Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some random questions

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Some random questions

    Well I'm not going to lie, got into the guard to pay for school with the awesome GI Bill. So that means I really don't want to be deployed, only if it's to Japan or something but let's be honest that's slim. I'm looking at the middle east I know so yeah, don't want to be deployed. I'm in for 3 years as a 35f..

    1-So how often have you been deployed if at all and how long have you been in the guard?


    2-I was wondering if I could bring my laptop? I was going to have everything in my backpack and then a little carrying case for my laptop. Would they be ok with that do you know? For when I'm shipped to BT & MOS?

    3-Interaction with opposite sex. Do they frown upon that in BT & MOS?


    Thanks.

    -The Gentleman and Scholar
    Last edited by SteveLord; January 1st, 2013, 06:44 AM. Reason: Merged multiple threads/questions -Steve

  • #2
    Re: Some random questions

    Originally posted by Dooby View Post
    Well I'm not going to lie, got into the guard to pay for school with the awesome GI Bill. So that means I really don't want to be deployed, only if it's to Japan or something but let's be honest that's slim. I'm looking at the middle east I know so yeah, don't want to be deployed. I'm in for 3 years as a 35f..

    1-So how often have you been deployed if at all and how long have you been in the guard?


    2-I was wondering if I could bring my laptop? I was going to have everything in my backpack and then a little carrying case for my laptop. Would they be ok with that do you know? For when I'm shipped to BT & MOS?

    3-Interaction with opposite sex. Do they frown upon that in BT & MOS?


    Thanks.

    -The Gentleman and Scholar
    1. Since you're already in, I'll spare you the whole "be sure you know what you're getting into" speech and jump right into "you are a Soldier and it is your duty to be prepared for what ever the mission calls for". Will you be deployed? Likely. How often? There's no guarantee of if or when, so my best advice to you is to prepare as if it's a certainty so you won't be caught off guard.

    2. In general, the answer is yes. Honestly, though, be sure to check with your commander. The deployments I've been on, it's a non-issue, but some units/missions may require a more strict approach on the technology Soldiers are allowed to have. Again, I doubt it will be a problem, but always check first. Oh, and word of advice. Don't bring anything that you would be devastated if it were lost, broken, or stolen.

    3. Male and Female Soldiers are required to work together during training. It would be impossible not to interact with each other. However, fraternization is highly frowned upon during initial training. Does this mean it doesn't happen? Unfortunately, no. Beware, though, that there are consequences for this type of misconduct.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Some random questions

      Originally posted by RyCass View Post
      3. Male and Female Soldiers are required to work together during training. It would be impossible not to interact with each other. However, fraternization is highly frowned upon during initial training. Does this mean it doesn't happen? Unfortunately, no. Beware, though, that there are consequences for this type of misconduct.
      And just what exactly is your definition of fraternization? God only knows because it has nothing to do with his question. This is an irrelevant answer.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Some random questions

        Originally posted by RyCass View Post
        1. Since you're already in, I'll spare you the whole "be sure you know what you're getting into" speech and jump right into "you are a Soldier and it is your duty to be prepared for what ever the mission calls for". Will you be deployed? Likely. How often? There's no guarantee of if or when, so my best advice to you is to prepare as if it's a certainty so you won't be caught off guard.

        2. In general, the answer is yes. Honestly, though, be sure to check with your commander. The deployments I've been on, it's a non-issue, but some units/missions may require a more strict approach on the technology Soldiers are allowed to have. Again, I doubt it will be a problem, but always check first. Oh, and word of advice. Don't bring anything that you would be devastated if it were lost, broken, or stolen.

        3. Male and Female Soldiers are required to work together during training. It would be impossible not to interact with each other. However, fraternization is highly frowned upon during initial training. Does this mean it doesn't happen? Unfortunately, no. Beware, though, that there are consequences for this type of misconduct.
        1. That doesn't fully answer my question. I asked to state your length of service and the number of times you've been deployed.

        2. OK thanks.

        3. So no sex is what you're pretty much saying

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Some random questions

          Originally posted by Dooby View Post
          3. So no sex is what you're pretty much saying
          She pretty much doesn't know what she is saying here. Sex can never be illegal as a generic rule in the military. Don't let anyone tell you any different, because they are just mis informed. Whether or not it is a good idea, all things considered is open to debates.
          Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; January 1st, 2013, 03:28 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Some random questions

            Originally posted by Dooby View Post
            1-So how often have you been deployed if at all and how long have you been in the guard?

            In nearly 20 years, 12 of which has been in the NG/USAR, I've been mob'd three times. I've known who have deployed a lot more and also a lot less. A lot will depend on your unit and MOS. Expect at least mob during your enlistment.

            2-I was wondering if I could bring my laptop? I was going to have everything in my backpack and then a little carrying case for my laptop. Would they be ok with that do you know? For when I'm shipped to BT & MOS?

            While you may be able to bring to BCT, you probably won't be able to use it or have the time to use it. In AIT, it will depend on your cadre.

            3-Interaction with opposite sex. Do they frown upon that in BT & MOS?

            You already figured it out. Having a sexual relationship with someone in your unit usually never works out and usually leads to problems in the unit when it doesn't work out.
            Overall, your mileage may vary. Ask around at your next RSP what's allowed at BCT or what the current deployments are like in your state.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Some random questions

              Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
              Overall, your mileage may vary. Ask around at your next RSP what's allowed at BCT or what the current deployments are like in your state.
              Thanks man. But MOB? And what do you think a 35f has of chances of being deployed and seeing combat?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Some random questions

                1. Don't join if you don't want to deploy plain and simple. You may not deploy soon but your day will come to go downrange and earn your stripes. Some units deploy a lot and some don't at all so there is no answer to that question. I've been at my unit a year and I haven't deployed unfortunately. I know some people who have been deployed numerous times during OIF and OEF, and some who are E6's who still haven't deployed to a combat zone. There are other area's like Egypt, Kosovo, and Korea that still get deployments so don't rule those out.

                2. I would bring at least 50 dollars on a debit card, you're cell phone, and your phone charger. Yes they do allow cell phones in BCT if you ever get phone privileges; we had a few phone privileges and for those who didn't bring a cell (me lol) were left with using the pay phones which will cost you $$$$ with the phone cards you buy. The 30 dollar 300 minute card is actually charged about 14 minutes for every minute you use on base so you get about 20 minutes out of those cards, and if you get a voice mail or answer machine you just wasted a lot of that card. For your MOS I'm almost positive you will be allowed laptops, playstations, TV's etc but don't bring them to BCT. Have your family bring them to you during BCT graduation.

                3. If you are caught fraternizing in IET you may receive an article 15 and/or be in for one hell of a smoking. TRADOC has 0 tolerance for any form of fraternization, and DS's have a broad view of what it constitutes. One soldier in my cycle was writing love letters to a female and while nothing took place, they gave him an earful which put a rapid end to that. In BCT everyone is punished for anybody's mistake and that group punishment will most likely stick with you the entire cycle so restrain yourself for the 9 weeks. It is also punishable in AIT but it will be a lot easier to get away with lol.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Some random questions

                  Originally posted by That_Guy View Post
                  3. If you are caught fraternizing in IET you may receive an article 15 and/or be in for one hell of a smoking. TRADOC has 0 tolerance for any form of fraternization, and DS's have a broad view of what it constitutes. One soldier in my cycle was writing love letters to a female and while nothing took place, they gave him an earful which put a rapid end to that. In BCT everyone is punished for anybody's mistake and that group punishment will most likely stick with you the entire cycle so restrain yourself for the 9 weeks. It is also punishable in AIT but it will be a lot easier to get away with lol.
                  Do not answer questions that you are not qualified to answer. Fraternization is an officer only UCMJ offense. There is no fraternization in BCT because everyone is an enlisted member. Different regulations cover relationships of enlisted members. No where in the army is sex illegal based off the sole fact of sex and sex alone, which is what everyone thinks of when they talk about fraternization; however, an OFFICER can be guilty of fraternization without a sexual relationship.

                  Its the difference between what the rules/regs/and laws really are between what they try to tell you they are. Just because your Drill SGT said you could get an article 15...doesn't always mean you could really get one.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Some random questions

                    "Fraternization" has a specific legal definition, and canoodling among enlisted Soldiers doesn't meet that specific definition. Nevertheless, Basic Training isn't the place to meet women. You won't have much free time or energy, and you won't find the women there at their best. Apart from technical legal issues, you can live without the drama that such a liaison dangereuse would entail.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Some random questions

                      Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                      "Fraternization" has a specific legal definition, and canoodling among enlisted Soldiers doesn't meet that specific definition. Nevertheless, Basic Training isn't the place to meet women. You won't have much free time or energy, and you won't find the women there at their best. Apart from technical legal issues, you can live without the drama that such a liaison dangereuse would entail.
                      I merely used the word "fraternize" in its most fundamental definition: "Associate or form a friendship with someone, esp. when one is not supposed to." But you make a valid point, LTC. "Fratenization" means something more specific in military terms; especially once out of initial training.This is an important clarification. To be honest, in my experience the DS would use this term liberally to warn about inappropriate relationships between male and female Soldiers. Whether this term was the right one for them to use or not is definitely debatable. But I would like to clarify that this is not something I just pulled out of the blue.

                      In any case OP, you'll get thoroughly briefed on exactly what is and isn't allowed during initial training. There will be specific rules and consequences when it comes to dealing with the opposite sex. Once you complete that, you'll learn that the rules do relax and personal relationships between Soldiers are "allowed" providing they do not interfere with training, leadership positions (i.e. Officer and Enlisted, Squad leader and Squad member) and the efficacy of unit cohesion, so to speak. As others have stated above, it's just overall prudent to be cautious when getting involved with a fellow comrade.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Some random questions

                        Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                        I merely used the word "fraternize" in its most fundamental definition: "Associate or form a friendship with someone, esp. when one is not supposed to." But you make a valid point, LTC. "Fratenization" means something more specific in military terms; especially once out of initial training.This is an important clarification. To be honest, in my experience the DS would use this term liberally to warn about inappropriate relationships between male and female Soldiers. Whether this term was the right one for them to use or not is definitely debatable. But I would like to clarify that this is not something I just pulled out of the blue.
                        Two privates forming a relationship is not even "fundamental fraternization".

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Some random questions

                          Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                          She pretty much doesn't know what she is saying here. Sex can never be illegal as a generic rule in the military. Don't let anyone tell you any different, because they are just mis informed. Whether or not it is a good idea, all things considered is open to debates.
                          Rycass is a female?

                          Anyway, I just SMH when I hear Soldiers or new enlistees gripe about the deployment issue. That is part of your contract for military service and sometimes, you just have to learn the experience for yourself like the rest of us.

                          I deployed for 3 times but I am AD and there is no difference in how the components deploy or its experience. It is the same.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Some random questions

                            Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                            And just what exactly is your definition of fraternization? God only knows because it has nothing to do with his question. This is an irrelevant answer.
                            Actually, I think it was completely relevant. Even more so since it has been further clarified. The subject is an important one and as you know, subject to interpretation and rumors from the "Joe line."


                            Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                            She pretty much doesn't know what she is saying here. Sex can never be illegal as a generic rule in the military. Don't let anyone tell you any different, because they are just mis informed. Whether or not it is a good idea, all things considered is open to debates.
                            I don't recall where RyCass ever said sex in the military was illegal...


                            Personally, I say avoid pursuing the opposite sex at all costs during IET. Probably the best thing about being infantry. It's one of the only "No girls allowed" clubs!
                            Last edited by SteveLord; January 2nd, 2013, 03:42 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Some random questions

                              Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                              I don't recall where RyCass ever said sex in the military was illegal...
                              It is what she is implying by saying this...."""However, fraternization is highly frowned upon during initial training. Does this mean it doesn't happen?"""

                              I'm pretty sure she wasn't talking about playing spades together after hours. If she was than fine. Point is, there is no such thing as fraternization of any kind, whether its the sexy kind or not, when we are talking about 2 privates.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X