X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AWOL charges question

ok i have some questions. my lil brother signed up for the army guard while he was a senior in high school. he failed an english class and was going to summer school to make up the credit but never finished it.so he never graduated or got his deploma. he never went to basic training or ait. he only went to his training one weekend a month for bout 3-4 months. we cant find his discharge papers so wat kind of discharge did he get and is he allowed to buy firearms. also is that on his record, i have done some research and found some info and wondering if it is true or not if so why did he get charged. this is what i found "Under Army Regulation 630-10, Chapter 5, Army Guard and Reserve members who refuse to report to Initial Active Duty Training (IADT) are discharged for "entry level performance and conduct." Participation in weekend drills for Soldiers who have not yet gone to Basic/AIT is completely voluntary ( Army Regulation 135-91, Chapter 3), so these members who refuse or fail to attend unit drill are not considered "unsatisfactory participation." Members who report for IADT and then go AWOL are treated the same as active duty members who go absent." thanks for looking any help would be greatly appricated and all of this happened in the state of tennessee

this is the link http://usmilitary.about.com/od/justi...on/a/awol8.htm
    Last edited by 1996jeep; December 30th, 2012, 05:36 PM.

Re: AWOL charges question

I think that in order to answer your question clearly, we need more information about the situation. When did he swear in and when did he get discharged? It seems as if there are some missing pieces here. Did he go to drills and then just stop showing up? That would be considered AWOL. However, his recruiter or chain of command would have tried to contact him and get to the bottom of why he stopped showing up. You said you guys lost the discharge papers... contacting the recruiter would probably help because they would be able to tell you exactly what happened and what kind of discharge it was. Good luck

Comment

Failing to ship is not the same as AWOL or being a non participant. He was simply put out of the NG. No criminal record and he can still own a gun. He probably received his discharge paperwork in the mail to his last address listed with the NG.

AWOL/Desertion is for Active Duty only. Non participant is for those after BCT/AIT who don't show to drill for 3 months/9 UTAs or haven't been paid in the last 90 days. Failing to ship is when the applicant for whatever reason doesn't complete BCT in the timeframe allowed.

The site you listed blurs things together.
      Last edited by RedLeg; December 30th, 2012, 05:56 PM.

Comment

ok i think he swear in bout feb in 07 and he was supposed to go to basic in nov and i want to say he got discharged bout march of 2008 actually he had a warrent for his arrest he went to jail for like 4 days and got released on bail. yes he went to drills and just stopped going dont know why he would answer our calls eather. so do i just call the place where he signed up and ask his recruter or does he have to call

Comment

What's the point? The recruiter isn't going to have the discharge document and he hasn't committed a crime. The jail time was probably for another charge unrelated to the NG.

Comment

where could i find out if he has any other charges from the NG or actually wat he was charged with for jail time. i didnt know if all of the states had the same rules or not. my next question is before i go through all the hassel and try and get him a job could he work for goverment positions like county worker

Comment

Originally posted by pfcthompson View Post
              I think that in order to answer your question clearly, we need more information about the situation. When did he swear in and when did he get discharged? It seems as if there are some missing pieces here. Did he go to drills and then just stop showing up? That would be considered AWOL. However, his recruiter or chain of command would have tried to contact him and get to the bottom of why he stopped showing up. You said you guys lost the discharge papers... contacting the recruiter would probably help because they would be able to tell you exactly what happened and what kind of discharge it was. Good luck
              Don't answer questions that you are not qualified to answer. It only makes confusing situtations worse. There is no such thing as AWOL for military members who are not on Active Duty. We have covered this many times.

Comment

Originally posted by 1996jeep View Post
                where could i find out if he has any other charges from the NG or actually wat he was charged with for jail time. i didnt know if all of the states had the same rules or not. my next question is before i go through all the hassel and try and get him a job could he work for goverment positions like county worker
                You're all over the place with your questions. Contact the county/town/city that he was incarcerated in and pull an arrest record. It is possibly that the state put him in the county for failing to show up for drill. States like Indiana for example have that power, but if that was the sole reason it still wouldn't result in a criminal record.

Comment

Working...
                X