X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumped? human resources questions

Hi. 8 months ago I thought I was discharged from the national guard. I was on my 4th year of my six year contract and I served in Iraq in 2009. This past summer I made a mistake and due to issues with my family at the time I skipped my annual training. I was sent an awol letter and did not talk to my unit until after the at period had ended. At the time I was in such a deep depression I did not have any desire to speak to anyone. I know I made a mistake, trust me I regret it sincerely and have been affected by it ever since. I am deeply saddened and ashamed that I did it. I know hindsight is 20/20 but I wish I could take it back. A few weeks ago though I tried to rectify my mistake and began speaking to a recruiter in the state I just moved to, he said that he believes there is a strong chance that my waiver will be processed based on what he's .seen recently as far as waivers in this state. But my problem is that even though I was in at my unit in May signing the discharge papers (I was given a general discharge for unsatisfactory participation) I am still in the Guard in that state. I was actually sent a letter last week telling me that I had missed the November drill and I need to report to drill in two weeks. I contacted my old unit and they said they'd look into it. So if any state admin ncos have any insight into this it would be greatly appreciated. I was told i should have been fully out by July.. 5 months ago. The recruiter also mentioned an interstate transfer if I am infact still in that states guard not being processed for discharge. Any chance this could work as it would not require a waiver? If thats not the case Im just wondering how long this process will take because I need an NGB 22 to even start trying to re enlist. And why Id get a letter saying to report to drill after this amount of time?
    Thanks for any and all info I really appreciate anything

Re: Stumped? human resources questions

Originally posted by turbo1krr View Post
    Hi. 8 months ago I thought I was discharged from the national guard. I was on my 4th year of my six year contract and I served in Iraq in 2009. This past summer I made a mistake and due to issues with my family at the time I skipped my annual training. I was sent an awol letter and did not talk to my unit until after the at period had ended. At the time I was in such a deep depression I did not have any desire to speak to anyone. I know I made a mistake, trust me I regret it sincerely and have been affected by it ever since. I am deeply saddened and ashamed that I did it. I know hindsight is 20/20 but I wish I could take it back. A few weeks ago though I tried to rectify my mistake and began speaking to a recruiter in the state I just moved to, he said that he believes there is a strong chance that my waiver will be processed based on what he's .seen recently as far as waivers in this state. But my problem is that even though I was in at my unit in May signing the discharge papers (I was given a general discharge for unsatisfactory participation) I am still in the Guard in that state. I was actually sent a letter last week telling me that I had missed the November drill and I need to report to drill in two weeks. I contacted my old unit and they said they'd look into it. So if any state admin ncos have any insight into this it would be greatly appreciated. I was told i should have been fully out by July.. 5 months ago. The recruiter also mentioned an interstate transfer if I am infact still in that states guard not being processed for discharge. Any chance this could work as it would not require a waiver? If thats not the case Im just wondering how long this process will take because I need an NGB 22 to even start trying to re enlist. And why Id get a letter saying to report to drill after this amount of time?
    Thanks for any and all info I really appreciate anything
    You don't sign discharge papers at a unit. You sign INITIATION of discharge papers. If you do not have a NGB 22, or an order separating you, you are still in the Guard.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      You don't sign discharge papers at a unit. You sign INITIATION of discharge papers. If you do not have a NGB 22, or an order separating you, you are still in the Guard.
      He could of been sent to the IRR Control Group (since his 8 year obligation has not been completed) and an NGB 22 cut with SOLDIER UNAVAILABLE TO SIGN annotated on it.

Comment

OP, have you changed residences since your AWOL?

Comment

ParalegalNCO: So an interstate transfer is a good shot? Whats up with the letter sayingto report after initiation of discharge papers were signed?? Thanks for your response and time.

Fm: Yes I moved one state over last month.

Thanks for your time

Comment

ParalegalNCO: So an interstate transfer is a good shot? Whats up with the letter sayingto report after initiation of discharge papers were signed?? Thanks for your response and time.

Fm: Yes I moved one state over last month.

Thanks for your time
            If you did not have your mail forwarded; your NGB discharge could have been sent there if that was your HOR while in the Guard.

Comment

Paralegal: I read the papers. We intend to charecterize your discharge as general and all the other legalise. I guess I should have originally sais I signed the initiation of discharge papers. The state human resources officer is not yet able to figure out if Iam in or out and why I rwcieved that letter. My recruitwr and former unit are both working on it... obviously I don't know where my ngb 22 is... I asked here hoping to get insight from any recruiters or admin nco that may have encountered something like this before to better understand my situation. If you dont habe any insight take your own advice and dont bother replying.

Comment

The address has remained the same with my old unit. The letter had the current date on it stating the exact dates I missed. Well after my unit said I was supposed to be discharged. A month or two at max after I signed the initiation of discharge papers. As of now the recruiter is going firward witn the interstate transfer.

Comment

The address has remained the same with my old unit. The letter had the current date on it stating the exact dates I missed. Well after my unit said I was supposed to be discharged. A month or two at max after I signed the initiation of discharge papers. As of now the recruiter is going firward witn the interstate transfer.
                  It sounds like you've got a good recruiter helping you through this process. If no one else chimes in with useful tips, be sure to let us know how things pan out for you. I'm interested to hear the outcome. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X