Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just received Discharge papers from the Michigan National Guard to sign.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I just received Discharge papers from the Michigan National Guard to sign.

    Today I had to sign for a piece of mail and when I opened it I found discharge papers for me to sign and send back in the enclosed envelope(there was no self addressed envelope. I'm not surprised). I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in Jan. 2012 and have been on a permanent profile since then. I do not understand why this was not handled by my chain of command, and the papers give me three options;

    1. ( ) Request that I be given an Honorable discharge from the Army National Guard and as a Reserve of the Army for medical retention disqualification, in accordance with (lAW) NGR 600-200, Chapter 6, Paragraph 6-35L (8). I understand that if I am a VSI (VOLUNTARY SEPARATION INCENTIVE)/SSB
    (SPECIAL SEPARATION BENEFIT) recipient I will forfeit all pay if I check this section. I will no longer
    have any military status upon discharge.

    2.( ) Request that I be given an Honorable Discharge from the Army National Guard and transferred to
    the Retired Reserve. I understand this option is only available if I am eligible for reserve retirement
    benefits (*issued a "20 Year Letter"). As a member of the Retired Reserve, I will not be eligible for retired
    payor other benefits unless otherwise entitled by law and become fully eligible (normally age 60).
    *Individuals with a minimum of 15 years of creditable service towards retirement, who are not found
    qualified for continued military service for medical reasons, may be entitled to reserve retirement benefits
    that are the same as those issued a "20 Year Letter". I understand that if I am a VSI/SSB recipient I am
    authorized to check this block without forfeiture of pay.

    3.( ) Request I be given a reevaluation by a Physical Evaluation Board (PEB). I will be required to submit
    cur ent pertinent medical documentation to support this request. I will be notified at a later date where to
    send this information. Because this PEB will be for a non-duty related condition, I am not entitled to
    reimbursement for any expenses incurred for travel, lodging, etc., as it pertains to this process. If this is
    your election immediate notification must be made to.....

    Evidently I have no option for a medical discharge and no disability rating. My question I put forth to the community is this:
    Is this the normal way a situation like this is handled? Should I just check the first option(I am not qualified for the second. The third will not help me because I know I can no longer do a lot of things that I used to and although it is very depressing I Know I cannot stay in the Guard, but is there anyway this would be considered service connected, or aggravated by continued service? If I lose my Tricare I just plain cannot afford to continue with the treatments as they are extremely expensive and that is going to put me in a world of hurt. I can use the VA health care system as a prior active duty Marine, but the rub there is a 250 mile one way trip to the arthritis clinic with an old tired gas guzzling truck. I have not worked in over two years because of a prior shoulder rotator cuff surgery in may 2011which kept me out of action for 8 months, followed by the RA. It has been a real nightmare the last couple years.

    So anyone with any valuable information I could use, please respond to my post. I need all the help I can get. Thank you in advance for your help. Semper Fi.

  • #2
    Re: I just received Discharge papers from the Michigan National Guard to sign.

    Originally posted by Jarhead View Post
    Today I had to sign for a piece of mail and when I opened it I found discharge papers for me to sign and send back in the enclosed envelope(there was no self addressed envelope. I'm not surprised). I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in Jan. 2012 and have been on a permanent profile since then. I do not understand why this was not handled by my chain of command, and the papers give me three options;

    1. ( ) Request that I be given an Honorable discharge from the Army National Guard and as a Reserve of the Army for medical retention disqualification, in accordance with (lAW) NGR 600-200, Chapter 6, Paragraph 6-35L (8). I understand that if I am a VSI (VOLUNTARY SEPARATION INCENTIVE)/SSB
    (SPECIAL SEPARATION BENEFIT) recipient I will forfeit all pay if I check this section. I will no longer
    have any military status upon discharge.

    2.( ) Request that I be given an Honorable Discharge from the Army National Guard and transferred to
    the Retired Reserve. I understand this option is only available if I am eligible for reserve retirement
    benefits (*issued a "20 Year Letter"). As a member of the Retired Reserve, I will not be eligible for retired
    payor other benefits unless otherwise entitled by law and become fully eligible (normally age 60).
    *Individuals with a minimum of 15 years of creditable service towards retirement, who are not found
    qualified for continued military service for medical reasons, may be entitled to reserve retirement benefits
    that are the same as those issued a "20 Year Letter". I understand that if I am a VSI/SSB recipient I am
    authorized to check this block without forfeiture of pay.

    3.( ) Request I be given a reevaluation by a Physical Evaluation Board (PEB). I will be required to submit
    cur ent pertinent medical documentation to support this request. I will be notified at a later date where to
    send this information. Because this PEB will be for a non-duty related condition, I am not entitled to
    reimbursement for any expenses incurred for travel, lodging, etc., as it pertains to this process. If this is
    your election immediate notification must be made to.....

    Evidently I have no option for a medical discharge and no disability rating. My question I put forth to the community is this:
    Is this the normal way a situation like this is handled? Should I just check the first option(I am not qualified for the second. The third will not help me because I know I can no longer do a lot of things that I used to and although it is very depressing I Know I cannot stay in the Guard, but is there anyway this would be considered service connected, or aggravated by continued service? If I lose my Tricare I just plain cannot afford to continue with the treatments as they are extremely expensive and that is going to put me in a world of hurt. I can use the VA health care system as a prior active duty Marine, but the rub there is a 250 mile one way trip to the arthritis clinic with an old tired gas guzzling truck. I have not worked in over two years because of a prior shoulder rotator cuff surgery in may 2011which kept me out of action for 8 months, followed by the RA. It has been a real nightmare the last couple years.

    So anyone with any valuable information I could use, please respond to my post. I need all the help I can get. Thank you in advance for your help. Semper Fi.
    Answer these...

    Was there a LOD investigation for your condition?

    Do you have any other conditions that might be considred unfit for service?

    If the answer to the above was yes, is there an LOD for those, do you feel they are service connected?

    Do you feel that the arthritis is service connected? If so, can you prove it with medical evidence?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: I just received Discharge papers from the Michigan National Guard to sign.

      Oh, and how many years of service do you have?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: I just received Discharge papers from the Michigan National Guard to sign.

        4 years in the Marine Corp and 4 in the guard. I just want to know what my options are before I blindly sign a piece of paper. I was in Camp Lejeune for 3 1/2 years drinking, eating, and bathing in contaminated water at French Creek and Holcomb Boulevard Industrial area, if anybody has heard of that mess. I am not trying to get something for nothing, but in the same sense I know what happens if you don't ask questions before you sign on the line. I was never seen by anyone other than civilian and VA doctors, and I've no idea what an LOD is.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: I just received Discharge papers from the Michigan National Guard to sign.

          Obviously, your chain of command got involved if you were provided this documentation. Appears to be a a pre-existing condition. You can always use your Guard's legal services or call militaryonesource outside the advice of Paralegal if you so desire.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: I just received Discharge papers from the Michigan National Guard to sign.

            Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
            Obviously, your chain of command got involved if you were provided this documentation. Appears to be a a pre-existing condition. You can always use your Guard's legal services or call militaryonesource outside the advice of Paralegal if you so desire.
            No. He needs to call a MEB/PEB attorney.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: I just received Discharge papers from the Michigan National Guard to sign.

              Originally posted by Jarhead View Post
              4 years in the Marine Corp and 4 in the guard. I just want to know what my options are before I blindly sign a piece of paper. I was in Camp Lejeune for 3 1/2 years drinking, eating, and bathing in contaminated water at French Creek and Holcomb Boulevard Industrial area, if anybody has heard of that mess. I am not trying to get something for nothing, but in the same sense I know what happens if you don't ask questions before you sign on the line. I was never seen by anyone other than civilian and VA doctors, and I've no idea what an LOD is.
              LOD is a line of duty investigation. It is what is conducted when a reservist has a medical condition to determine if the condition was within the scope of the military duties. An approved LOD would send you to a medical evaluation board, because it would be considered duty related. Non duty related stuff goes straight to the Non duty related PEB, like your memo says. Can you prove it is duty related / service connected?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: I just received Discharge papers from the Michigan National Guard to sign.

                Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                No. He needs to call a MEB/PEB attorney.
                I did not know there is an attorney dedicated to that outside of base legal.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: I just received Discharge papers from the Michigan National Guard to sign.

                  Originally posted by Jarhead View Post
                  4 years in the Marine Corp and 4 in the guard. I just want to know what my options are before I blindly sign a piece of paper. I was in Camp Lejeune for 3 1/2 years drinking, eating, and bathing in contaminated water at French Creek and Holcomb Boulevard Industrial area, if anybody has heard of that mess. I am not trying to get something for nothing, but in the same sense I know what happens if you don't ask questions before you sign on the line. I was never seen by anyone other than civilian and VA doctors, and I've no idea what an LOD is.
                  I was at Lejeune back in 87; maybe I could get something Devil, remember to have and keep all your medical records.

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Le..._contamination

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: I just received Discharge papers from the Michigan National Guard to sign.

                    Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                    I was at Lejeune back in 87; maybe I could get something Devil, remember to have and keep all your medical records.

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Le..._contamination
                    https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/8525740...B?opendocument

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: I just received Discharge papers from the Michigan National Guard to sign.

                      Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                      LOD is a line of duty investigation. It is what is conducted when a reservist has a medical condition to determine if the condition was within the scope of the military duties. An approved LOD would send you to a medical evaluation board, because it would be considered duty related. Non duty related stuff goes straight to the Non duty related PEB, like your memo says. Can you prove it is duty related / service connected?
                      Exactly. When I was in the Connecticut ARNG; I got hurt at drill (sprained ankle) and a LOD was conducted/paperwork filled out and completed and I was able to go to medical sick call at Groton Naval Base that drill weekend.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: I just received Discharge papers from the Michigan National Guard to sign.

                        It is not a pre-existing condition, you would know when one morning you can't get out of bed and have to use a cane to walk, and try brushing your teeth. I was always exercising because i liked feeling healthy not to mention I love the outdoors and hunting, fishing. thats all been taken away from me, it's really disheartening to be this way. At fifty years old there is no way i could go anothe 12 years, and i really enjoyed being a soldier.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: I just received Discharge papers from the Michigan National Guard to sign.

                          Well I'm guessing I will just take the Honorable discharge, and fight it out with the VA. I already have experience with that side of the house. From what I understand it is a logistical nightmare to go through the whole meb peb system, and if they did not do something they should have the VA will sort it out in the end. I need to get on with my new life as a limited ability person(politically correct?). I can just start hunting from My truck. Fishing is going to be limited though.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: I just received Discharge papers from the Michigan National Guard to sign.

                            Originally posted by Jarhead View Post
                            It is not a pre-existing condition, you would know when one morning you can't get out of bed and have to use a cane to walk, and try brushing your teeth. I was always exercising because i liked feeling healthy not to mention I love the outdoors and hunting, fishing. thats all been taken away from me, it's really disheartening to be this way. At fifty years old there is no way i could go anothe 12 years, and i really enjoyed being a soldier.
                            I am soon to be 47 and I am AD so I know what you mean brother.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: I just received Discharge papers from the Michigan National Guard to sign.

                              Originally posted by Jarhead View Post
                              Well I'm guessing I will just take the Honorable discharge, and fight it out with the VA. I already have experience with that side of the house. From what I understand it is a logistical nightmare to go through the whole meb peb system, and if they did not do something they should have the VA will sort it out in the end. I need to get on with my new life as a limited ability person(politically correct?). I can just start hunting from My truck. Fishing is going to be limited though.
                              Nooooo. The meb/peb process now runs through IDES....it is integrated with the va system. If entitled to a va rating you would gets one eons faster via IDES instead of going to the VA on your own.
                              Not to mention if they can prove its service connected you would lose retirement benefits. YOU NEED TO CALL AN MEB/PEB LAWYER. It's free make the call.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X