X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just enlisted and have a couple questions

So I just enlisted as an 11b and I don't leave for basics until July. So I'll be around for my last semester at my community college. I got the student loan repayment for my current loans and at meps one of the job consulars was saying that they will also pay back any new student loans I take out as long as I don't exceed 50k. Is that true? If I took out a loan now to pay for my last semester the national guard will pay that loan as well?

Re: Just enlisted and have a couple questions

I don't think that is true but I could be wrong..However from the day you enlist you become eligible for TA (tuition assistance). Speak with your recruiter.

Comment

I don't think that is true either. I seem to remember it saying on my contract that they would only pay back loans already taken out and would not repay any new loans. Check your paperwork as it should have everything spelled out in there for you.

Comment

How do I get a copy of my paperwork? And I was told TA doesn't start until after basics. So my recruiter is the one that sets up my TA? Also when does my loan repayments start?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan.S.B View Post
          How do I get a copy of my paperwork? And I was told TA doesn't start until after basics. So my recruiter is the one that sets up my TA? Also when does my loan repayments start?
          So you enlisted, signed a contract, swore in, said you understood everything, yet don't have the answers to the simplest questions as to the benefits you joined for.

This is why people say recruiters lie.

Comment

No the problem is one person tells me one thing another says something different. At no time did I say my recruiter lied I am just looking for clarification. Simple as that now I'm pretty sure I do not get TA until after basics as far as my student loans being rapid I'm hearing two totally different things from my recruiter and the ppl at meps.

Comment

You didn't get your paperwork when you left MEPS? You should have had a big bundle of paperwork with you. I would look at mine, but it is in my locker at Fort Jackson.

Comment

No my recruiter took it with him.

Comment

Then I would contact your recruiter and get a full copy of your contract from him.

Comment

No my recruiter took it with him.
                    That contract is yours to keep after you leave MEPS...not your recruiter. You get TA from date of enlistment not after basic. Make use of your benefits as soon as you join and by all means make sure you read your docs. Either your recruiter has failed you or you weren't paying attention.

Comment

So I just enlisted as an 11b and I don't leave for basics until July. So I'll be around for my last semester at my community college. I got the student loan repayment for my current loans and at meps one of the job consulars was saying that they will also pay back any new student loans I take out as long as I don't exceed 50k. Is that true? If I took out a loan now to pay for my last semester the national guard will pay that loan as well?
                      The answer is, no, OP. The only loans that will be repaid are the ones that are established at the time you sign your initial contract. So, for example, let say you attend more school after BCT and AIT. If you take out another loan, THAT loan will not be covered under your SLRP agreement. Make sense?

The 50K the councilor was talking about is the amount your SLRP can be paid back. But, again, you have to have taken out those loans before you enlisted.

Don't feel bad, guys, if you don't entirely understand the SLRP process. There's a lot of well intended people that don't understand all the ins and outs of the incentives offered and they often misdirect their audience. Getting clarification when you don't understand is a wise move. Just be sure to be diligent in your research and always ask your recruiter to clarify something until you understand the commitment you are making.

Comment

Do I get the federal or the state TA right now? And does my recruiter set that up? Or do I need to apply on goarmyed.com?
                        Also how long will it take for the army to have me in their system?
                        Last edited by Ryan.S.B; December 26th, 2012, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Do I get the federal or the state TA right now? And does my recruiter set that up? Or do I need to apply on goarmyed.com?
                          Also how long will it take for the army to have me in their system?
                          You should qualify for Federal TA before completing your training. This is not "automatically" applied to your college bursar, so you'll need to set this up through goarmyed.com yourself. I"m sure your recruiter can help you through the process. Any GI Bill you qualify for will be available once your initial training is complete (i.e. BCT and AIT). Check with your recruiter on State TA; each state offers different things.

Comment

Working...
                          X