X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Likelihood of new wars

The general theme on this board regarding new enlistments is that the military is downsizing and is becoming more selective. The threat of war with Iran seems to be escalating. Are they just being safe with spending and assuming they can use current numbers while they open recruiting back up, if we go to war? What do ya'll think?

Re: Likelihood of new wars

This topic is not NG related and pure speculation. The mods will most likely close this thread.

Good day.

Comment

Since I am the forum's best armchair general....and while we are spewing pure nonsense, which is my expertise.....I will pontificate upon this topic. To answer your question, I say, "Yes!"

My answer is infallible. You may lock the thread, nothing can be added or taken away.
      Last edited by Chaplain4me; December 17th, 2012, 10:33 AM.

Comment

I think it's safe to say, OP, that any answer you get is pure speculation. Perhaps you can elaborate on your interest on this topic? Are you currently trying to enlist and are concerned about deployments? Or, on the other end, is this something you're hoping will come to pass so that you can be out there in the thick of things?

Comment

I am pending enlistment now. I've taken the ASVAB and I am meeting with recruiter this week to polish off some paperwork before I go to MEPS. I'm not concerned about deployments and I plan to volunteer. I'm really just looking to hear peoples thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
            This topic is not NG related and pure speculation. The mods will most likely close this thread.

Good day.
            No need to be a sour troll today. This question and similar get asked and are perfectly understandable and acceptable. As long as it doesn't spiral into politics, it should be fine.

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
            I think it's safe to say, OP, that any answer you get is pure speculation. Perhaps you can elaborate on your interest on this topic? Are you currently trying to enlist and are concerned about deployments? Or, on the other end, is this something you're hoping will come to pass so that you can be out there in the thick of things?
            Best reply one can give to the OP.

Comment

I actually see war with Syria being more likely than war with Iran and even that is a little far fetched. IF the US decides to intervene in Syria it will probably be to the same extent that we intervened in Lybia with air strikes to help level the playing field between the rebels and the oppresive Asad regime. As things stand right now the war in Iraq is over and the war in Afghanistan is about to draw down so deployments will become less frequent.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                No need to be a sour troll today. This question and similar get asked and are perfectly understandable and acceptable. As long as it doesn't spiral into politics, it should be fine.

Best reply one can give to the OP.
                Nobody is a sour troll and I suggest as a moderator, you set the example with decorum and respect and refrain from the name calling. I know you no longer serving but still that is no excuse to act inappropriate to service members.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                  Nobody is a sour troll and I suggest as a moderator, you set the example with decorum and respect and refrain from the name calling. I know you no longer serving but still that is no excuse to act inappropriate to service members.
                  Thanks for the advice, fmcityslicker, but we got it under control.

Comment

Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
                    I actually see war with Syria being more likely than war with Iran and even that is a little far fetched. IF the US decides to intervene in Syria it will probably be to the same extent that we intervened in Lybia with air strikes to help level the playing field between the rebels and the oppresive Asad regime. As things stand right now the war in Iraq is over and the war in Afghanistan is about to draw down so deployments will become less frequent.
                    I do believe that I heard a news report that we have already put patriot missiles on Turkey's boarder w/Syria.

Really anything can happen, I was reading about hostilities between China and Japan recently, Britain and Argentina over the Falkland Islands. North Korea v. South Korea. Russia could invade Georgia again. There's still that thing going on in the Balkans. Israel may invade Iran, Egypt Israel. If you've been watching the news.....the world is not a stable place....

****Mr. LOKI**** You could have told someone you ETS.
                    Last edited by Chaplain4me; December 17th, 2012, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                      I do believe that I heard a news report that we have already put patriot missiles on Turkey's boarder w/Syria.
                      Yea we sent 400 troops to Turkey. here is a new report on that. http://www.newser.com/story/159315/u...to-turkey.html

Comment

As they say in financial circles past performance is no guarentee of future returns. But using that logic, the U.S.A.'s longest period without a major "war" since WWII was 16-17 years (Vietnam to Desert Storm). Who knows if this will continue in the future or not into the future. There are very good reasons for another war and good reasons not to go to war with any number of countries. As for your other question, recruitment standards in the past have opened up during major conflicts.

Comment

This may help answer you're question http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RC1Mepk_Sw

Comment

Originally posted by ga12 View Post
                            I am pending enlistment now. I've taken the ASVAB and I am meeting with recruiter this week to polish off some paperwork before I go to MEPS. I'm not concerned about deployments and I plan to volunteer. I'm really just looking to hear peoples thoughts.
                            Makes sense! Looks like you're getting some good perspectives on the issue.

Comment

Working...
                            X