X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Guard go directly into the IRR

Can a member of the Guard go directly from a drilling unit to the IRR? I would like to take a GS contract for a year deployment but I do not want to go into the ING. My S-1 is saying that the only way to do this is to go the DD form 368 route get released, join the reserves go to a unit and then request to go into the IRR.

Re: Can Guard go directly into the IRR

You can go into the IRzr from a TPU staus. Going into the USAR would cause even moe of a delay as you would turn around and have to get a release from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Burd View Post
      Can a member of the Guard go directly from a drilling unit to the IRR? I would like to take a GS contract for a year deployment but I do not want to go into the ING. My S-1 is saying that the only way to do this is to go the DD form 368 route get released, join the reserves go to a unit and then request to go into the IRR.
      Your S-1 is smoking crack. You can go into the IRR...but why wouldn't you want to go into the ING? That would be easier.

Comment

Right, nearly all of the people who ask about this are involved with other government gigs. IRR would make you eligible to be plucked for a deployment...from all 3 Army branches. Probably not ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          Right, nearly all of the people who ask about this are involved with other government gigs. IRR would make you eligible to be plucked for a deployment...from all 3 Army branches. Probably not ideal.
          Current Army G1 guidance strongly discourages involuntary mobilization of IRR Soldiers.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
            Current Army G1 guidance strongly discourages involuntary mobilization of IRR Soldiers.
            I hardly ever hear of anyone being mobilized involuntarily from the IRR now. With that said, ING is the way to go.

Comment

Since my question relates, if one goes into the ING or the IRR, are they still accuring TIS/TIG or are they basically halting thier career?

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                Since my question relates, if one goes into the ING or the IRR, are they still accuring TIS/TIG or are they basically halting thier career?
                Officers cannot go into the ING. You can get promoted in the IRR if that is what you are asking.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                  Officers cannot go into the ING. You can get promoted in the IRR if that is what you are asking.
                  You can be promoted faster in the IRR than you can as an active drilling member in some states like New Jersey.

Comment

That was exactly what I was asking.

An opportunity arose to go to the sandbox as a civilian contractor but I wan't sure how it would play out.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                      Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                      I hardly ever hear of anyone being mobilized involuntarily from the IRR now. With that said, ING is the way to go.
                      Yes, but all of which could change. Still a degree of risk. I am sure everyone was thinking the same thingon 9-10-2011 no?

Comment

Working...
                      X