X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteering?

So I'm going home after this semester in college and staying there until I ship to basic in March (obviously im still going to go to my drills). But I was wondering, is it okay to try and like "volunteer" to work with a recruiter if they are doing events in my hometown area, or is that something that's not done? Or could I suggest to a recruiter close to my area to do an event at my former highschool and help out with it? I ask because I had to make up a drill that I missed and I did that by talking to some students with some recruiters and I really liked it so I was hoping to do a little bit more of that while i'm away from school.

Re: Volunteering?

First and foremost, bring this up with your chain of command. Regardless of what anyone says on this forum your commander is going to be the approving authority. He/she might be ok with it or they might not, it really just depends.

Comment

Sometimes your supply sergeant has projects requiring some extra bodies that you can earn a little cash for. I believe this was a special type of funding/pay, but I can't remember what it was called.

Comment

See here's some info, I drill in Mankato, MN. I go to school in Winona, MN. And my hometown is St. Germain, WI which is where I will be living until I go to basic, so it's not something I could do with my specific drill unit. It would be more like me calling up recruiters close to my home area in Wisconsin. But I should ask my chain of command if this is okay?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          Sometimes your supply sergeant has projects requiring some extra bodies that you can earn a little cash for. I believe this was a special type of funding/pay, but I can't remember what it was called.
          I believe it is "RMP" (or at least that is what it sounds like).

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeGuard View Post
            But I should ask my chain of command if this is okay?
            Should you ask your chain of command? Why is this even a question? Absolutely ask your chain of command first!!!

Comment

There are many, many different pay codes that will cover this. Most simply call them ADA/RMA's as generic terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
                Should you ask your chain of command? Why is this even a question? Absolutely ask your chain of command first!!!
                I asked because I wasn't expected to get paid. I just wanted to help out or something over my holiday, but I will ask COC.

Comment

I asked because I wasn't expected to get paid. I just wanted to help out or something over my holiday, but I will ask COC.
                  If you are trying to use that time spent assisting a recruiter to make up a missed drill then you will get paid.

Comment

I already made up the drill I missed with a recruiter. This is more like while I'm on vacation at home, I want to help do things in the NG in addition to my drills, and I figured the way I could do that would be to talk to a recruiter in my hometown area and volunteer my services/time, if that makes sense.

Comment

I already made up the drill I missed with a recruiter. This is more like while I'm on vacation at home, I want to help do things in the NG in addition to my drills, and I figured the way I could do that would be to talk to a recruiter in my hometown area and volunteer my services/time, if that makes sense.
                      I ask because I had to make up a drill that I missed and I did that by talking to some students with some recruiters .
                      I guess I misunderstood your original post.

Recruiting command has funds throughout the year for recruiters assistants which is typically an E-1 through E-4 that helps a local recruiter. Sometimes these funds allow the soldier to go on active duty orders (title 32) for a short period of time ranging from a few days to several weeks. With shrinking budgets all over the place I'm sure funds for the RA's is pretty scarce. GRAP is gone too BTW, so by voluneering your time without pay to help out a recruiter will really be out of the goodness of your heart lol!

Comment

Yeah I have no problem volunteering without pay to work with a recruiter. I'm just passionate about this and since i'll be having some free time for the next three months, I thought it might be a good use of my time

Comment

How about a soup kitchen?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                            How about a soup kitchen?
                            I meant passionate about NG stuff lol although I could always volunteer at a soup kitchen :P

Comment

I'm certain the local Recruiter would welcome the assistance, especially since you are from the school you'd like to assist at. Find out who the local Recruiter is and let him/her know you're looking to help in any way. Hard work does not go unnoticed.

Comment

Working...
                              X