guard isn't a wonderful thing, just saying you should know what you are doing before signing the dotted line. Also I recommend trying to get Airborne in your contract since coming out of IET you stand no reason to fail, and it's the best time to do it. ROTC also offers a lot of schools; that's the best perk IMO.
            Yeah. I'm gettin airborne no matter which mos I get. But if your mos won't matter whenever you commission I'm just gonna do 11B because that's the quickest osut and i won't miss any school.

Comment

Working...
            X