X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Advice on Major

For those that don't already know, I have enlisted as an 11B and plan on attending a state university close to me in which I will be joining the ROTC program and doing the whole SMP path.

With that being said, I am strongly considering pursuing a degree in nursing. With ROTC labs, does anybody here think that my course load will be too much to handle as a nursing student AND cadet?

Just seeking some advice here. Any enlightenment anybody can offer is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Re: Seeking Advice on Major

Accounting

Comment

Originally posted by Reagan View Post
      For those that don't already know, I have enlisted as an 11B and plan on attending a state university close to me in which I will be joining the ROTC program and doing the whole SMP path.

With that being said, I am strongly considering pursuing a degree in nursing. With ROTC labs, does anybody here think that my course load will be too much to handle as a nursing student AND cadet?

Just seeking some advice here. Any enlightenment anybody can offer is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
      Nursing or Accounting are both great majors that lead to actual real jobs. Just stay focused, you will be fine.

Comment

I thought he was referring to the rank ;0)

Comment

Also learn other languages as well. It will be help to market yourself to an employer.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
            Nursing or Accounting are both great majors that lead to actual real jobs. Just stay focused, you will be fine.
            Thank you for the kind words. I'm a pretty good student as is and can only see my drive increasing after OSUT.

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
            I thought he was referring to the rank ;0)
            Haha I had a feeling somebody would. My apologies friend

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
            Also learn other languages as well. It will be help to market yourself to an employer.
            I'm taking my 3rd year of Spanish, so fluency is definitely a goal of mine.

Comment

Whatever major you choose, pick one that plays to your strengths. No sense getting a four year degree in a subject you have little interest in. You'll just hate your job or end up doing something else entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                Whatever major you choose, pick one that plays to your strengths. No sense getting a four year degree in a subject you have little interest in. You'll just hate your job or end up doing something else entirely.
                There is also no sense in having a major that doesnt get you a job.

Comment

A degree in German snail mating is still a degree. Some employers do not care what field an applicant has studied in, as long as they have the paper. I too personally recommend studying for something that interests you, but if it is a small profession....don't come out of college whining when you have to make $10/hr doing something totally unrelated while you search for your dream job.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                    There is also no sense in having a major that doesnt get you a job.
                    This is half the reason I'm looking into nursing. I would like to actually like to have a job waiting for me upon graduation. I hope my Guard experience is seen as an asset/advantage rather than something that would hinder me. I see military experience as teaching me to cope with stressful situations and I am hoping any future employers see it that way as well

Comment

Originally posted by Reagan View Post
                      This is half the reason I'm looking into nursing. I would like to actually like to have a job waiting for me upon graduation. I hope my Guard experience is seen as an asset/advantage rather than something that would hinder me. I see military experience as teaching me to cope with stressful situations and I am hoping any future employers see it that way as well
                      As a RN you would not have an issue finding a job. The only drawback to accounting is you still have to pass the CPA exam, which isnt easy.

Comment

Working...
                      X