Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few more questions (from my parents)

Well firstly let me say that my talk with my parents didn't go too well... They were stuck on deployment and dying the whole time. so I've come to this forum once again to confirm a few things, I will also be asking my recruiter. But I want to see if what he is saying is somewhat true ya know? So here it goes.

1) how many NG soldiers have been killed in Iraq/Afghanistan? ( if possible include an age range?)

2) as a 12r what are the odds of me seeing combat? ( I'm asking this for them not for me I'm ready for whatever comes my way)

3) after AIT, are you sent home, or are you immediately deployed?

4) odds of dying in the guard on deployment vs everydy civilian life?

This last question is for my knowledge.

5) with all this stuff going on in Israel? I believe or Syria ( somewhere in that general region) will the US have to get involved?

Thanks in advance for the answers guys and gals.

Re: A few more questions (from my parents)

The best answer for you, OP, is this.

This is an unstable world we live in. We never know when the next conflict may come or who it's going to be with. We are the military arm of our government, and if they see fit for us to intervene then we do it. By signing up, no matter what your "job" may be, you realize that you put your life on the line for America's causes. It's a dangerous profession no matter how you look at it...and that's deployed or not. You could try to analyze it all day long, but in the end it's a choice.

You honor your commitment through enlistment and the wear of the uniform, and your actions on and off duty. You represent not only our great country, but all of those who've gone before us to keep it free.

At the end of the day, your parents will either understand that choice or not... but it's a personal choice. And it's a choice that less than 1% of the population makes these days.

Comment

I agree with eqmcclure. Though sometimes general answers can sound cliche, it is true and I believe something you can fully understand only when you are living it for yourself. I've been in the guard for a year, but I remember telling my parents about my decision to join and they were stuck on deployment and dying, too. I'm sorry that I don't know specific answers to your questions.

It is possible to find out from your recruiter once you join and know what unit you are going to how often they usually deploy. The key word there is usually. Things change, a lot, and you never know for sure. Also, if you're still trying to decide whether or not to join, I realize that answer doesn't help much. /:

Even if you never "saw combat" as a 12R, there's always risk when you deploy. I don't speak from experience, because I've never been deployed. Also, every time you get in your car to go somewhere, there is risk involved as well. I know that's not much of a comparison because being in the military definitely heightens the risk involved on your life. But if you truly want to serve your country, you have evaluated that risk. Some parents come around, some don't. But ultimately it's your decision.

There's not really a good way to answer the third question. I personally came home, and don't know when I'll be deployed. I also have friends who left AIT and went straight overseas.

It's different for every soldier. But I believe that if you want to serve your country and you have weighed the odds yourself, you can tell your parents that respectfully and let them know that no one really knows exact answers to their questions. But I hope you have the best of luck in the future and that if you decide or have decided to so this that your parents will be at peace with everything and be willing to accept all of the unknowns involved.

Comment

Originally posted by iTwitchE View Post
        Well firstly let me say that my talk with my parents didn't go too well... They were stuck on deployment and dying the whole time. so I've come to this forum once again to confirm a few things, I will also be asking my recruiter. But I want to see if what he is saying is somewhat true ya know? So here it goes.

1) how many NG soldiers have been killed in Iraq/Afghanistan? ( if possible include an age range?)

2) as a 12r what are the odds of me seeing combat? ( I'm asking this for them not for me I'm ready for whatever comes my way)

3) after AIT, are you sent home, or are you immediately deployed?

4) odds of dying in the guard on deployment vs everydy civilian life?

This last question is for my knowledge.

5) with all this stuff going on in Israel? I believe or Syria ( somewhere in that general region) will the US have to get involved?

Thanks in advance for the answers guys and gals.
        If your parents have these concerns; take them with you to the recruiter for answers. To me, a Soldier that is killed, no longer matters if he was NG, AR or RA. He/she was just one of us period.

I been on three combat deployments in which the first (2005) was the most dangerous and I am still around to tell the tale.

Comment

The whole purpose of this post is just pointless. Parents who are this ridiculously obsurd about deployment/death are never going to comprehend any realistic explanations. They have a twisted view thanks to CNN and the media.

Comment

Working...
          X