X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scored very well on asvab enlisment concern

I recently took my ASVAB and scored very well getting the required score for the job that I am interested in. I went to speak to a recruiter about joining and what is needed of me, off the back he asked me about any previous arrests and charges, I told him I had and assault charge which was simply dismissed, and a possession charge that was a misdemeanor and which by the was only "rolling papers and lighter" no ounces nothing like that found on my person and because I was the driver of the vehicle and it was found in the arm rest which is a "common area" and the passenger had less than point something grams on him I was charged with the drug paraphenllia, charges were also dismissed after paying court fees and staying out of trouble for 1 year, it was 5 years ago and happened while on vacation so I figured just paying the fines and taking the agreement of staying out of trouble at the time was easier to do then having to fight it and travel back n forth for future court proceedings, and also being told that it wont be on record seemed ok...but he said it was an automatic disqualification and there was nothing he could do and maybe a few years ago he could have gotten waived but not so easy now a days. so my question is how valid is the information he told me about waivers not being granted for things like that? I didn't get into detail with him because when I said possession charge he shot me down so should I possibly speak to another recruiter and finish telling the incident in FULL DETAIL and see what happens

Re: Scored very well on asvab enlisment concern

Originally posted by leonhuss View Post
    I recently took my ASVAB and scored very well getting the required score for the job that I am interested in. I went to speak to a recruiter about joining and what is needed of me, off the back he asked me about any previous arrests and charges, I told him I had and assault charge which was simply dismissed, and a possession charge that was a misdemeanor and which by the was only "rolling papers and lighter" no ounces nothing like that found on my person and because I was the driver of the vehicle and it was found in the arm rest which is a "common area" and the passenger had less than point something grams on him I was charged with the drug paraphenllia, charges were also dismissed after paying court fees and staying out of trouble for 1 year, it was 5 years ago and happened while on vacation so I figured just paying the fines and taking the agreement of staying out of trouble at the time was easier to do then having to fight it and travel back n forth for future court proceedings, and also being told that it wont be on record seemed ok...but he said it was an automatic disqualification and there was nothing he could do and maybe a few years ago he could have gotten waived but not so easy now a days. so my question is how valid is the information he told me about waivers not being granted for things like that? I didn't get into detail with him because when I said possession charge he shot me down so should I possibly speak to another recruiter and finish telling the incident in FULL DETAIL and see what happens

The information is very accurate. The Army is at a place where they can be picky. There's not a need to accept so many people. The armed services still accept waivers but none are accepting waivers for any possession charge. That's just a fact. If it were a war time and we needed all resources they may have been something they would waive but right now they have their pick. There are too many people with clean records too choose from and accepting someone with a tarnish like that is non existent right now.

Comment

Originally posted by leonhuss View Post
      Your future posts would be much easier to read if you used better punctuation and paragraph breaks. Due to the military drawdown it may be harder if not impossible to acquire a waiver. However, it may also be the case that the recruiter you talked to doesn't want to do the leg work of collecting your court documents and applying for your waiver--working with applicants that have a clear history is less time-consuming and more of a sure thing.

In my experience each recruiter is different. One recruiter may tell you to hit the road while another may be willing to work with you. In your case perhaps finding another recruiter would be better. Do not talk to your new recruiter about your past experience with the previous recruiter. Convey to the next recruiter that you're going to need a waiver up front due to your history. Also let the recruiter know that you are willing to do the leg work and get the necessary court documents stating that your case(s) was dismissed or "nol prossed". You will also have to write a detailed statement explaining the circumstances of your misdemeanors, and something to the effect of having learned from your mistakes of hanging with the wrong crowd etc.

Keep in mind that the Army is going through a reduction in force. Even if you find another recruiter that recruiter may tell you the same story and send you on your way. Nevertheless, you have nothing to lose in finding another recruiter and stating your case. You will always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
      Last edited by VICEROY06; December 30th, 2012, 10:27 AM.

Comment

There is currently a suspension on all drug and alcohol waivers. The information the recruiter gave you is 100% correct.

Comment

And you need only post your question ONCE, not in three separate threads.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
            Whew. I thought I was getting double vision.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
              Your future posts would be much easier to read if you used better punctuation and paragraph breaks. Due to the military drawdown it may be harder if not impossible to acquire a waiver. However, it may also be the case that the recruiter you talked to doesn't want to do the leg work of collecting your court documents and applying for your waiver--working with applicants that have a clear history is less time-consuming and more of a sure thing.

In my experience each recruiter is different. One recruiter may tell you to hit the road while another may be willing to work with you. In your case perhaps finding another recruiter would be better. Do not talk to your new recruiter about your past experience with the previous recruiter. Convey to the next recruiter that you're going to need a waiver up front due to your history. Also let the recruiter know that you are willing to do the leg work and get the necessary court documents stating that your case(s) was dismissed or "nol prossed". You will also have to write a detailed statement explaining the circumstances of your misdemeanors, and something to the effect of having learned from your mistakes of hanging with the wrong crowd etc.

Keep in mind that the Army is going through a reduction in force. Even if you find another recruiter that recruiter may tell you the same story and send you on your way. Nevertheless, you have nothing to lose in finding another recruiter and stating your case. You will always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
              Thanks for this information, it was really helpful. I've spent all day trying to find some info on this particular topic, after being told that my lifelong dream of enlisting was impossible due to my own stupid mishap from when I was only 17, but you've given me a little hope again. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                Oh, there's an even better example of this on this forum. There is a new member by the name of MasterAtArms that posts the SAME question at LEAST three times in the SAME thread asking if he has to attend BCT as a prior service member of the Navy.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                  Oh, there's an even better example of this on this forum. There is a new member by the name of MasterAtArms that posts the SAME question at LEAST three times in the SAME thread asking if he has to attend BCT as a prior service member of the Navy.
                  The guy you're talking about may have done his AIT at the Navy Construction Battalion Center. From what I've seen their idea of PT is sitting in their cars and taking a smoke after jogging a few laps.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                    OK. I'll take a look.

Comment

Working...
                    X